New Years in London

Aug 14th, 2002, 04:42 AM
Denise

New Years in London

Two couples are planning a trip to London for New Years (dec 27-jan 3) Two hotels available to us are Jolly St Ermins and Hilton Metropole. Which is the best location and which has the best rooms.

Aug 14th, 2002, 05:52 AM
Jamila

I haven't stayed at the Jolly St. Ermins, but I strongly recommend the Hilton London Metropole. It's across the street from the Edgeware Road tube station AND a 7 minute walk from Paddington Station.

The Club level rooms are very spacious and have great bathrooms. I was originally book for a standard room, which was ok, but smaller than what we see in the US. I told the front desk, and was immediately upgraded with no questions or change in room rate.

The customer service at this hotel is the best I've ever experienced in my life. The workout room is free to use and the full breakfast is awesome!

Aug 14th, 2002, 07:22 AM
Giovanna

Denise: We are searching for a similar trip, leaving SFO 12/26 and return 1/2 or 3. Is your trip a package, i.e. flight/hotel? If so, would appreciate hearing about the particulars.

Aug 14th, 2002, 11:10 AM
janis

St Ermins is in a MUCH better location. It is in Caxton Street, within a couple of blocks of: Buckingham Palace, St James Park, Westminster Abbey, Whitehall, the Cabinet War Rooms, the river and Victoria Station. It is less than 100 yards from the St James park tube station.

It is a very nice property in a great location. I wouldn't stay out at Paddington/Edgeware/Marylebone (Metropole) if I could stay in the very center a couple of minutes from Big Ben.

Aug 14th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Just Asking

Does Janis have an opinion on everything in London? Seems like she has a reply going no matter the question.

Aug 14th, 2002, 07:20 PM
tom

Why all the Janis bashing today? As I understand it she is a travel consultant of some sort and may even teach courses about london and GB. I may have this wrong. From what I can tell she is very knowledgeable about Scotland, London, England and Ireland. If you do not appreciate her help don't use it. I for one have learned a lot from her suggestions, particularly about apartments, theater and the cotswalds.

Aug 14th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Jane

Well mark me down as another Janis fan. I appreciate the knowledge she shares with us. A few years back - on another travel site - she replied to an e-mail request from me for her packing tips. I have used that packing method ever since - and Janis, I believe I thanked you then, but just in case I didn't - Thanks! - not only for that, but all your help here as well.

Aug 16th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Erica

is this a package deal? if not does anyone know what they range from? i'm interested in heading back there for new yrs but of course its still up in the air.

Aug 16th, 2002, 04:14 PM
Ben Haines

For Just Asking: I have not wholly understood your message: would you prefer that Janis stayed silent when she has something useful to say ? I agree with her on these hotels and welcome her useful comment. Moreover, I value her frequent interventions here.

Ben Haines, London

Aug 16th, 2002, 04:58 PM
janis

Gee - thanks Ben, Tom and Jane. Appreciate the kind words.

I do post often - but usually only when I think I can add something of value or when something needs correction or clarification.

Sorry if I offend some - but having seen the predicaments some travelers run into with faulty information/advice . . . I just try to help if I can.