Notices

Croatia flights

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Croatia flights

We want to spend a in Dubrovnik and then spend a week in Santa Margherita Ligure or we can do the reverse. I am having a difficult time trying to figure out the best way to get get from California to Dubrovnik and then to Genoa. We have Delta FF miles and we would like to use them to upgrade to Business Class. I guess the part I'm really having a problem with is the portion that is to Dubrovnik from USA and Dubrovnik to Genoa.
If we go go to Genoa 1st, what is the best way to get to Dubrovnik and then back to USA? Is there an itinerary that I haven't thought of that might be easier? If there is somewhere we might stop off for a couple a days to make the transfer easier what would you recommend? We do not want to spend a day or two here and there, our main objective is to spend a week in each place. We do not want to drive but would use public transportation, taxi's or a private driver.
Any ideas, recommendations would be appreciated.
Lisa
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 10:30 AM

I suggest using your Delta FF miles to get to one of the major airports in Europe and from there you can catch a plane to Croatia on Croatia airlines

You can get to Croatia from virtually all of the biggest airports in Europe. (Alot of flights connect in London, Paris, Amsterdam and Frankfurt). Check croatiaairlines.com "flight schedule" and you can see availability/dates from the various airports.

I suggest not purchasing the Croatia airlines portion on their website or any other website for that matter. I have found the best deals through travel agencies that specialize in Croatia travel. Try contacting:

adriatictours.com (located in CA)
panadriatic.com (located in NY)

Hope this helps
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 11:35 AM

I was able to trade Delta FF miles and get to Zagreb. Houston>Paris>Prague>Zagreb. This is all Air France and Croatia air. I wanted to stop in Zagreb---who knows maybe they would have let me go all the way to Dubrovnik. Mind you, I had to call three times before I got someone who could get me the tickets and it took 45 minutes of him checking and checking again. Everyone else just said "no we don't fly there". Good luck!
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 12:42 PM

LisaM -
I just got back from Liguria (stayed in Camogli and Nervi). I flew NYC-Paris-Genoa. My friend flew Philadelphia-Rome-Genoa.

When I flew to Dubrovnik I went through London. For Hvar it was NYC-Frankfurt-Split.

Being that Croatia is popular with Italians - I'm guessing there should be connections through Rome.

I use PanAdriatic, located in Queens - they may be able to help:

http://www.panadriatic.com/

Sounds like a great trip.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 09:06 PM

LisaM,

There's an interesting connection via SkyEurope from Orio al Serio Airport (Milan): Milan > Bratislava > Dubrovnik. Relatively inexpensive too. Arrives in Dubrovnik around three in the afternoon.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 10:52 PM

I believe the closest you can get to Dubrovnik with Delta Skymiles is to fly to Prague and then connect to CSA Czech airlines to Split. CSA is a Skyteam member.

Not saying that's going to be the best way, but just another option.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the many ideas. Keep them coming! Thanks
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 06:52 AM

Other possibilities:

Aer Lingus: LA > Dublin > Dubrovnik.

RyanAir flies London <> Genoa.

You could also use AlItalia for Genoa > Rome > Ancona/Bari, and take the summer hydroplane Adriatic ferries (4 hours) from there to Dubrovnik.