CUMBERLAND HOTEL

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 08:34 AM
HENRY

CUMBERLAND HOTEL

HAS ANYONE STAYED AT THE CUMBERLAND HOTEL IN LONDON?THANK YOU

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 01:20 PM
Bram

Hi Henry,
About 6 years ago we stayed at the Cumberland as part of a four day show tour from Canada. At that time they were in the midst of renovating all the even numbered floors and we were lucky enough to get one of these "new" rooms. We loved the hotel which was well located, very clean and would stay there again for sure. I imagine now that all the rooms have been renovated but be sure to double-check when you make your reservation.
Enjoy

Bram

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 01:34 PM
Al

The Cumberland is a huge place, right on top of the Marble Arch tube station at the intersection of Oxford St. (best reasonably-priced shopping) and Marble Arch at Hyde Park. Great location, great transportation, and just up Oxford St. from such places as Marks & Spencer and Selfridge's Department Stores. Bus lines galore stop right at the door. Try to get a room away from the street, if you want to catch up on your sleep. It's about as busy as busy can be.

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 01:59 AM
Eileen

Hi, Henry. My parents and I had the chance to stay at the Cumberland Hotel in December 1995. Its location is perfect but the room we stayed in was quite bad. It was old and so uncomfortable; and although a non-smoking room, there was a certain "odor" that just wouldn't go away.

But then, considering the reasonable rates they charge, I guess the Cumberland is quite o.k. since it's centrally located.

I suggest that you check-out the Langham Hilton located in Regent Street. A very nice hotel and not quite like the other Hiltons.

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 06:10 AM
Judy

I stayed at the Cumberland a few years ago. The first room they showed me was awful. I went down to the desk and politely asked for a updated room as I would be staying for a few days. They complied without a problem.

I have found that most hotels will show you the worst rooms first. Don't take your bags up until you see the room first.

Re an earlier response to your questio -
I'm sure the Langham Hilton is a nice hotel. I'm also pretty sure that it is much more expensive.

Why not try the Mews Hilton? Which is around the corner from the Hilton on Park Lane, not too far from where the Cumberland is located. It usually has weekend rates that include breakfast. Also, the rooms are air conditioned, can which be crucial.

Almost all of the major hotels in London has weeked (Fri., Sat., Sun.) rates which usually include breakfast. Ask! .

Have fun. We are going to be there in May.
Instead of going to a hotel. We are taking an apartment that has been seen by a friend of mine. Much larger and cheaper than any hotel. If you want info, e-mail me.

Old Jul 5th, 1999, 01:45 PM
Joan

7/05

Dear Henry:

My husband and I are planning to stay in London for the month of May in 2000. Because of this, I'm interested in contacting Judy who wrote to you that she was renting an apartment this past May instead of going into a hotel.

Could you give me her e-mail address?

Also, if you ended up staying at the Cumberland, did you enjoy it -- or would you recommend a different hotel.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Joan

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 06:43 AM
Henry

Dear Judy,Sorry I don't have Judy's e-mail address.We deceided on Harrington Hall which was a nice hotel.Please post your apartment experience as we may want to try renting o a future trip.Have a great trip.

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 09:50 AM
Helen

We stayed at the Cumberland from 2/17 to 2/21 this year. It was a wonderful place. The room was not real big but comfortable. The location was fantastic. You literally fall out of the hotel door into the Underground. The people were very nice. We have a problem with our reservation (not their fault) and they were very kind. It appears to be a business person hotel. I would recommend it.