Athens Gate Hotel

Mar 4th, 2000, 06:03 AM
Thomas Nastos

Athens Gate Hotel

Any experience with the Athens Gate Hotel? I can't seem to find it listed in any travel book on Athens, Greece

Mar 4th, 2000, 07:22 AM
Walter

Hi Thomas: I snipped this from a post in "deja" this couple stayed there last May. I've walked by this hotel and it's on a *very* busy street so if you stay there you might want a room in the rear. I stayed at a hotel in the same class/price last Feb. because of positive posts and e-mails I received. It's the Acropolis View Hotel, located ~700M west of the Athens Gate and ~200M south of the Acropolis. [snipped post]"...Almost all of our exposure to Athens was iin the Plaka. We stayed at the Athens Gate hotel and while the room was OK, there was no A/C. I'd read that about this hotel before we booked it and called them, but were assured the A/C was fine. With highs in the 80s and more street noise than you get in New York, I would avoid this place. Even though the price and location are both attractive." HTH Regards, Walter

Mar 4th, 2000, 09:18 AM
Jim

Fully agree this is not the place to stay in. We almost picked this place but decided on another. When we walked by it ,We were happy we didn't pick it. Very noisy and not the best location.

Mar 5th, 2000, 03:56 PM
Thomas

Walter and Jim, Thanks for the input. We don't mind the noise and we usually prefer street view. However, hopefully we can get the 7th floor rear with the incredible view of the Acropolis and Parthenon, as you no doubt can get elsewhere. Efkaristo poli. Thomas

Mar 6th, 2000, 11:00 AM
Thomas

Walter, By the way, I'll be looking for Socrates' prison cell while in Athens. Armed with your previous info and printout of the prison location should be extremely helpful.