Reload this Page >

Crowne Plaza London (St. James)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2002, 05:13 PM
Lara

My husband and I are considering the Crowne Plaza London (St. James) for a trip in September.<BR><BR>Anyone been recently?<BR>How is the location?<BR>What are the rooms like?<BR><BR>Thank you!<BR><BR>Lara

Old May 10th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Kathy

I have stayed at the Crowne Plaza three times, most recently in March. It is a very nice hotel, in a good location. The rooms vary in size but all are very clean, well-appointed (coffee&tea, iron, hair dryer, etc.), and comfortable. It is very close to Buckingham Palace and walking distance to Victoria Station. 2 blocks from the St. James tube. If you like to walk you can also manage Westminster Abbey, Parliment and Big Ben, and the London Eye. The concierge is very helpful and can get tickets for almost anything. In fact, when my husband and I were there in May 2001 he got us front row tickets to Phantom of the Opera. Also, the all the major sightseeing busses have stops close by, on Buckingham Palace Road. Have a great trip!

Old May 13th, 2002, 05:00 AM
Darlene

I have stayed there 3 or 4 times when my husband was on business in the area. It's very pretty, rooms are nice, etc. It is very convient for the St. James Tube. However, I tend to like the hotels that are more convient to shopping. I would also try the Marriott Grosvenor (sp?) Square. It is very close to shopping. Or the Raddison's around Covent Garden/Leicester Square. I also feel like I'm closer to the action.

Old May 19th, 2002, 04:27 PM
Lara

If anyone else has any information about this hotel I would really appreciate it.<BR><BR>Thank you.<BR>Lara

Old May 21st, 2002, 08:25 AM
kathya

I've stayed there three times. It is a lovely hotel. It has a garden in back with a terra cotta frieze that was given to Queen Victoria. The frieze displays scenes from Shakespeare plays. The hotel is quite expensive. If you call for a reservation ask for a rate with a full breakfast included. Otherwise breakfast is the equivalent of US16 per person. Have a great trip!

Old May 21st, 2002, 08:39 AM
Darlene

I forgot to add. There is a nice spa on the premises, and the restaurant "Bank" is quite good. Have had several business lunches there. They also have done very nice group lunches for my husband. Sometimes you can get a better rate for the hotel on www.ezrooms.co.uk (or it might be www.ezrooms.com I can't remember). Anyway, I have booked a weekend night for as little as 130 GBP. Usually, my husbands business rate is closer to 200 GBP in high season. <BR>Just a small note, Ilove when your taxi drives up to the front door, and the doormen come out to get you. It makes you feel so "posh". They have on those big tall hats. Again, its a great location for the "sights", but these days I try to stay in one of the neighborhoods.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Lara

For those of you that stayed, can you offer a comment on their breakfast? Is the additional price worth it?<BR><BR>Lara