Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Croatia and Slovenia itinerary - Please advise

Jan 23rd, 2007, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

I am trying to finalize my fall itinerary and would love some feedback. Ideally I would like to take a ferry/catamaran from Dubrovnik but the late September schedules I saw do not have a Monday departure which is what we need. I would like your advice as whether I should be spending longer in one place and less time at another. We will have a car once we leave Dubrovnik.

Day 1 Arrive in Dubrovnik late afternoon from the U.S.
Day 2 & 3 Dubrovnik; go to Montenegro if time permits
Day 4 & 5 Trogir area
Day 6 & 7 Plitvice Lakes
Day 8 & 9 Rovinj/Istria
Day 10 & 11 Bohinj or Bled
Day 12 & 13 Zagreb
Day 14 Fly out

Thank you for your help.

Jan 23rd, 2007, 02:27 PM

You have a fast paced itinerary, and you're covering a great deal of territory.

Lots of good choices, it's hard to narrow it down. But if it were me, I'd skip Slovenia for now and try to get to at least one of the islands (Hvar or Korcula).

I would add more time to Dubrovnik, at least one or two more days. Plenty to do outside of Dubrovnik for good day trips. I would probably take the days from Zagreb.

I would also add a day to Istria.

Have fun planning.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 02:41 PM

I like your itinerary. We covered some similar grounds in our trip this past November and had a fabulous time. Some thoughts:

I agree that I would add another day to Dubrovnik, especially if you do the Montenegro tour (which I can't recommend enough, btw). Its a small, compact town but delightful and part of the joy of being there is simply being there and taking things slowly.

I really enjoyed Trogir but its tiny. Unless you are planning on doing daytrips, a day/night would be more than enough.

I really liked Zagreb; much more than I thought I would. That being said, I think a day, or even half a day, is plenty.

From Bled or Bohinj, definitely try to get to Ljubljana. Its a fabulous city, one of my favorites. Its compact enough that you could see a lot of it in a day or less. We only spent about 6 hours there and felt like we saw quite a bit. Its worth the effort if you have the time.

Good luck!
Tracy
Jan 25th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice. Would you recommend taking a bus from Dubrovnik to Split and taking the ferry from there to Hvar? It seems like all the ferry options go out of Split, rather than Dubrovnik. If I go this route, I'd rather pick up a rental car when we return back to Split instead of in Dubrovnik. The logistics of getting to the islands are confusing to me.
Jan 25th, 2007, 06:41 PM

I agree with Tracy on most points. We had 5 nights in Dubrovnik last summer and it wasn't enough. It is just a wonderful area. Caution if you drive north from Dubrovnik... it takes a LOT longer than mapquest says. Like forever!! Trogir is adorable, but 1 night is enough. Plitvice is too wonderful--We lucked out and found a room at a magical b&b about 30 minutes away. We show people pictures and they all think it's the park! Let me know if you want info on it. We stayed on Lake Bled-- get a room looking over the lake. It is smaller than Bohinj... Bohinj is more wild, like a national park (Yosemite-like in parts) and Bled is more like a tourist recreaton area... you can walk all around the lake in 1-2 hours and a real (small) town there. We also loved Zagreb, though it is a city and not so different from any other cute city. We also LOVED Ljubljana - my husband calls it "The city that is a village." It just has a wonderful feel.
Beware the ferrys... they have odd schedules and are often sold out! (ours was...) Should be MUCH better in the fall, however.
Have a great trip!
Kimberly (& Jeffrey)
Jan 27th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Kimberly, I saw the information on the place you stayed near Plitvice. How far away was it from the park? Also, where did you stay in Lake Bled?

I am still concerned about the ferry schedules, particularly since they don't run as frequently in the fall so I might have to opt to driving and taking a day trip, maybe to Korcula.
Jan 27th, 2007, 09:23 AM

I did a similar trip this past September and based on my experience I think you will find one day in Trogir is enough. I did not go to Plitvice but from what I have read one day may be enough there. I would swap one day in Zagreb for a day in
Ljubljana.
Jan 28th, 2007, 01:05 AM

internetwiz-- The place we stayed near plitvice was about 30 minutes' drive from the park center. I posted more about it-- and their web address on this fodor site. its web site doesn't even mention rooms and you can't tell how truly great (as in both stunning and charming) the land is at the place. tiny, tiny room...but they do have nicer "cabins" (separate little buildings) that cost more. I recommend it for the amazing surroundings (as in world class beauty) and nice people. In Bled, we stayed at the Hotel Jadran, which we liked. MUST get a balcony over the lake. Pretty good breakfasts. It is a sister property to the Toplice, which is across the street and twice the price. The Toplice lets Jadran's guests use its thermal indoor pool, which is gorgeous and looks out over the lake. (the water is thermal magic, as well.) We loved Lake Bled... and if you want to see Bojine as well, you can take a bus there for the afternoon from Bled. The station was about 15 min walk from the hotel. Hope this helps.
-k.
Feb 1st, 2007, 06:38 PM
Syl

I would suggest 2 days in charming Ljubljana.The food is fantastic (a blend of all the border countries).Late Sept. is iffy for weather in Bled/Bohinj as we hit rain mid Sept.& rerouted to lovely Piran instead for 2 days. Try to catch the Skocjan caves(Unesco Heritage Site)& 2 days in Plitvice is great. It's gorgeous!!I would skip Istria & spend some time in Hvar, driving around Hvar Island.Trogir is fine for a day & a sleepover on your way to catch the Jadrolinja car ferry to Hvar (Tues or Sat. only so check the sched). Advice for Dubrovniktay away from the old town while the cruiseships & tour buses are there (between 9:30& 3:30 approx).Dub is magical at night.Don't forget a stopover at the Buza Bar in Dub.It's a glorious spot on a cliff accessed through a hole in the old wall.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 07:29 PM

I would not suggest skipping Bled - we really loved Slovenia and in particular Bled. It's so easy to drive around the national parks and it is so beautiful and peaceful there. Ljubljana wasn't our favorite destination, but would probably be nice to walk around one afternoon if you find that you have extra time in Slovenia.
Two days is probably too much for Trogir - it was a great town, but easily seen in an afternoon.