Airfare to Croatia and renting a car

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2003, 09:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have a good itinerary they would like to share? I'm arranging travel from San Francisco to Croatia for 4 adults.<BR>The flights seem really expensive to fly direct into ZAG or DBV. Has anyone tried flying into a nearby city (Munich, Frankfurt, Milan, etc) and either taking a short flight into Croatia, a train or renting a car? Our basic plan so far is to visit Dubrovnick, Zagreb and as much in between as we can. Has anyone had problem renting a car in Italy or Germany and dropping it off in Croatia? Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 07:39 AM

I flew Austrian Air last June from Seattle for about $850--open jaw arriving in Dubrovnik and leaving from Zagreb. It was routed through DC and Vienna. I couldn't find anything cheaper.<BR><BR>You'll love Croatia, have a great trip!
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 08:14 AM

I flew from NYCto London to Dubrovnik for a little over $500 at the beginning of Sept. (2002). I used PanAdriatic and will be using them again this year<BR><BR>http://www.panadriatic.com/main.html
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 10:00 AM

When I first started pricing airfare to Croatia, Orbitz lowest price was in the 1,300 USD range.<BR><BR>I tried the same agency that Mark recommended (very helpful associates, our agent is from Zadar) and booked a flight Orlando-New York-Frankfurt-Dubrovnik for arrival, and Zagreb-Frankfurt-Atlanta-Orlando for our departure. The flights from/to the US are Delta, those involving Frankfurt to/from Croatia are Croatian Airlines. The round trip ticket with tax was $900 for May. <BR><BR>We are not renting a car and plan on taking ferries for trips to Korcula, Hvar &amp; Split. From Split we are headed to Slovenia, so we've booked a flight from Split to Zagreb (Croatian Airlines) for about $25 USD, much better than the 7 hour train ride. Then we'll catch a train to Ljubljana.<BR><BR>I seem to remember some posts cautioning about taking a car into Croatia from other countries, I'll see if I can find that for you.<BR><BR>
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 10:06 AM

Here is that link, I think you will find it helpful.<BR><BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/postreply.jsp?fid=2&amp;start=0&amp;tid=1351633&am p;keyword=123&amp;searchText=patrick<BR><BR>(If this does not work, search under Patrick in country Croatia, the thread is about driving in Croatia).
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your input. I really appreciate it. I'll be checking the thread regularly for any additional ideas.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 07:42 AM

We did it quite inexpensively a year ago by using Europe by Air flight pass. (www.europebyair.com). One way flights are $99 between cities. We found an inexpensive flight to Paris, then used the airpass (you do have reserved seats) to Zagreb, and then back from Dubrovnik. Check the map on the europebyair site, but I think there are routes between Zagreb and Paris, London, Frankfurt; between Dubrovnik and London,Frankfurt, and Munich. Since it's usually very easy to get a really bargain flight to London or Paris, this may be a really inexpensive way for you to do it. (Be sure you can book your Europe by Air passes first, as there are limited seats on each flight). Our flight was on Croatian Airlines which we found to be fine by interantional standards. We arranged for a car rental through Atlas travel agency in Dubrovnik, picked it up in Zagreb and left it off in Dubrovnik. Good luck!
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 11:41 PM

This may be too late to help you, but I too live in San Francisco and travel to Dubrovnik frequently.<BR>If you are going before the high season, you can get a relatively cheap fare on Virgin to London and then fly direct to Dubrovnik. (Total somewhere around $675--check with Pan Adriatic.)<BR>Pan Adriatic (http://www.panadriatic.com/main.html)usually can recommend good fares and itineraries. We have also used Europe by Air. If possible, take a direct flight to Dubrovnik from London, Rome, or Frankfurt. Flights from all other European cities are through Zagreb, which adds another segment to your flight plus more aggravation. <BR>You will love Croatia.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 04:53 AM

Hello

I wish you a pleasant time in Dubrovnik !!!

If you need my help don't hesitate to contact me

regrads

Tom
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 06:55 PM
coac

Maybe you've already gone to Croatia. I live in the SF Bay Area. Went to Croatia and Slovenia in Sept 2002. After some research, we found a local travel agent that offered the best price in airfare. The travel agency, Ambrit Travel (ask for Audrey) in San Ramon, uses consolidators. We were able to use Lufthansa and fly into Munich, then into Zagreb and a short flight to Dubrovnik. Cost was about $880 including taxes from from SFO.

We arranged the car rental through the agency also, picked up the car in Split with a drop off in Slovenia. Each rental car agency has their own rules regarding travel to other countries so check the fine print. If you can drive the Big Sur coastline, you can drive Croatia.

Go to Croatia. You'll love it!