Day trip from Amsterdam

Search

Day trip from Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2003, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trip from Amsterdam

We will be in Amsterdam for 8 nights beginning March 26th. We would like suggestions for a train trip to an attractive town to wander and explore for a day. We have been to Haarlem, Delft, Leiden, Marken, Voldendam and Middleburg. We are considering another visit to Leiden and would like to hear from others which towns they have enjoyed visiting from Amsterdam. Thanks.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 06:45 AM
ira

Hi Sally,<BR> Gouda is a nice town. Great cheese, too.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 08:07 AM

While Rotterdam is no longer a charming old-fashioned town, alas, the museums make it worth a visit! The Kunsthal, for example, has an exhibit on now called 'Impressionism: the miracle of color' which is terrific. Boymans-van Beuningen is world-class, the architecture museum is fascinating and the harbor tour is great!
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 08:45 AM

Brussels is only a 3 hour trip. There's about a day's worth of stuff to do there.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks snoopy. I agree, there are wonderful places to visit in Belgium. Our last trip was to Brussels, Ghent, Brugge and then up the coast to Middleburg and to Amsterdam. That was a terrific itinerary.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 11:42 AM

This past October, we took the train from Amsterdam Centraal to Enkhuizen. Just past the train station is a tourist office where you buy tickets to go to the Zuiderzee Folk Museum (recreation of 16-17th century village). You can board a ferry to take you to the outdoor museum, which is a village created from actual cottages and shops brought from other locales. There are craftsmen demonstrating the 'how-to's', such as making rope, carving wood, smoking fish, etc. It is a wonderful outing to do, and gives such a flavor of Dutch living in the past. Also, there were some beautiful &quot;Clipper&quot;-type ships in the harbor, as well as a number of kite-surfers.<BR>The train ride takes less than an hour. I don't have it handy what the entrance fees were, guessing $9-12 per person? On this web http://www.hollandmuseums.nl/ click on English, then All Museums, then search for Zuiderzee.<BR>The town of Enkhuizen is also delightful, so save time for strolling through its shopping area.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 03:25 AM

I live in Weesp, which is a 15 min train ride from Amsterdam. I recommend training to Weesp, and renting bikes and then going to any of the following towns: Abcoude, Loenen, Muiden, Muiderberg, Loosdrecht. Weesp has a lovely tea garden called the Thee Tuin - it's open on Fri and Sat only. Enjoy your trip. Just realized, you're here in March ... may be too cold to bike, but then I would go to Loenen or Naarden Vesting then. They are both lovely towns. Cheers, Tracy
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 03:35 AM

my favorite town is Utrecht, with the canals below street level. I also love Sheveninigen (probably spelled wrong...never even tried to pronounce it) and was there in the fall. A storm had picked up off the coast and the ocean there was very rough and beautiful to look at. Walk along the trail close to town to the north where the germans built their world war 2 battlements; its very atmospheric. There were surfers from Germany down the coast enjoying the heavy surf when i was there.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 05:16 PM

Check out Keukenhoff Garden, outside of Lisse, breathtaking! Just ask the vvv or your hotel folks and you will be able to get there via train and bus easily.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 03:55 AM

Depends a bit on what type of things you like ofcourse. End of March, flowertime -&gt; Lisse, Keukenhof. If you prefer a town, do some shopping and enjoy the architecture: Utrecht or Amersfoort (Saturdays are the most popular for shopping, expect the cities to be crowded but cosy). If you're out of luck and the weather is bad, it might be a good idea to go to Apeldoorn and visit the castle &quot;het Loo&quot;. Or, if you enjoy getting your head cleaned from the everyday buzz or just want to recover from a hangover... Scheveningen beach. That goes nicely with a visit to Den Haag (the Hague). Make sure you visit Madurodam if you have children.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 04:23 AM
ira

Hi Howitzer,<BR><BR> S'Cheveningen. There is a short stop between the S and the CH, which is pronoounced as the ch in the Scottish loch or nicht, the e is as in 'way'.<BR><BR> S' CHAY ven ing en<BR><BR> Lovely place.<BR><BR> Also, Den Hague is nice.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 05:20 AM

ira,<BR><BR>I'm not sure where you're from, but there definitely is no pause between the S and the CH in Scheveningen. Your observation about the ch in &quot;Loch&quot; is a good one though.<BR><BR>Note that Scheveningen is not a town in itself, it's a part of Den Haag (also known as &quot;'s Gravenhage&quot;, BTW. This is what you may find on many roadsigns).