Search

Croatia 10 day itinerary - last minute planning

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2023, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Croatia 10 day itinerary - last minute planning

Hi all,

You guys have been a huge help for my trip planning in the past and here I am coming with another last minute planning this year.
Looking to book for August. I know this is going to blow my budget but it's either now or nothing this year

Here is my rough itinerary:
  • Flying from SFO to Split ( looking for afternoon arrival)
  • Taxi transfer to Dubrovnik
  • 3 nights in Dubrovnik -
    • Shortlisted Hilton Imperial in city center.
    • Spend one day at Dubrovnik and another on a day trip to Montenegro/Bay of Kotor
  • Ferry from Dubrovnik to Split
  • 5 nights in Split
    • Shortlisted Hotel President
    • 2 days for split
    • 1 day for Hvar day trip
    • 1 day for Plitvice lakes national park - through guided tour with transportation
    • 1 day for Blue Cave/Togir day trip
  • Fly back to SFO

Though I wanted to add a night in Plitvice and Zagreb, I am not renting a car on this trip. Also don't want to drag the luggage everywhere and that limits how much we can move around. so, trying to stay in two cities max.

Is this looks doable ? Am I missing out on any major must see ? Do you have any recommendations for taxi/private transfers between Split & Dubrovnik ?

Thanks for your help in advance !
Old Jul 14th, 2023, 12:34 AM

Did you already book your ticket and that is why you are flying into Split? Why not fly into Dubrovnik?

I would not want to get into a car for a three hour journey after that long flight from SFO. If indeed your flight is in and out of Split and not changeable I would spend a couple of days in Split, then go down to Dubrovnik, then back to Split for the remainder. You could even visit Hvar on the way, maybe spend the night there (there are hotels very close to the catamaran stop) then continue on to Dubrovnik via catamaran.

I would also not do a day trip to Montenegro in August. you are going to spend too many precious hours sitting in traffic. I am in Montenegro now, friends came from Croatia two days ago on a motorcycle (pissing off all the other tourists stuck in their cars) and the queue to get through was, in their estimation, two kilometers long. And this is just to get through the border, then you will sit in traffic getting into Kotor too. And August will be even worse.

You can stay inside Croatia and find plenty to do. If you wanted to spend the night in Plitvice, you could do it with a toothbrush, I am sure those hotels would allow you to leave suitcases if you are returning to their hotel.

Both Split and Dubrovnik will be super busy - have you managed to get reservations at the hotels? I would not delay.

For the transfer from Split to Dubrovnik, if you decide to go that route, I have used drivers from Applicon many times.
:: APPLICON TOURS ::

I also know a guide/driver in Split who takes people to Plitvice and Dubrovnik all the time, I can't imagine he has any free days in August but if you send me a private message I can ask him and if he is free then give him your info (or vice versa.)

Old Jul 14th, 2023, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

Hi rialtogrl
Thanks so much for your reply. I was hoping to do the booking this weekend. The hotels that I have shortlisted are available. I also looked in in to flying to Dubrovnik and flying out of Split. Costs almost double compared to round trip from one location. Still an option I am considering.

You also make a good point about Montenegro. I did not realize it is going to be that crowded. Looks like that may not work out.

Croatia has been on my list for so long. One of the reasons I have been putting it off is due to the time it takes to travel between cities and more reliance on private transfers between places especially when we are on a time crunch trying to visit only for 8-10 days. I am almost tempted to halt this plan and give more lead time to plan at a relaxed pace possibly in spring or fall when it is less crowded.

Let me sleep on this today. Once I go through with the flight and hotel booking, I will message you regarding the private driver contact in Split.
Thanks again !!

Old Jul 14th, 2023, 11:47 PM

Nema problema. Since your time is so short, you could also stick to Split and around there, and save Dubrovnik and Montenegro for another trip.
Old Jul 15th, 2023, 05:51 AM

Following as we’re looking at a similar trip for end April/early May 2024, probably 10-12 days.
Old Jul 16th, 2023, 10:37 PM
Original Poster

rialtogrl After lots of thoughts and discussions, we have decided to wait on Croatia until next year. So for our mother and daughter trip this year, we changed course to Amsterdam & Belgium . This plan seems more practical as the cities are well connect by trains.

I was able to get round trip tickets to Amsterdam for $1300 which is still a good deal considering my last minute booking. I also booked hotel stay for Amsterdam. Will be booking hotels in Belgium tomorrow. On our list are Brussels, Bruges, and Ghent on trains.

It's not Croatia like we wanted, but we are still pretty excited about the trip as we have never been to Belgium and Netherlands.

Thanks again for your feedback and practical tips.
Old Jul 17th, 2023, 02:51 AM

Sounds fab! When you think about next year, think about late September

Old Jul 18th, 2023, 02:56 PM

Hi All- I'd love to jump in here and grab opinions on something similar. My husband and I arrive in Dubrovnik on Sept 10th, 3 nights Dubrovnik (with one day trip to Montenegro)- then we are trying to decide if we should have a base in Hvar 4- 5 nights and do day tripping around islands and wineries from there? Then end with 2 nights in Split? Or would it be better to hop from Dubrovnik to Korcula 2 nights- hvar 2 nights - Brac- 1 night end split 1 night? Dates are Sept 10 arrival in Dubrovnik and leaving Split Sept 20th. Any input on how to break it up with beach/city vacay is much appreciated!
Old Jul 18th, 2023, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by theycallmeadj
Hi All- I'd love to jump in here and grab opinions on something similar. My husband and I arrive in Dubrovnik on Sept 10th, 3 nights Dubrovnik (with one day trip to Montenegro)- then we are trying to decide if we should have a base in Hvar 4- 5 nights and do day tripping around islands and wineries from there? Then end with 2 nights in Split? Or would it be better to hop from Dubrovnik to Korcula 2 nights- hvar 2 nights - Brac- 1 night end split 1 night? Dates are Sept 10 arrival in Dubrovnik and leaving Split Sept 20th. Any input on how to break it up with beach/city vacay is much appreciated!
HI, may I suggest you begin your own thread? The OP in this one has moved away from her original plan for Crostia and others may not see yours to respond. When you post, it woild be helpful to include your interests and possible sightseeing you have in mind. TBH, you might be shorting Split a bit but it all depends on your interests in the end.