day or night train to Munich?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2003, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be travelling from either Bologna or Verona to Munich. I am planning to take a night train to give me more time, however I am wondering if I am blowing it in the scenery dept. Are the mountain views worth the day trip?
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 05:18 AM

Hi Larry,<BR><BR>My wife and I had the same choice two years ago. We chose the night train. Our thoughts:<BR><BR>1. How many hours of scenery is enough?<BR>2. The time 'saved' was important to us.<BR>3. We were going to travel from Munich to Fussen, Garmisch, Innsbruck, then through Austria to Salzburg using back roads; and thought we would experience a lot of the scenery we may have missed had we taken the day train.<BR><BR>We were not disappointed in our choice.<BR><BR>Have a great trip.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 06:14 AM

<BR>If I had the choice, I'd definitely take the day train. For me, riding a train is not just about transportation, and I expect that I would love the views on a ride across the Alps. IMHO, taking the night train would also be blowing a good night's rest.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the replies. Jheim, it sounds like after you got to Munich you kind of backtracked to Innsburk and Salzburg. I will probably go no further than Neu Schwanstein (sp). Do you think I will still get some good mountain scenery.<BR>PS I sleep great on trains
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 11:50 PM

The trip is only about 5 1/2 hours...(from Verona)<BR>I would take an early morning train and then have the day to explore munich.<BR>In my experience taking a night train gives me the equivelent to jet-lag (which you are lucky enough to be able to aviod!).<BR>The scenery is nice, but not something that I would change my travel plans over.