Search

currency issues

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 10:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
currency issues

What is the best way to exchange dollars for zlotys when in Poland? Should we bring cash to exchange or withdraw from an ATM or use travelers' checks? OR buy Zlotys here in America? Thanks.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 02:15 PM

Not sure if you can get Zloty in USA...But even if you did rate will be not as good as within Poland. Travelers checks you can only exchange in Banks and Amex offices - so you rate be again bit lower.
Best would be to bring cash - and exchange in Kantor (Currency Exchange Booths) which are all of (even in smallest of the cities). ATMs are also good - but many are just in Polish as well as may not except your card or Pins over 4digits. Also credit cards are excepted in many places ... I always bring cash and some travelers checks - which when lost/stolen can be quickly refunded. With cards make sure appropiate currancy is checked - so the number is not in zloty but currency checked Euro ;-)
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 07:55 PM

Exchange dollars for zlotych at KANTOR kiosk. Rate varies between Kantors..Hotel and airport rates are lowest. Current rate is 3.91 zl. per dollar..but actual number is less..perhaps 3.81. And if you want to buy dollars they will cost perhaps 4.00 zl. Rates change daily. Dollar has been increasing in value. I suggest using ATM and withdrawing from bank account. Usually VISA/MASTERCARD. Often AX.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 08:27 AM

For your ATM - just make sure you have International capability (needs a 4 digit pin). Just check with your bank before you leave. We use ATM's everywhere - you get the bank rates of exchange, and usually low or no fees.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 10:38 AM

I didn't have any trouble getting cash from the ATM in Poland, English was available on the screen. However, my bank (Washington Mutual) charged my account $3 every time I did a cash withdrawal for any amount. My Bank One VISA card was going to charge 2% for every international use. So I ended up using the WM debit card. No fees from the bank or the vendors. Perhaps you should call your bank and your credit card company because they all vary. I did carry t-checks for emergency use. I also had some zloty before I left. Got them through Wells Fargo.