Day Layover in Zurich

Search

Day Layover in Zurich

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2016, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Layover in Zurich

We (family of 4 with young teens) are flying to Europe in mid June with award miles and a flight opened up the day before our original departure date. This was more appealing as it would give us an extra day to help with jet lag before we begin our "real" trip. But our routing changed and we now have a day layover in Zurich. So we arrive after an overnight at 8:30am and fly out again at 6p that night. The kids think it is cool they will get a small taste of Switzerland.

I figured we would stash our carry-on luggage at the airport, take the train to the city and will have about 6 hours to wander around like zombies trying to stay awake. It is a Sunday so I think shops will be closed.

Any suggestions of where to wander, sites to check out, good places to sit our bums to eat, drink, relax and hopefully not fall asleep in our soup? Is it worth thinking about taking the hour train to Lucerne instead for a more picturesque Swiss experience?

Thank you!
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 12:38 PM

Directly from Zurich HB (main train station), you can take an S-bahn up to Zurich's local peak Uetliberg. I believe it takes less than 20 minutes.

If its a pleasant weather day, there are many signposted paths to walk around in the fresh air, and a couple of cafes (outdoor and indoor dining)
There is a very high metal tower that can be climbed for wonderful views of the ringing mountains.
IMHO, better than trudging through the city on a Sunday
( I DO like Zurich city, but not with kids, on a Sunday!)
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 12:41 PM

Alternatively, you could take a guided tour of the city, leaving the TI at Zurich HB, I believe 11 a.m and 3 pm ...but check the city site online to confirm.
That would be a nice way to see the highlights...
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 01:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or you could take a boat tour on the lake, which I found peaceful and quite scenic.

See: https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...ecting-zurich/

I found the cost of both food and drink remarkably high, but there are a number of places to eat under the main train station. Watch out for the DCC scam.
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 04:24 PM

In Switz many things are closed on Sunday. I don't know for sure about Zurich but think much of the charm of the old town may be missing - which leaves you with a museums of the lake or mountain. With a couple of teens right off a long plane ride I would do one of the latter 2 (but do check times before you leave - and hope for good weather).
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 04:25 PM

Do you mean the shops will be shut? What's that got to do with charm?
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 05:26 PM
kja

I like thursdaysd's idea of a boat ride on the lake. Too, the magnificent Swiss National Museum is open on Sundays. I would be surprised if you wouldn't be able to visit the stunning stained glass of the Fraumunster or Grossmunster, or the (to my eye) very interesting passages and streets and public squares in the heart of the city. The Kunstmuseum is open, etc.

I don't know what you are and your children might find of interest, but you have MANY options in Zurich and I think you are fortunate to be able to take advantage of this extra day!

If you haven't already done so, look at some guidebooks (perhaps at your local library), see what interests you, and then check the internet for the latest available info on opening hours.

Enjoy!
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your advice.

What is the DCC scam?

I had looked at Uetliberg and that might be a good idea for first thing to get the cobwebs out. I will look into boat tours as well. With the shops closed, will the old town just be a ghost town and not all that interesting?

Fingers crossed the weather will be decent. We are looking forward to a day where we don't feel rushed to do much but yet still be able to soak it all in.
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 06:51 AM

DCC scam: you are charged in your home currency with a hefty markup on the exchange, instead of in the local currency plus whatever currency conversion fee your credit card company charges – which for the cards I travel with is zero.

I don't shop when I travel, and I certainly wouldn't shop in Switzerland, so whether or not the shops are open is immaterial to me.