Crich to Whitby

Nov 4th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Crich to Whitby

Can anyone suggest a place to stay overnight between Crich in Derbyshire and Whitby and any must see things to do on the way?
Nov 4th, 2010, 09:52 AM

It's only a 3 hour drive.
Nov 4th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Yes I know but have to check out of Crich accommodation on Friday and can't check into Whitby until Sat afternoon.
Nov 4th, 2010, 10:09 AM

Difficult to answer wihtout knowing your budget, interests and when and how you are travelling.
You could stay somewhere in the North Yorks Moors area perhaps - loads of places here to fit all budgets from pubs to Hotels to farm stays to rural B&Bs.
www.yorkshirenet.co.uk
www.northyorkmoors.org.uk
Or maybe overnight in York itself, a beautiful city with much to see and do.
www.visityork.org
If you have a Herriot interest then Thirsk would be your place.
www.worldofjamesherriot.org
Nearer Whitby you could see -
Castle Howard
Eden Camp
Rievaulx Abbey
North Yorks Moors Railway
Pickering (castle, museum)
Beningborough Hall
Newby Hall
Robin Hood's Bay
However, this all depends on when you are travelling as some of these places are 'put to bed' between the end of October and Easter.
Nov 4th, 2010, 10:15 AM

Robin Hoods Bay is a great place to visit - stunning location. For an eccentric, old fashioned seaside town Filey was a delight that I didnt expect.
Nov 4th, 2010, 10:15 AM

OK. Haworth maybe? Skipton? or York for a night?
Or a night in Manchester maybe?
Nov 4th, 2010, 10:17 AM

Robin Hoods Bay is a trip out from Whitby, not a place to stay on the way there.
Nov 4th, 2010, 10:27 AM

Haworth & Skipton as well as Manchester would make the trip to Whitby longer.

The direct route (up the M1, turn right for York) would take you through Malton with Pickering a bit further on (North Yorks Railway).

You could go further up the M1 then onto the A19 for Thirsk or go up Sutton Bank and stay in Helmsley which is convenient for Rievaulx Abbey.

But if you can find a parking space my choice would be York
Nov 4th, 2010, 10:27 AM

Look at Beverley - I forgotten gem that's not out of your way and is enormously undervisited and appreciated in my opinion. Lots to see, do and plenty of accommodation at a range of prices. Assume your driving - it's also easy to drive in and out of and, if you're going the Crich, Mansfield, Newark, Lincoln way you've an excellent excuse to a) cross the Humber Bridge (it's the very best!) and then spend a couple of hours at The Deep just the other side outside of Hull.

That makes a journey into a trip with a destination to savour.

Dr D.
Nov 4th, 2010, 10:30 AM

I'd probably choose either in York or the Thirsk area as well.

Not knowing your budget,here are a few in/near Thirsk

http://www.thornboroughhouse.freeserve.co.uk/
http://gallerybedandbreakfast.co.uk/index.asp
http://townpasturefarm.co.uk/
http://www.manor-house-cottage.co.uk/
http://greystonefarm-bedandbreakfast.co.uk/
Nov 4th, 2010, 11:10 AM

Robin Hood's Bay is only just over 5 miles from Whitby and although I mentioned it as a place to visit, I don't see why you couldn't stay there overnight if you wished, especially if you love being by the sea.
It's only 10 or 15 mins drive away from Whitby. It's VERY different from Whitby though and I particularly love the way it empties one all the tourists goes and you have the place practically to yourself to explore.
There are great coastal walks as well once you get down to the bottom of the very steep main street. You can stay at the top of the hill in the newer part of the village, or you can stay in the old village itself.
This website gives lots of accommodation options.
www.bayfair.co.uk
However.................it can be pretty wild and bleak in winter so again it depends when you are travelling.
Nov 4th, 2010, 11:47 AM

Beverley is a good idea too. The Minster is well worth a visit, and Dr D's route suggestion makes for an interesting trip.
The Deep is worth a visit, if you are in the area, but whether you go out of your way to see it is another matter.

OP has a couple of days to kill which is why I suggested Haworth etc. Makes for an interesting drive to Whitby as well.
Nov 5th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you guys! We will be there 13th May and will driving. Cost is up to 150 UK pound. Will have a look at all the suggestions.
Nov 5th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Original Poster

After a week in Whitby touring the north Yorkshire area we will be crossing over to The Lake District and Thirsk was on our list then.
Nov 5th, 2010, 06:48 AM

It's got to be York! It's so obviously half way between the two places. M1 then A64 should take about 2.5 hrs. If you haven't been before you got a treat awaiting you!
Nov 5th, 2010, 11:46 AM

York is the usual suspect, and agree that unless you've done it many times its an obvious choice - but don't miss a trip to Robin Hoods Bay.
Nov 5th, 2010, 12:22 PM

"After a week in Whitby touring the north Yorkshire area we will be crossing over to The Lake District and Thirsk was on our list then."

Not quite clear about that -- Thirsk isn't in/near the Lake district. Or, did you mean staying a night in Thirsk before going on to the Lakes?

If you already plan on staying in Thirsk -- then York would be my first choice
Nov 5th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

Yes that's what I meant janis.....York it is by the looks of it.....any suggestions for places to stay what have parking?