Cruise Ship to Venice Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having trouble trying to understand how to get from my cruise ship dock to Marco Polo Airport.

I will be leaving the cruise ship earlier in the morning than the main crowd, and I need to get to Marco Polo Airport for a late morning flight. In any ordinary place, one would simply take a cab, but this does not seem to apply here.

I sense there is some kind of regular water-taxi service - "vap" something - from the cruise ship dock itself to St. Mark's Square, but I cannot find information on how to get from there on to the airport. Is there any DIRECT way to go from ship-side to airport without a lot of detours and connections from one boat to another?

I appreciate the scenic tour, of course, but that particular morning I would like to move from ship to airport quickly and directly.

I hope.

As I say, I will not be leaving the ship with the bulk of the departing passengers, so whatever arrangements the cruise line may have made to get them to their flights will probably not apply to me in this case.

I must be at the airport, I think, at least two hours before my flight leaves for London at 11:30 am, Venice time.

Any advice or assistance anyone can offer will be much appreciated.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 01:45 AM

Cruise ships berth in at least three different parts of Venezia, so you need to find out exactly where you will be arriving. If it is the main Stazione Marittima, then that has road access. From Piazza San Marco to the airport, there are boats run by Alilaguna (www.alilaguna.com).
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 01:58 AM

You simply take a cab from the Airport to your ship.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 03:13 AM

Don't confuse the water taxi with the water bus (vaporetto). They are two different modes of transport just as taxi cabs are different from city buses.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 03:28 AM
ira

Hi john,

The fastest way is by water taxi. Ask the Purser to reserve one for you.

The Alilaguna, http://www.alilaguna.it/, is a shuttle that follows a set route from Venice to the airport.

The vaporetti are the local water buses.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all three respondents. I like that part about "simply ask the Purser to reserve one for you". That's what I like to hear! I will also find out if my cruise ship comes into the road-access Stazione Maritima. It is this level of detail on this forum that I so much appreciate.