Croatia Itinerary - please help

May 6th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Croatia Itinerary - please help

We are planning our first trip to Croatia Sep 19 - Oct 4. We hope to rent a car at Split for the second part of the journey, and use public transportation between Dubrovnik, Korcula and Split.
I found daily bus between Dubrovnik and Korcula, but can’t find anything from Korcula to Split – hope someone here has good recommendations.
If it’s too difficult/time consuming to travel to Korcula in late September should I replace it with some other destination?

Day 1 - arriving @ 12 pm - Dubrovnik
Day 2 - Dubrovnik
Day 3 - ?day trip to Montenegro - considering an overnight trip on day 1 on arrival
Day 4 - Dubrovnik to Korcula - bus @ 15:00
Day 5 - Korcula
?Day 6 - Korcula to Split (how to get from K to S)???
Day 7 - Split (Diocletian's Palace, Ivan Mestrovic Gallery, Marjan park, Harbor)
Day 8 - Split - Trogir - Sibenik
Day 9 - Sibenik - Krka NP
Day 10 - Zadar
Day 11 (Mon) - Plitvice Lakes NP (check if it's possible to visit on Mon)
Day 12 - Istria
Day 13 - Istria
Day 14 - afternoon drive from Istria to Zagreb (drop car)
Day 15 - Zagreb
Day 16 - departing @ 1:20 pm - Zagreb - will have time for early morning stroll

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
May 6th, 2014, 09:47 AM

There's a fast catamaran (basically a commuter service) leaving daily early in the morning from Korcula to Split. I mean, 6am I think (this was 2009, check current schedules). Unfortunately, if you meant to arrive on the afternoon bus from Dubrovnik (I did too), that would mean only a very brief stay in Korcula unless you have two nights there. (Not clear from your itinerary.)

I had a great stay at the Apartments Lenni in Korcula, if you are looking for a place. Great location close to the center of the old town.

Yes, it's no fun to get up so early for the catamaran out from Korcula, but the upside is, you have a long day in Split, and you could potentially have only one night there. Many people don't really need much time there. You could easily explore Diocletian's Palace and maybe even day trip out to Trogir because you'll get into Split by about 9am.

I'm pretty sure I visited Plitvice Lakes on a Sunday and Monday (stayed over Sunday night), visited the park both days, in October, so I think you'd be OK there.
May 6th, 2014, 09:55 AM

A further note about the catamaran: it may not run if the weather is terrible. On the day I took it, weather was so-so and we went but the following night/morning there was a bad storm, and I don't think it traveled that day - I didn't see it in Split harbor that morning at the same time it had dropped me off the previous morning. So just keep that in mind.

Check the weekly ferry schedules; perhaps you can take the big car ferry (as a foot passenger) between Dubrovnik and Korcula or Korcula and Split if it happens to be running that day.
May 6th, 2014, 10:02 AM

Check ferry schedules at http://www.jadrolinija.hr/.
If you need to depart from Vela Luka, there are buses from Korcula town--it takes about 30-45 minutes. Looks like the catamaran direct from Korcula town operates until September 28 though, so you should be fine.

If you decide you want to visit Montenegro, it is easiest with a rental car (otherwise you can pay for a tour, as the bus schedule won't accommodate a day trip). You could do a one-day rental, or, if you decide to keep the rental car the entire time, you can drive to Korcula, leaving the car parked in Orebic and taking the short ferry over to Korcula.

I would spend more time in fewer places, but only you know your preferred pace of travel.
May 6th, 2014, 10:05 AM

Also, I forgot the coastal line is back on--it also ends Sept, 28: http://www.jadrolinija.hr/docs/defau...4.pdf?sfvrsn=2
(So you can forget what I said about Vela Luka).
May 6th, 2014, 10:11 AM

The catamaran does run every day even off season, according to this:

http://www.korculainfo.com/ferries/c...an-korcula.htm

but on Sundays off season (and certain other days throughout the year - holidays?) it departs Korcula in the afternoon, not at 6am.
May 6th, 2014, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Andrew, thank you.
Someone of Trip Advisor just posted the link to catamaran schedule:
http://www.jadrolinija.hr/en/home

It's not ideal with 6 am departure, but I am happy we have this option.

I originally planned 2 nights at Korcula, I might add another night now.
May 6th, 2014, 10:24 AM

Yes, but it is always best to verify by actual date with the specific provider--these things change, and the tourist office websites do not always update their pages.
May 6th, 2014, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Yorkshire.
We are planning to rent a car for the trip to Montenegro.
I didn't research all the details yet. We might take a car at the Dubrovnik airport on arrival and go to Montenegro first, and spend the first night there.

Each trip we take I promise not to pack too much; but then I read the boards, travel books, or just see some pictures... and want to see it all.
May 6th, 2014, 11:28 AM

I have the same problem, travfirst! Too many things to see, hard to slow it down...

I bought my catamaran ticket the day before departure, so I knew it was running the next day (weather permitting). Even so, wouldn't be bad to have an alternate route planned to Split. At worst you could ferry between Korcula and Orebic and then Orebic and the mainland...and then bus up to Split. Not ideal but it would get you there, eventually.
May 7th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Andrew, I was looking at reviews for Apartments Lenni in Korcula. Thank you for recommending it. It sounds very nice.
Any other accommodations you enjoyed and can recommend?

Was it difficult to get from the apartment to catamaran at 6 am? how early did you have to leave?

I knew about Korcula-Orebic option. It takes so much time to get to Split that way. Hope the catamaran will be running on the day we need it.
May 7th, 2014, 09:59 AM

I don't remember it being too difficult to get from Apartments Lenni to the catamaran, but I didn't have many bags, and I'm used to dragging them 10-15 minutes routinely to/from public transportation. If you have big, heavy luggage, you need to give yourself some extra time. Apartments Lenni as I recall is up a few steps - not an immense set of steps but a few. I think my biggest confusion was which side of the island the catamaran would dock at, because there were two places, and I couldn't get anyone to tell me which one (perhaps it varied). Re-reading my trip report, I said it wound up being the eastern dock - but there is a different catamaran serving this route now anyway, so that could easily have changed since 2009. The island is so small though that this really isn't such a big deal.

You'll simply need to plan to get up early for the catamaran. I dreaded it, but once said and done it wasn't such a big deal. Because of a last-minute flight cancellation I wound up getting up around 3AM two mornings later to catch an early flight out of Split, so getting up at 5AM for the catamaran was like sleeping in!

I can't enthusiastically recommend any of the accommodations besides Apartments Lenni in the places you will visit that I stayed. None of them were bad but none were amazing. In Dubrovnik (re-reading my trip report), I stayed at Edi's Sea View Rooms. The room itself was clean but felt very overpriced, and the view wasn't exactly of Dubrovnik anyway - but the location at Pile Gate was good I thought: no steps, easy access to buses, close to a few stores. I would stay at Edi's again but I think I would look more carefully for other options next time.

At Plitvice, I stayed at one of the park hotels, the Hotel Plitvice. An advantage of staying at a park hotel (which is otherwise overpriced) beyond the obvious close proximity to the park entrance is the fact that you can enter the park a second (or third) day on the same ticket; just have the hotel stamp your original ticket. At least, that's how it was in 2009! It was nice to explore the park a little more the final morning before departing, before the tour groups arrived, and had I stayed elsewhere I probably wouldn't have bothered, but it was so close that I did. Many people stay at B&Bs near the park, and they are probably a much better value than the park hotels. There are very few proper "hotels" in the area beyond the park-run hotels but lots of sobe and B&Bs in the area, within a few kilometers.