Day in Dubrovnik

Old Jan 19th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day in Dubrovnik

We will be in Dubrovnik for a day off a cruise ship...Any suggestions for what we should do and see and a guide????
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 05:31 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
You do not need a guide:

Walk the Walls
Stroll the Stradun (see Orlando's Column...not Tony Orlando, by the way) and Onofrio's fountains.
Lunch
Dominican Monastery
Buza Bar (the eighth wonder of the modern world)

Then, as you take that little boat out to that big ship, you will say, "I wish we could have spent more time at the Buza Bar."

Old Jan 19th, 2009, 07:18 PM

I agree - you definitely do not need a guide. Walking the walls is a must - perhaps try to do it first so you can sort of orient yourselves. Walk some of the tiny alleyways off the main drag to escape the crowds.

I've never even heard of Buza Bar but I agree with the rest!

A Fodorite who lives in Dubrovnik will likely chime in with some good suggestions, too...
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 07:50 PM

You only mention a day in Dubrovnik and I would like to know the exact date. There are often 12 mega cruisers in town during July, August & September, the worst days being Saturday and Sunday.

Your time is very limited and I suggest you start doing some research and decide what interests you. The Dubrovnik Tourist Bureau is a very good place to begin.

Walking the Zed (city walls) is a must if you're able. The walls are 2 kilometers long, with a GRAND total of 650 steps. There is an alternative if you can't do the wall, depending on weather.

I have been coming to the Dalmatian coast since 1971 and live in Dubrovnik for 1 year now. I still find some wonderful hidden places. Both Buza bars are amazing and you may have time enough to enjoy the sunset, such as the one last night which took my breath away.

Dobrodosli

An American in Dubrovnik
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 06:50 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"I've never even heard of Buza Bar ...."

A good reason for a return visit.

Old Jan 20th, 2009, 07:52 AM

Yes - I'll do some googling! We will be living in Croatia in the near future (just bought a house in Istria) so it looks like I have more to learn about Dubrovnik!
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 07:56 AM

Yes - I'll do some googling! We will be living in Croatia in the near future (just bought a house in Istria) so it looks like I have more to learn about Dubrovnik!

Duh - just realized it must be on Buza Beach. DH and I are not into drinking/night life stuff so maybe that is why we have not come across it. Beautifully romantic location, though...
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 08:56 AM

Actually, more like HANGING OVER Buza Beach if there is such a beach. I don't remember seeing one but the bar is a marvel.
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 08:57 AM

Hi Travel2live2, To get to the Buza Bar, walk through the gravel lot next to St. Ignatius church, then follow the signs that say "cold drinks". You will go through a doorway that leads to the bar. It sort of hangs off the side of the rocks overlooking the ocean. It really is a great place to watch the sunset! pp
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 08:59 AM

Thanks, peppermintpatty! Will do that next time we are there. I looked up photos and it really looks gorgeous!
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 09:45 AM

Folks, there are 2 Buza Bars, both owned and operated by Danko. They are located on the sea side of the city walls, on the rocks. You can see them when you are walking the walls. Many locals will dive off the rocks into the sea and some very brave tourists have been known to jump into the sea. There is no beach. We only have one small beach located just below the Hotel Excelsior on the eastern side of the old town. Of course there is another very special beach, but I won't tell as it's where I swim.
Lokrum is one choice for locals for swimming and again there is no beach, just rocks. If you decide to take the short ride to Lokrum, be aware that part of the island is only for nudists.
Due to the time constrants of cruise guests, they usually are unable to watch our gorgeous sunsets at Buza, such as the one last night.
I can only hope that once a cruiser has had the chance to spend a few hours in our town, they decide to make Croatia a land trip. Only then you can begin to capture the essence of the Dalmatian coast.

Dobrodosli
An American in Dubrovnik
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 10:07 AM

Thanks for the information, Dubrovniktravelady. I think it is a pity to spend just one day in Dubrovnik as it is not easy to get the true genuine feel of a place in such a short time. That goes for anywhere.

To see Dubrovnik without the streets packed with people is like night and day. A completely different atmosphere.