Croatia Menu Translator

Apr 10th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Croatia Menu Translator

My husband and I are going to Croatia for the first time in November. We are both, unfortunately, very picky eaters. I don't eat seafood of any kind, and since southern Dalmatia obviously has lots of seafood choices I'm a little concerned about eating there. I am hoping to find a good menu translator, but am not having much luck in my research. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Tracy
Apr 10th, 2006, 08:10 AM

Most places we went in round Cavtat and Dubrovnik had menus in English and had lots of simply cooked food - chicken, steak, etc,as well as fish. You shouldn't have a problem.
Apr 10th, 2006, 08:11 AM

the menus will be in croatian, english, german and possibly french - no need for a translator. Plus almost all the Croatians I met could speak english.

pity you don't like seafood - the fish, octopus, mussels are excellent....
Apr 10th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Phew....that's a relief! Thank you both for your replies!

Carta_Pisana, I hate that I don't like seafood. It would definitely make traveling easier. There is just something about the smell that brings back memories of spending time in Galveston in my childhood and all the fishing boats....I can't seem to get past it.

Thanks again,
Tracy
Apr 10th, 2006, 10:10 AM

Tracy -
I will say the fish I had in Croatia never had a strong odor - the flesh was white and clean, the flesh firm. I grew up on the west coast of Florida - the combination of heat, humidity and dead fish was pretty potent. As a child i would only eat fish if it had been seriously deep fried and smothered in tartar sauce. If you decide to try some fish I recommend either orada or scorpino.
Apr 10th, 2006, 12:55 PM

Don't worry about the food - there is lots to eat asides from fish.

Just in case you find a menu which is not in English here are some non-fish words [avoid anything with the word riba in it] :

Janjetina - Lamb
Prsut - smoked dried ham
Sir - cheese
Teletina - Veal
Juha - soup
Njoki - Gnocchi
Svinjetina - Pork

I have just translated a menu from Croatian to English and could send you both versions so you can check!
Apr 10th, 2006, 01:05 PM

TC..as a frequent traveler to Croatia, my only word of advice is "not to worry!" English is spoken everywhere and most menus are in English as well as Croatian, some in German and French, Italian. The Italian influence in Croatian food is very pronounced...excellent rendiutions of rissoto dishes, gnocchi, pizzas, pastas.
Have fun...and wing it.
Stu T.
Apr 10th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to those who responded. It definitely makes me feel better. We are very much looking forward to this trip, although I was worried that I may not eat for the entire week! And as an avid gnocci fan, its nice to see that it will be on the menus.

Tracy
Apr 11th, 2006, 11:28 AM

TC..also the gelato rivals anything in Italy..in Dubrovnik, there are two outstanding Gelato shops..one at the Pile Gate and the other on one of the side streets off the Stradun...to the left as you walk south down the Stradun toward the clock tower...enjoy!
Try "The Captain restaurant"...excellent meat grill dishes and risotto dishes..on one of the terrace "streets", two "floors" above the Stradun (you'll never have a smelly fish dish ehere)
Stu T.
Apr 11th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Stu, thank you so much. Your information will prove invaluable, I'm sure. I love gelato and read with great interest about the gelato in Croatia. Good to know its as good as the guidebooks say! And thank you so much for being so kind as to give me a restaurant recommendation. I will print off this thread before I leave, so all the information will be extremely helpful.

Thanks again!
Tracy
Apr 11th, 2006, 12:56 PM

Buffet "Skola"
Antuninska 1
just off Stradun

Tracy - Another meat rec in Dubrovnik. This place serves only a simple sandwhich of prust, cheese and freshly baked bread - and oh so good and simple.