Cute sandals for walking??

Feb 20th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Cute sandals for walking??

I'm going to be traveling around Europe for the summer, and I can take my little white sneakers and live with the fact that I will look like an American tourist, but I would really love suggestions on some cute sandals that I could walk all over Italy in. I've read previous threads, but they are a bit older, and some shoes that were recommended no longer exist. Plus, I need a brand and syle. Also, I figured I'd live in capri's and skirts. Is it true that the Italians and French ever wear shorts even in 90 degree weather?? Please, give me your fashion advice! Thanks!
Feb 20th, 2004, 09:05 PM

I traveled last summer for a month in Europe. I wore one pair of shoes. My black sandals from Naturalizer. They were SO comfortable. I don't have a style name though for you. I got them at an outlet mall here in Florida. You may want to consider the same to shop in some of the outlets. Have a great trip!
Feb 21st, 2004, 02:19 AM

When I'm in the States, I always try to hit a Bass shoe outlet and get Sunjuns or similar - very comfy, great for walking, and not clunky looking.

Yes, it's true that Italians rarely wear shorts, unless maybe at the beach. I covered this in an article on "how to dress for Italy", for those who care about fitting in - which is not required! See http://www.straughan.com/italy/dressing.htm
Feb 21st, 2004, 05:33 AM

In Italy - and most of europe - only children routinely wear shorts. Adults wear them only at beach resorts when boating or hiking etc - never in cities or towns. The surest way to look like a tourist is to wander around Rome or Forence in shorts - and you won;t be allowed in churches - or better restaurants for dinner. (I was going to say you wouldn't wear shsorts in New York would you? - but the things I have seen tourists wear over the last couple of summers is positively horrifying! Britney(?) is guilty of making clowns of a huge number of American women. This club gear as daily dress is bad enough when you're 18 and slim - but if these 40-year old size 16 women knew that they looked like nothing more than extremely overage/overweight hookers! The flesh crawls!)
Feb 21st, 2004, 05:38 AM

I swear by my Treviso sandals made by Merrell. These are "sport sandals" that offer great support and no blisters after miles of walking. May not be "cute" or stylish enough for a fancy dinner, but great for long walks. Other syles, like the "bellaluna" may be better if you expect it to be very hot.

Here's a link:

http://store.nordstrom.com/category/...375452~2375454
Feb 21st, 2004, 05:44 AM

I have made several trips to Europe: France, Italy, Spain, Italy, Germany. In hot weather, Europeans wear shorts on weekends and holidays. On weekdays they wear work clothes. You are on vacation, so it is silly for you to suffer from the heat by dressing up as if you are also going to work.

I live in a large American city that gets a lot of European tourists. In the summer, I always see them wearing shorts.
Feb 21st, 2004, 05:47 AM

I went for a month last summer. Shorts were a must somedays, and don't worry about what others think. Capri's are worn by the locals and are a nice alternative. As far as shoes go... I bought Ecco sandals before my trip over here... they are european made, so you know they will be wearing them over there. They aren't cheap, but are well worth the money. I had zero problems with my feet while others in my group were left at home with blistered feet. They were absolute heaven to walk in and I will never buy anything else. Spend the money and take care of your feet, they are your most important feature on a trip like this.
Feb 21st, 2004, 06:02 AM

Please, please make sure you test out those new, wonderful sandals before you go to Europe.

And I don't mean walking out to the mailbox and back. Wear them on a big shopping day at the mall when you'll walk at least a mile in them.

I was around a person who thought that a pair of shoes was perfectly comfortable until the end of the first day in Rome. My oh my, can people be cranky.
Feb 21st, 2004, 06:19 AM
jenifer

Tevo also makes nice leather sandals that are good for walking around and look pretty nice as well.

Feb 21st, 2004, 06:19 AM
jenifer

OK, I'm confusing shoes and TV recorders.

That brand should be TEVA.

Feb 21st, 2004, 06:58 AM

Clark Sandal's are very comfortable. They seem to be coming out with more fashionable sandal's this spring.

I am curious whether sandal's are appropriate in Italy in mid/late May?
Feb 21st, 2004, 07:34 AM

I have a pair of Ecco Receptor Inca Sandals which I bought on a trip to San Diego when I didn't take a pair with me. The following day I wore them to the Zoo where I spent all day walking on pavement. Not a blister and this is the most comfortable pair of shoes I own. I wouldn't wear them with skirts but they are fine with casual capris or slacks. Unfortunately, what I think of as "cute sandals" don't usually fall into the same category as comfortable walking shoes since many sandals do not have the support for your feet.

You can see these sandals on Zappos (one of my favorite places to buy shoes): http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/534275/c/3101.html
Feb 21st, 2004, 08:45 AM

SAS has several attractive and comfortable styles. I have worn them on summer trips.
Feb 21st, 2004, 08:49 AM
padbrasher

Breathe: Wear what Europeans wear...Arche, Mephisto, Birkenstock, Prada, Merrell,Born. All make comfortable and stylish sandals. And please, no shorts. In many trips to France, Germany, Switzerland, England and Italy, the only place I ever saw Europeans wearing shorts was hiking in the mountain. In the cities, women wore mostly light-weight dresses or pants.

Feb 21st, 2004, 08:54 AM

I agree with Tweeter. I have worn Clark's sandals and love them. They are very comfortable and are a bit dressier than some others. And they look fine with a skirt.
Feb 21st, 2004, 08:58 AM

Try Danskos. You can see all their styles at dansko.com. I wore one pair of Dansko sandals almost everyday of my three months in Europe last year. They held up great, were very comfortable, and I like the styles better than a lot of the "comfort" brands.

I wore skirts and capris the whole time I was there. In England, France, Belgium and the Netherlands I felt much more comfortable being a little better dressed than if I had worn shorts and gym shoes. I felt more comfortable going in any shop, restaurant, church, etc. since I was a bit more dressed up. Fair or not, I am pretty certain people get treated better when they look nice.

Hope you have a great time!
Feb 21st, 2004, 09:07 AM

I have a pair of "reiker Antistress" sandles style 604 03/23. Very comfortable and cute, too. I plan to wear them in Germany & France in June.

Clarks are great, too.

I prefer cotton dresses to shorts. They pack well and if it's really hot, you don't have that extra waist band around you. I plan to take 2 jackets/sweaters that can go over them if needed. Also you wouldn't have to wonder if you looked different.
Feb 21st, 2004, 10:11 AM

I'm a big sandals fan & have successful traveled in : Ecco, Merrell, Sudini, Munro that were stylish but comfortable.

My best advise: you need to try on a bunch of them and see what works for you (for instance I hate Mephisto and Danso but other love 'em).

THEN you need to wear them around alot before your trip. Don't take new sandals no matter how comfortable you think they are (been there, done that, bad mistake!).

I take two pair (I pack light but shoes are most important - IMO) so you can switch back and forth. I also bring a couple pair lightweight dark or pattern ankle socks which cut out the rubbing that is natural cause of sandals against bare feet doing a whole bunch of walking.

Personally I do wear shorts if it's really 90 degrees, yes even in Paris. But I do attempt a somewhat stylish outfit (long loose patterned shorts with coordinated top and vest, good looking shoes and bag) not your gym shorts and sneakers ;-)
Feb 21st, 2004, 10:27 AM

You have been given a lot of good suggestions. However, it is important to keep in mind that everyone's foot is different. So some shoes will feel better than others.

Therefore, I recommend that you try as many of these brands as you can find and pick the one that feels most comfortable on YOUR feet.

The ones that fit the best for me were SAS. They have several different styles. Look up in your yellow pages for shoestores that feature SAS shoes.

And before your trip..."break them in" at home. Walk around in them all day for several days. Good luck.
Feb 21st, 2004, 11:05 AM

Has anyone worn Birkenstock sandals to do a lot of walking in Europe? I have just bought a couple pair on ebay. Not the clunky looking ones - this auction has a picture of one of the pairs that I got. What do you think - will I be comfortable?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3036

I picked Birkenstock because I need some arch support.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO