COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Cumberland Hotel

Old May 15th, 2001, 02:57 PM
Dargus

Cumberland Hotel

Has anybody stayed in the Cumberland Hotel in London located at Marble Arch? I see it as rated up to 4-star but can get a last minute single next week for only 70GPB (vs. 130GBP regular price). It sounds too good to be true and they are waiting ofr my credit card number! Thanks!

Old May 15th, 2001, 04:47 PM
Joyce

I've never stayed at the Cumberland but I've eaten dinner there twice. The dinner was wonderful and the hotel looked lovely. I talked to people who have stayed there and they enjoyed it. It has a great location.

Old May 15th, 2001, 04:54 PM
JOdy

Never stayed here but have been to several antique shows there. It seems to be a LARGE what I would call a commercial or tourist hotel . I think you could find something more charming for the same price but it is getting a little late so this may be your best bet.I really don't care for he area either, youstep right out ontn Oxford St., just chain shops no realy unique places.

Old May 15th, 2001, 08:44 PM
j

Hello, Jody is there still a Carvery restaurant in the Cumberland? we were there many years ago and had delicious food.Only two days to go!!!J

Old May 15th, 2001, 08:51 PM
Ellen

I have stayed at the Cumberland Hotel, it was a few years ago, but has likely not changed much. The rooms can be a little small, but it's all relative. How much time do you spend in your room? The location is convenient for catching the Tube, and of course, you have Oxford Street right at the front door, so shopping is very easy. There aren't many people around after the stores close, though, but you can take buses and the Tube to other areas, like Covent Garden, for dinner and walks after dinner. Hope that helps.

Old May 16th, 2001, 02:21 AM
Jody

Hi J..Aren't you lucky only 2 days to go, we have at least 150 and I'm counting each one!We were mainly on the lower level of the hotel in their display rooms for the antique shows. I think I remember seeing a notice of a carvery but please don'thold me to it. Have a great trip and wishes for good weather goto you

Old May 16th, 2001, 05:56 AM
richardab

I never stayed at the Cumberland but the price is good and the location at Marble Arch and the foot of Oxford Street shopping is ideal!. I too ate at the Carvery restaurant a few years ago and it was delicious! Tradition British roats! YUM!

Old May 16th, 2001, 06:03 AM
Diane

We stayed at the Cumberland some years ago with our kids when the hotel we were supposed to stay in turned out to be a dump. The people there were extremely helpful to us--there was something going on in London, and rooms were hard to come by. They only had a room for a couple of days, but helped us find something else for the rest of the trip. It is a business type hotel--sort of like a Marriot or Hyatt, but in an older building. Good location. I would take the deal!

Old May 16th, 2001, 07:20 AM
Jane Pond

Go for it!

For that price and location, it's a great deal. It's convenient to so many things. It is a large hotel that caters to groups, but for a single rate, it's very good. I travel alone and usually can't get that good a rate at a larger hotel.

Old May 16th, 2001, 07:25 AM
Dargus

Thanks for the replies! I also have a chance to book the Bedford (on Southhampton Row in Bloomsbury) or the St. Giles at the same price and I think the location is better for these two vs. the Cumberland. I started a thread on the Bedford and it sounds like a somewhat charmless yet acceptable place. The St.Giles seems to have opinions at both ends of the spectrum so I think I may just go for the Bedford due to location. Thanks again!

Old May 16th, 2001, 02:59 PM
Ellen

I'm not sure what you may be looking for in terms of a location, but Southhampton Row in Bloomsbury isn't really near the main places that many tourists want to visit. The Cumberland is situated in a much better location. Is there something you wanted to see in this part of town or were you looking for a hotel that is centrally located?

Old May 16th, 2001, 04:08 PM
Dargus

Ellen, I am not exactly sure which area of London would be best for me as this is my first visit there, but I would like to be near Soho as I am a live music/street life type of person and want to be near the most active areas at night while not having to worry about missing the last tube back to my hotel (if I can walk all the better). I also intend to do a few LondonWalks tours and want to be central for that. I am not interested in the royalty stuff, but, if time allows (I only have 7 nights) I would like to have a ponder around Kensington. I am also a big museum person and the British Museum, Imperial War museum, Museum of London, the Soane Museum, Tate Modern are on my list. Truth is, the Cumberland may be a good place in an excellent location. Is it a better (more comfortable) hotel than the Bedford or St. Giles? I hope that helps (I appreciate all of your help)!

Old May 16th, 2001, 06:12 PM
JOdy

add the wallace collection to your museum list. After 40 years going to London we went there the last trip and loved the exhibits ,the size and the whole ambiance. Saw the catherine the great collectioon exhibit and the Gilbert silver at Somerset house. Somerset house itself is worth the trip . we collect and admire eng. silver so it may have meant more to us than most but it is overwhelming and worth a visit. It has just recently opened and is not hard to get into. personally the British museum left me cold, don't know why. The V&A was much more interesting.