Zurich in 6 hours!

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 06:28 PM
James

Zurich in 6 hours!

I have a six hour lay over and am considering going into the city for a bite to eat with a nice view and a short stroll around. It would be in the morning. Any suggestions for restaurants or cafes around a nice/scenic area? Thanks.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 04:46 AM
jw

Hi James. My favorite part of Zurich for cafes and winding streets is between the Bahnhofstrasse and the river to your left as you walk away from the train station. However, my sense of direction is really poor, so you'd better get a verification from someone like Ursula, if she's around. (If she doesn't pick up on this today, try Monday.) While you wait, maybe you'd like to take a look at the Zurich page of Burt Wolf's burttravels.com -- He does an inspiring job of describing the pleasures of old Zurich. J.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 07:53 AM
Greg

I've been going to Zurich annually for the last decade. One of my favorite places to lunch recently is a two story wine bar owned by a wellknown Italian winemaker Pierro Antinori. The first floor is pure winebar which is a good place to strike a conversation with wine drinkers. If you don't want to talk, go to the second floor for their great but moderately priced Italian restaurant(for Zurich). Ask to be seated in the oriole window where you can watch people shop along Rennweg (a lot more quaint than Bahnhofstr). From the Antinori winebar you can stroll through the pedestrian only curvy,cobblestone alleys toward the Rathaus square & bridge and walk along the quais toward the lake. As a visitor, I don't find too much charm in most downtown areas of Zurich but these busy narrow lanes give a small european town feeling.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 09:06 AM
Ingo

jw, I think Ursula is right now in the Engadine (Celerina)! Of course I am envious...<BR><BR>James,<BR><BR>Bahnhofstrasse and the small streets (pedestrian area) nearby are your best bet. You should have breakfast at Spr&uuml;ngli. Or take the tram to Uetliberg hill with a nice view over the lake and the city.<BR><BR>I.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 07:39 AM
zurichinfo

I guess I'm thinking of the same Spr&uuml;ngli as Ingo (on the edge of Paradeplatz...?). Yes, try it, they have chocolate heaven downstairs and the caf&eacute; upstairs. Afterwards, cross Bahnhofstrasse and either walk up to "Bausch&auml;nzli" on the corner of the Limmat River/Lake of Zurich and walk back to the train station along the Limmat; or, walk straight across/down to the Limmat from Bahnhofstr. through old-town streets in the direction of Hotel/restaurant Zum Storchen, and proceed back to the train station along the Limmat (on the way, you could stop and look at the Hotel Widder, a trendy place...). The walk along the Limmat is very scenic, also it leads you directly to the Schweizer Heimatwerk, a store selling authentic Swiss arts and crafts if you need or want something. P.S. If you happen to like vegetarian food and are in the city near/over lunchtime, definitely try eating at restaurant "Hirtl".<BR>

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Ingo

just a short note: the vegetarian restaurant's name is Hiltl (spelling!). The owner has changed recently, if I recall right. But it is said to be as good as before (that means perfect!)<BR><BR>BTW, yes I think of Spr&uuml;ngli at the Paradeplatz.<BR><BR>I.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Jen

James, we did this last summer en route to Budapest. We caught the train into the city directly at the airport, which in about 25 minutes dropped us at the Hauptbahnhoff at one end of the Bahnhoffstrasse. We then meandered our way to the end of the Bahnhoffstrasse, overlooking the lake & a wonderful view. On our return we stopped and ate at the old converted Armory off the Bahnhoffstrasse--which by appearances is a bit touristy, but actually was full of Swiss business types lunching. It was quite good, though certainly not quiet. I also second Sprungli for any sweet craving. Their macaroons, called "Luxembergerli" are divine!

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Greg

I'm curious to find out more about cafe Spruengli. I have been there a couple of times to buy pastries/chocolates to take home. Am I missing out by not eating in the cafe? I have only had lunch in the Cafe Spruengli in Luzern and it wasn't anything extraordinary. If you don't mind Ingo, could you also tell us where the vegetarian Hitl restaurant is. Thanks.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 11:46 AM
Ursula

Very good advice so far!!<BR><BR>There is no Spruengli in Lucerne. They have branches only in Zurich's city and at the airport. I think another one in Winterthur as well. In my opinion, not bad, but there are better places. Their coffee is nothing special. The bar is not bad, but the restaurant upstairs is kind of old-fashioned.<BR><BR>"Hiltl Vegi" is by far the best vegetarian in town. It's on Sihlstrasse 28, off Bahnhofstrasse.<BR>The have another branch now on the Seefeldstrasse 2, called "Tibits", behind the Opera House. A little more hip and younger. A very in-place.<BR>Another nice veggie is "Bona Dea" at the train station. Very nice buffet and smoke-free place.<BR><BR>Don't miss Honold on Rennweg 53. As good as the overrated Spruengli, although I love Spruengli's "Luxemburgerli". <BR>For truffles, I rate Teuscher the best.<BR>On Bahnhofstrasse and Storchengasse. Bring the big wallet.<BR><BR>For a nice relaxing coffee place, go to "Strozzi's", off Bahnhofstrasse, close to Fraumuenster Church. Nice patio with trees and fountain. Very cool place.<BR><BR>You'll also get a nice coffee at "Leone", Bahnhofstrasse 32, and Cafe "Ernst", next to department store Annahof. Very nice sidewalk place. Great for people watching.<BR><BR>There would be tons of other nice and trendy suggestions, but most of them are not in the very city center, but a little farther away, so not of interest for you due to your short stay.<BR>Have fun, James!

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Greg

There is nothing like an insider's guide to the coolest places like yours Ursula. Thanks. Can you continue on with fun places to eat/drink toward the university/hospital? I'm getting a lot more from this post than James. I was told that Cafe Hug in Luzern is related to Spruengli, must be a tale.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 03:10 PM
jw

Ursula, are you back from Celerina? If so, please meet us at SGFTWLSII and tell us just a little. J.<BR>James, I'd imagine that you've got enough plans for Zurich now to last a week, let alone 6 hours. Enjoy!

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 01:04 AM
Ursula

Greg, just curious: Are you a Zurich resident? If yes, go to the Tourist Office at the train station. Every 3 months, they publish a small very trendy guide called "City Guide Zuerich" with the most trendy and hippest places. It's free and really good. Also contains maps and useful addresses.<BR>They list about every new place as well as traditional hang-out places.<BR><BR>I am not that familiar with the area around the Hospital and the University living in the Enge area. But I can name the following places up there with good food:<BR><BR>Restaurant "Bauhaus"<BR>Universitaetsstrasse 101<BR><BR>Restaurant "Kreis 6"<BR>Scheuchzerstrasse 65<BR><BR>Otherwise, most hip places like lounges, bars, modern art galleries are in Zuerich-West around the "Schiffbau". <BR>The Seefeld area behind the Opera House is quite trendy too. When I read the weekly what's on for Zurich which appear with the Tages-Anzeiger (Friday) and with the Neuer Zuercher Zeitung (Thursday), I really can't catch up with all those places. They pop up like mad. Some become trendy and hip, others just seem to disappear after a while. The Zurich residents are very demanding and when a place is too expensive and no good, no chance then.<BR><BR>The places I like best are the ones on the lake-side, now during summer are:<BR>"Seerose", Seestrase 493, and<BR>"Blu", Seestrasse 457<BR><BR>However, both places are rather expensive and you need to book a table, especially when weather looks fine.<BR>Right now, it does not. It's pouring....<BR><BR>On the Limmat river, I really love the Cafe "Wuehre", Wuehre 11. So peaceful and picturesque there, watching the river flow.<BR>With rainy weather, I like the "Terrasse", Limmatquai 3, although prices are high.<BR>A nice wine bar is the "Barrique Vino-Theke", Marktgasse 17. Very cozy with candles. Fine for a glass of wine and some cheese.<BR><BR>A good site is <BR>www.swisstownguide.ch<BR><BR>They do list a lot of good and trendy places. <BR>Some pages are not finished yet, but Zurich is. <BR>Just click "Zuerich" and "Restaurants". Not bad, really.<BR><BR>jw: Celerina was ok. Weather was so and so. We did not do too much, but the Fex Valley and up to the Paradieshuette, yes, to eat a piece of their famous carrot cake. ;o)<BR>Went shopping in Livigno, prices are a little less than here, especially for Italian designers. Other than that, it was just perfect to relax a couple of days. As we go there regularly, we don't feel any need to do so much every time.<BR><BR>Sorry, must go back to work now.<BR><BR>

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 01:13 AM
Ursula

Greg, sorry about my stupid question. Just read that you visit here regularly, but aren't a resident.<BR>And yes, I like the "Cantinetta Antinori" too. It's definitely one of the better Italians downtown.<BR>Do you happen to know "Barometer" on Widdergasse 5 or "L'Hexagone" on Kuttelgasse 15?<BR>Both fine places as well, French/mediterraneon, tough. Only downpoint, tables are very close to each other in both places. Not really places for business lunches or intimate dinners-for-two.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 02:23 AM
es

Ursula, was also in the Engadin and in the Val Fex, which I now think is one of the most beautiful places in the world (the view back down to Sils Maria / Maloja is A+). Where is the Paradiesh&uuml;tte? I passed the Hotel Sonne (a great looking 3-star) on the way into the valley and continued to Curtins and up to Piz Chuen....

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 04:30 AM
jw

Hi. I've been reading w/interest the various Zurich recommendations, and I'm wondering if anyone has a comment about the old building "Grimmenturn" in Newmarket which is now the restaurant of Thomas Sos? I'm not sure if the building's name is also the restaurant's name. It is featured in the Burt Wolf segment, and I have to confess that the traditional recipes he featured made me very hungry. J.<BR>p.s. Ursula, I for one feel that a few days just to relax near Celerina sounds wonderful. That is how I spent most of my time during my five-day retreat to Lago Maggiore. I think it saved my sanity.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 04:22 AM
Lynne

Hello,<BR><BR>I am reading this post which is full<BR>of great suggestions as we will be <BR>doing a one night layover in Zurich<BR>next June.<BR><BR>Can you rate the Movenpick hotel at <BR>the airport? <BR>It seems to be the only hotel that<BR>has a big enough room for two adults<BR>and one teenager, that I have seen so far. We fly out<BR>around 9:00 a.m. the next day, so it<BR>appears like a good choice to stay<BR>near the airport and take the train <BR>into to see Zurich. <BR><BR> <BR>

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 08:12 AM
Ursula

Topping for Sally!