Search

Cyclades guide book

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2023, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cyclades guide book

Hi,
I am planning a trip to Greece next May/June and would like to visit an island or two in the Cyclades... something "less touristy" with good hiking and beaches. I have done lots of online reading and have a couple guidebooks, and I think I have narrowed down my selection to Siphnos, Syros, Folegrandos, Amorgos, or Milos, but am really hoping to find some more in-depth information and maybe even expand my selection. Can anyone recommend a detailed guidebook to the Cyclades? Or to the Greek Islands that would include good detail on the Cyclades?
Thanks!
Old Oct 10th, 2023, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always found the Lonely Planet guidebooks excellent though have not seen the latest books on Greece. The detail and street maps always stood out as being really helpful. Out of the islands you mention, I've stayed on Folegandros and Milos. We did a bit more exploring on Milos than Folegandros and enjoyed Folegandros more than Milos. This website may be useful - https://www.greecetravel.com/greek-islands.htm

Old Oct 11th, 2023, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, KayF!
The most current LP guide to Greece is absolutely terrible. I have always used LP in the past as well, but their new format is almost devoid of content and just full of little snippets and virtually no restaurant / hotel recommendations or in depth detail at all. Their specific Greek Islands guidebook does look better though. . I will take a deeper look at Matt Barrett's webpage. Thank you for sharing your impressions of Milos and Folegrandos!
Old Nov 9th, 2023, 01:59 PM

Hi LJ,
Below is our TR for Folegandros, part of a loooooong 5-parter titled 'Metaxi Mas'. Other segments featured Patmos, Samos, Santorini plus Athens.
Hope it helps somehow, if only to give you some imagery.
cheers
I am done. The end.
Folegandros Fotos: Metaxi Mas TR pt. 5 finale
Old Nov 10th, 2023, 01:53 AM

I suppose you know that Cycladic seawater will not be really warm in May.
Old Nov 10th, 2023, 08:36 AM

Almost all the major Guide Books have deteriorated in recent editions due to the mistaken idea they must compete with internet in Color photography & detailed restaurant/transport info ... Don't they realize that people go to Internet for all 3 categories --- and the great Guide BOOK value is the in-depth background for cultural insights, major sites and overlooked "hidden germs", sites, little viilages, trails, ruins etc. Using LP & Rough Guides of early 2000s, I discovered magical places in Crete, Pelopponese, Samos, Chios, ALL the Cyclades. Then these wonderful books CHOPPED their text to make room/save budget for copycat color pix Youtube can offer, and restaurant listings that are instantly outdated. My advice -- go to AMazon or ABE books, get a ROUGH GUIDE from no later than 2012... and you'll find the background you want; 2008 even better. U can get bus/ferry/dining/hotel info for 2024 on internet.. but earlier Guides reveal the Soul of Greece, and that doesn't change. Another recommend is CADOGAN GUIDE to Greek Islands -- last edition was 2005 or so, but Author writing is magiical... it's true bedside reading.

Since you do multiple postings I'm not clear now what you've definitely decided upon for Greece -- i Do hope it's between May 15-June 15. Pay no attention to people who say water's too cold in May... perhaps 15th- 20th it's "brisk" for first 30 seconds but then it's divine ... and remember, Global Warming! on my last trip the 1st week of June was 92-95 for 4-5 days. (However, don't worry about Heat in Athens - you can strategize, with outdoors early & A/C museums during hot hours). On one of your postings, have you listed your latest thinking on hw many isles, in what order, and how many days each? I have experience in ALL of them (Sifnos for 4+ visits and recommends for stays/activities, but I also have a life, so won't spend the time here before your Itinerary is clearer.
Old Nov 10th, 2023, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Zebec - thank you for sharing your great trip report!

Travelerjan - thank you for commiserating with me about guide books. Good advice to get some older editions from the used book stores and stick to the internet for up-to-date logistics info etc.

I think we are pretty much settled on our itinerary, below. I would love your recommendations on any of our destinations; especially Sifnos. I remain a bit nervous about the ferry schedule between Sifnos and Santorini since it has not been posted yet. I think it might only go certain days of the week and / or arrive in Santorini very late in the day. We do want to maximize our short 2 days in Santorini even if it means leaving Sifnos a day earlier. If you know about the typical ferry route between the two, I would appreciate any intel!

Proposed itinerary:

May 17 - leave home (we'll get ourselves to whichever East Coast US airport has a reasonable direct flight to Istanbul)
May 18 - arrive Istanbul; go straight to Capadoccia. Overnight Capadoccia
May 18 - 21 - Capadoccia (planning to stay in Gorem, but I am not wedded to this)
May 22 - fly to Istanbul
May 22 - 26 - Istanbul
May 27 - fly to Athens, pick up car at airport, drive to Meteora. Overnight Meteora
May 28 - Meteora
May 29 - drive to Delphi. Overnight Delphi
May 30 - drive to Athens. Drop off car. Overnight Athens
May 31 & June 1 - Athens
June 2 - ferry to Sifnos
June 2 - 7 - Sifnos (or might have to leave June 6 if it is not possible to get to Santorini by mid-day June 7)
June 7 & 8 - Santorini (or arrive on June 6 as per above)
June 9 - fly home from Santorini if possible, or fly to Athens and home next day