Daphne the GPS in our Europcar

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daphne the GPS in our Europcar

Halfway through our trip we left our final train station and rented a car from Europcar. Our requirements were simply big enough for 3 persons. It was a Nissan X Trail, heated leather seats, sunroof, etc. (wow) but BEST OF ALL was the GPS system. She had a slight English accent so we named her Daphne (from the Frazier show) and I just cannot tell you how great it was to have her. No squabbles, no maps, no magnifying glasses... just clear directions in both color and sound! Everyone got to enjoy the scenery once we felt we could trust her! Kate
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 05:55 PM

I was always more intrigued by Daphne's mother. But then, I knew her when...

She was David Frost's sidekick on That Was The Week That Was on the telly.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 06:09 PM

SweetKate, maybe I should introduce her to Jeeves, the guy in my Range Rover, who has a most decidedly British accent. I especially love it when he's giving me directions which I ignore. After passing two or three turns he tells me to take, he finally says, "at the next opportunity if at all possible make a turnabout". I love it.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 06:51 PM

SweetKate

We have an 'Emma' and I'm not sure how we coped without her. When we feel hungry she finds us restaurants, when we need gas she finds us a gas station if we decide to do a ‘Road Trip’ she gets us home – all, with no arguments.

Last weekend and just before we were due to leave to drive to Montreal we discovered that DD had borrowed Emma, left Emma in her car and parked the car at a local airport while she (DD) went to Mexico.
It was too late to retrieve Emma so we had to rely on Mapquest to get us to our hotel. Boy, I bet DD’s ears were burning!

I thought it was frivolous when we first got it since I generally know where I’m going and can read a map, but it’s a godsend for DH (who has no sense of direction) and for exploring.

Patrick - We did try the male version and called him ‘Ernest’ because he was so solemn especially when directing us to “make a legal U-turn”.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 01:24 AM
Billygoat

I've read somewhere that one GPS firm was going to use John Cleese as their voice.
Can you imagine it?

"Turn left at the next junction.
YOU IDIOT! I SAID TURN LEFT!!"

Old Oct 11th, 2005, 11:44 AM

Just returned from Germany where we had Heidi. In her sternest voice, she would command us to make the next possible legal u-turn.

The greatest thing though was the ability to punch Point of Interest or Hotels for the cities were were traveling to and get there with no hassles between the driver and passanger!!

Without her we would have been in Poland!

Gail
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 07:39 AM

Our GPS in our rented VW van was nicknamed "Helga" for the first three days of the trip. Then I figured out how to reset the language into American English. She then became "Eleanor". Amazing how much easier it is to understand directions in a language you actually speak...
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 11:29 AM

Zeus, that's what my husband tells me all the time, it's easier to understand directions in a language I actually speak. I am cracking up. LOL!!!!