Cruise ships docking at Split-When?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, does anyone know if the cruise ships dock at Trogir every day? I know evenings they are usually gone, but do they show up every day? Thanks in advance. Shirley
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 07:39 AM

I may be wrong, but I think in Trogir there would only be smaller ships--not the behemoths that stop at Split and Dubrovnik. The wooden ships I saw were quite beautiful and didn't seem to result in huge crowds.
You really can't predict these things, and even without cruise groups Trogir can be very very crowded, even outside of the summer.
Are you staying there? If so, I recommend getting up early, then taking a day trip (perhaps Drvenik Veli if you like outdoor activities) and returning in the evening.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Duh, my first post is very confusing, sorry. We will be staying in Trojir as a jumping point. I was wondering if the big ships dock every day in Split. We will be in Trojir on a Thursday thru Sunday. Perhaps we will just trip to Split in the evening although the palace looked interesting. Any info at all will be appreciated. Shirley
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 10:24 AM

Oh I gotcha. I think. Are you asking when you should venture to Split in order to avoid crowds?
I don't think you can avoid crowds with certainty there either. It's all just luck. So many people pass through waiting for ferries in addition to the tour groups. But the palace is large and meandering, so you can kind of avoid the groups--as only so many people fit in each place at a time. The only place I remember noticing a big cluster was the cathedral.

I also like wandering the adjacent neighborhoods, especially veli varos. www.visitsplit.com has a good map.

Split is very much worth checking out, though if you just want to see the palace before getting on a ferry, that is easy too. The bus station is right at the ferry port, and there is a left luggage station (garderoba).
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Yorkshire. Yes, we do want to spend a day in Split, just hoped to avoid big crowds. We will travel there in September so the summer crowds won't really be a huge issue. The palace sounds wonderful. Any other tips? Thanks, Shirley
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 06:49 PM

the only 'cruise ships that dock in Trogir are the wooden gulets and perhaps a passing yacht (usually they go to the marina) - here is a part of our wine tour that might interest you:
>
Day 1: Arrive Airport Split – Transfer to hotel Tragos in Trogir – Free day - relax, have dinner and be hosted with traditional customs from the region.

Day 2: Aug 14 - Trogir, according to legend, the city of «happy» moment, has existed for 2300 years. The history and the architecture was influenced by the Greeks and Romans, and in stormy times by the Italians, Austrians and the French. Visit the Castle Kamerlengo, Radovans Portal and St. Lawrence cathedral, a famous master-piece of medieval architecture.

Trogir, 27 km west of Split, with its 10,000 inhabitants is a museum-town in the true sense of the meaning. Its old town centre is situated on a small island caught between the mainland and Ciovo Island. Admirers of cultural and historic monuments, art, unique buildings and lovely streets, will discover an impressive and stratified heritage – ranging from Romanesque courtyards to contemporary furnished interiors. Trogir and surrounds are characterised by lush vegetation, numerous islands and islets, as well as stone and pebble beaches. Kastela for lunch.
>
regional wines are a must try.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 06:50 PM

sorry - the gulets stop once or twice a week depending on their destinations north or south and they all stop on the same days - more fun that way for the German tourists...