Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

DaVinci at Louvre — logistics and hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2019, 12:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like there are timed entry tickets available for Nov 20 and 21, which are the dates I can be in Paris after flying TLV-CDG and before traveling onward. My flight from TLV arrives in the late evening. (Arrive 1900 on 19 Nov, depart 0900 on 22 Nov)

1. Any though about the expo? Even with timed entry tickets do you think it will be swarmed, and too crowded to see the exhibits? I am wary, having seen pictures of massive crowds around the Mona Lisa. Would early afternoon entry be best?

2. Since the point of this quick stop is to see the exhibit and then fly on, my thinking is that the simplest will be simply to spend three nights at a CDG airport hotel and “commute” to central Paris by RER rather than hassling with a central hotel. I am not a “night life” person when traveling solo. For my non-Louvre day I would take a day trip somewhere, not go back into central Paris. Does this make sense?

This planning is all rather impromptu, thanks to available tickets and cheap flights!

Thank you!

Last edited by BarbWire; Oct 26th, 2019 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Vowels ....
Old Oct 26th, 2019, 03:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
We have a quick two night stay in May coming into Gard du Nord and wanted ac and something close by for the departure to airport, early am flight. http://www.booking.com/Share-mC2Hyq I loved the vibe and sure is close to metro and RER to the airport. My husband said it was used in a Jason Bourne movie. He pushed someone out the window
I did see a report on the news last night of the show. They think there might be a second Mona Lisa. The lines were long but was the first day of the exhibit. Looks great and would sure try and go.
Old Oct 26th, 2019, 05:07 AM

We have timed tickets for 11 AM in early December. As you know, the Mona Lisa is not part of the exhibit and, from what I understand, 7,000 tickets will be allotted daily.
Old Oct 26th, 2019, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the hotel suggestion.

I know the Mona Lisa is not part of the special exhibit; what I was referring was the photos of the crowds on the gallery that were packed like sardines, phones waving high to get photos. I hope the special exhibit is managed a bit better!

so far the web site has crashed seven times as I try to book a ticket
Old Oct 26th, 2019, 08:42 AM

According to the Louvre reported on last night's news (Oct 25,) 260,000 tickets have already been sold for this exhibit. You won't be alone.
Old Oct 26th, 2019, 10:05 AM

“ You won’t be alone.”

An understatement.
Old Oct 26th, 2019, 10:16 AM

I would presume the earliest time entries would be the least crowded, obviously. Because they are selling so many tickets per entry slot, however, they don't kick you out of the Louvre, people are allowed to stay as long as they want. Thus, it would naturally be more crowded as the day goes on, if people don't leave. Why would you think early afternoon would be best?

Now I don't know how they are handling that, but all special exhibits I've been to in museums have their dedicated space, and even though there is a natural path to follow, no one kicks you our or makes you move along more quickly. So they can only get more crowded if people linger. The only place they really did that where I've been was Mexico City where people were literally on a conveyor belt going by the Virgin of Guadalupe apron. No dawdling there.

I just cancelled a trip to go see that and I had a ticket, but I'll admit I'm not that big a fan of da Vinci that it mattered that much to me. I understand he was a genius in many ways, but I just am not that fascinated by his artwork (most of which are drawings, I believe, there aren't even that many paintings of his around), nor religious art. Have seen the Mona Lisa many times. But they're gaga over it in the US newspapers which I've read, so I'm sure it will be crowded by people thinking they have to go see it even if they are not da Vinci aficionados. I think I liked the Lady with the Ermine better than the Mona Lisa.

HEre's an idea of what you are in for
https://www.apnews.com/cc6724681d7144d9808b63419191fd2c

Does your plan make sense? Not to me, but it's your call. If you are traveling by RER anyway, why would you want to stay at CDG and go to/from the airport 2 days out of 3 even if you do a day trip elsewhere from CDG (where? There are limited places you can go from that rail station). And if you stay at a hotel out near CDG, you are going to be spending a bit of time just getting to/from the RER stop each day unless you mean you would stay at one of the few hotels right in CDG, more or less. If you travel lightly, going to/from central Paris to check into a hotel once isn't that much more of a hassle than all that daily stuff out at CDG you'll be doing, not to mention, you'll have so many more possibilities for an easy day trip. There are hotels right near the RER stop you'll need (one on the RERB), so yoiu can just walk to/from the RER stop. I'd pick one near Luxembourg myself, or maybe St MIchel if you prefer.

I think you can easily get to Lille or Brussels from the CDG TGV. you could also do Lyon theoretically as a day trip from there, it's only 2 hrs. And I think you can get the tgv to Strasbourg from there, but that's also about 2 hrs.
Old Oct 26th, 2019, 10:52 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>1. Any though about the expo? Even with timed entry tickets do you think it will be swarmed, and too crowded to see the exhibits?<<

Absolutely. I have only attended one special exhibition at the Louvre and never again. They seem to sell an unreasonable number of tickets fo each time slot. I've been to many events at say te British museum and V&A and while crowded you could still see things.

>>Would early afternoon entry be best?<<

I'd think any time other than the very first slot of the day would be awful.

>> my thinking is that the simplest will be simply to spend three nights at a CDG airport hotel and “commute” to central Paris by RER rather than hassling with a central hotel.<<

I think that is a silly idea (meant in the kindest possible way). Instead of one trip in on the RER and one trip back out to CDG you'd have at least six. And what if you needed to go back to your hotel fo any reason -- drop off some shopping, or rest up, or to change into dry clothes if you get rained on?? For one night before an early morning flight, I'd 'consider' staying at CDG . . . otherwise I'd stay in central Paris every single time.
Old Oct 27th, 2019, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. I think I will skip this showing. It sounds like the logistics for crowd handling will be very poor, and since I otherwise loathe Paris, it will not be worth the hassle and expense.
Old Oct 27th, 2019, 03:23 PM

I think you've made a wise choice. I love Paris but no longer attend any of these block buster exhibits because of the crowds. My most recent and final art museum experience was for the Hammershoi exhibit at the Jacquemart-Andre. Poor venue to begin with because the rooms are too small to display Hammershoi effectively. And the crowds in these tiny rooms made viewing impossible. I bailed early, disgusted.

Last edited by Envierges; Oct 27th, 2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old Oct 28th, 2019, 08:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I believe that they have now sold 330,000 tickets.
Old Oct 29th, 2019, 08:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I was at the Vermeer exhibition at the Louvre a few years back. It was obscenely crowded getting in, but I didn't find it awful once I got inside (I've certainly been to much worse). I had a mid-afternoon timeslot. They don't just let everyone in at the appointed time, they send them in in groups, so I'd get there so you're at the start of your time. They won't let you in before that. I don't think it matters much what time of day you get tickets for, as it'll sell out either way (through pre-sales or same day sales) so there'll be the same number of people each appointed time. I would love to see this but once I heard the newly found da Vinci wasn't going to be there, I gave up on it. I've seen the rest. Please let us know how you like it!