Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Did you ever check a guide book out of the library, make a bunch of great notes from info culled from the web on a piece of paper, including confirmation numbers, stuff the paper into the library book and forgetfully return the book?

Did you ever check a guide book out of the library, make a bunch of great notes from info culled from the web on a piece of paper, including confirmation numbers, stuff the paper into the library book and forgetfully return the book?

Feb 13th, 2002, 10:48 AM
A regular here

Damn!

Feb 13th, 2002, 10:58 AM
Header

You would probably get more answers if your title was more specific...

But to answer your question the best I can with such limited information, no I have not.

Feb 13th, 2002, 11:05 AM
sorry

no

Feb 13th, 2002, 11:05 AM
beth anderson

the library will know who checked it out next.

that person might actually take your advice, go to the same cool places - you could accidentally meet and become friends, you never know!

it's serendipity!

Beth

Feb 13th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Robbyn

You didn't say how long ago you returned it. Have you checked on the book? Maybe it is setting on the shelf with your notes still in it. I work at a library and you wouldn't believe the things we find in returned books. I will always call the person and let them know what we have found. If you really want the information back I would call the library and check on it. If it is checked out to someone else they should call that person for you and ask if they found any papers.

R.

Feb 13th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Walter

Have you tried the "Text Search". This question has been answered so many times in the past. Also be sure to click-on "Match Exact Phrase")). Good Luck Hope & You Find It. Regards, Walter

Feb 13th, 2002, 01:49 PM
mjs

It sounds like you are another Ugly American. A European would never "stuff" paper into a book, but would arrange it artfully. If you can't tell the difference, maybe you should just stay home.

Feb 13th, 2002, 02:02 PM
nina

Regular, No, but I think I found yours! Great notes on lodging in the Cinque Terra by the way, thanks for saving me all that work! You don't mind if I keep that 9:00 dinner reservation in Vernazza on the 15th do you?

Feb 13th, 2002, 03:32 PM
A regular here

Nina, I couldn't have done it without the wonderful folks here at the Fodors Europe board. Enjoy!

Feb 14th, 2002, 07:02 AM
x

No, but I sometimes misplace my car keys.

Feb 14th, 2002, 09:33 AM
dan woodlief

I shelved library books for a while when I was in college, and I amassed quite an interesting collection of items people left in books: an early 20th century invitation to a ball given in Paris by some French officer, an old Russian postcard with Lenin on it, Nazi stamps (I happened to collect German stamps at the time, so thank you very much), etc.

You could also try recalling the book so that you get it back soon, and cross your fingers that the paper will still be there. First, however, I would see if I could find out who has it.

Feb 14th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Joanne

For your entertainment -- Harvard research on odd bookmarks!

http://www.harvard-magazine.com/arch...dept_pump.html