Canterbury and...?

Search

Canterbury and...?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canterbury and...?

We are planning to take a short(ish) break this fall and visit Canterbury and the surrounding area. We have never been to Canterbury before--any insights, opinions? Places to stay? Dine?
Also, what villages/small towns would you recommend visiting nearby? Looking for someplace pretty, relaxing, just nice to kick back and stroll around. It doesn't have to have any major tourist sights.
Thanks!
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 08:02 AM
vcl

Canterbury, especially the Cathedral, always strikes me as Britain as theme park and overly commercial. (I have the same problem with Stratford.) If you haven't visited York yet, I suggest you go there instead. If you are determined on Canterbury, avoid the Canterbury Experience.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 08:23 AM

I really liked Leeds Castle in Maidstone, about 45 minutes drive from Canterbury.

adrienne
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 08:27 AM

Don't let vcl scare you off. I also prefer York - but Canterbury is lovely.

I do hover LOVE Kent/East Sussex in general. I personally would not stay in Canterbury for a short break. I'd pick a village in south or central Kent and use it as a base to see Canterbury, Leeds, Dover, maybe one of the seaside resorts, and some of the wonderful castles, palaces and gardens. There is more than enough to fill a couple of weeks let alone a long weekend.

My Favorites are Scotney, Sissinghurst, Bodiam, Hever, Chartwell, Penshurst Place, Dover castle, Walmer castle and Rye.

Staying near Biddenden/Tenterden/Cranbrook would let you get everywhere in a reasonable drive.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 08:28 AM

That sould be "I do however LOVE . . . . "
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 08:41 AM

BT:-

Again; don't let vcl put your plans in doubt. To an Englishman York is far more the Disney/Tourist trap than Canterbury, though of course it has its plus points!

Remember Canterbury was (in part) badly bombed in the war so one end of the high street is a rather anonymous 50s/60s/70s development. However all this rebuilding did (and continues to) uncover significant Roman and Medaeval finds, Indeed as far as I'm aware there is an ongoing major dig in the city centre which you can visit and watch going on. I believe it's currently the largest excavation underway in the UK. (But you'd better check with the tourist office - and I'm sure they're on line somewhere- because that might have been wrapped up earlier this year.

Elsewhere in Kent? I wrote a year or so earlier to a similar enquiry:- "Kent:- Canterbury for a morning followed by Dover castle in the afternoon. Try and get to Rye and Battle over the border in East Sussex, both fantastic places but also try and spend an hour or two in Tenterden (not far from Sissinghurst) to experience the finest Georgian vernacular achitecture as opposed to the Georgian classicism of stately Bath and elsewhere. Its a perfect little town with a wide high street, great little shops and few tourists. Leeds castle is a wonder but again to beat the tourists consider Scotney as an alternative or Hever. Rochester Castle could be combined with a very interesting trip to the Naval Dockyards at Chatham (now a collection of Naval Museums) which have won numerous awards. Rochester is also piled high with Dickens connections and for holiday reading you could do worse than David Copperfield or Great Expectations by Kent's finest novelist. More out of the way gems: Eynsford village and Lullingstone Roman Villa (some of the finest mosaic floors in Europe), Whitstable (nr Canterbury) for Oysters and restaurants, and Fossil hunting (yes really! with a good chance of a decent find) on the Isle of Sheppey (suggest you buy a cheap hammer in the UK as I'm not sure how it'd go down on board a plane these days). Some of this stuff wont be in the guidebooks but the Kent Tourist Board should be able to help you and I'm sure they'll be on the net."
And that all holds true a year on....

If you like gardens, Vita Sackville West's @ Sissinghurst is generally regarded as one of England's finest... there are ticket allocations so get there early.
There's more Dickensiana at Broadstairs where his house (Bleak House" is a rather dark and gloomy but interesting museum.
The Roman fort at nearby Richborough is worth a visit as are the walled towns of Deal and Walmer (got to protect against those pesky French!).

For a completely off the wall cultural visit visit Derek Jarman's driftwood garden at Dungeness. He was one of Britain's finest film makers with a true vision until his untimely death from an AIDS related illness five or so years ago. Its a very desolate and windswept point at the end of a promontory jutting out into the English Channel and strangely moving.

Hope that's given you some ideas... if you need any specifics or details please ask.. I'll be around!

Enjoy your trip to the Garden Of England!

Dr D.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all...will keep your perspectives in mind. Ashford will be our "landing" point--coming over on Eurostar (but will have a car in the UK) and would like to travel no farther than 40 minutes drive from Ashford. Part of this is sightseeing, part of it scoping out a new home base, as we are relocating to the UK at the end of the year (but will need to travel back and forth to Brussels frequently, hence Ashford as our starting point).
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 09:17 AM

Ashford is a nice town, nice size and scale. Nearby is the attractive village of Chilham, on the road to Canterbury. Janis and the Dr. mention Rye, sort of in passing; I would stress it.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 09:19 AM

Well starting out from Ashford makes this so easy. A B&B in a Kentish Oasthouse near Tenterden or anywhere in that general area would be a great base to see all the places Dr_DoGood and I mentioned - and is less than 20 miles from Ashford.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 08:54 PM

By all means, visit Canterbury!!!! The history is incredible. From the Canterbury Cathedral to the Roman ruins. Shame on vcl!
I lived in Canterbury in the mid 70's and then visited 10 years ago. Granted it had changed- mostly due to a hurricane, but it is still a wonderful city. There is a lovely tea shop on High Street- can't remember the name, but I am sure the locals can tell you.
Dr. DoGood has wonderful advice- the fossil hunting just sent a wave of memories! Hever and Dover castles are worth a trip. There are also many quaint inns on the way from Canterbury to Dover.
Enjoy your trip. One word of advice, if you are moving from the States and love to eat chicken, I remember the chicken meat was always pink (even cooked well done), and tasted a little odd. Maybe it has changed in the last 30 years! Go for the lamb!
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Flyingcircus and everyone else. We will check out Ashford itself--that would be most convenient. (Flyingcircus, we are moving to the UK after four years in Brussels--if you remember the name of the tea shop, please let us know!)
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 02:59 AM

Now when any one ever mentions Kent I always post this link to an excellent B&B that I always use.
www.lamberdenhouse.co.uk/
It is close to Tenterden, VCrnbrook, Biddenden, Sissinghurst. Bodium Castle is just up the road, and Rye is jsut down the road.
I have married a Kent girl and have fallen for this part of South Kent in a big way. Plus it has a swimming pool!
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 05:02 AM

A couple of years ago my cousins and I drove ourselves down to Rye from London to stay overnight and we passed through Canterbury. I would say that the town itself might be "touristy" - but then I'm from FL where EVERYTHING is touristy. The inside of the cathedral is BEAUTIFUL though, it took our breath away - something that none of us were expecting. We just stopped in for a quick look since it was "on our way". The overnight in Rye was fantastic though. We stayed at the loveliest B & B called the Jeaks House their website is http://www.jeakeshouse.com/ - well worth the expense of the night!!! They are right on Mermaid St in one of the old buildings and the propeitors are wonderful, friendly people. The rooms were sinfully comfortable and the breakfast filled us up the next morning and was delicious to boot. We tried to have dinner on the Mermaid the night we were there, but nothing on the menu struck our fancy, so we ended up finding a small place down the street that had low beamed ceilings. We were the only people in the room and the little old guy treated us like royalty. The food was pretty good (had to try the Phesant and Quail) but unfortunatly I couldn't tell you the name of the place. The village of Rye we saw in one day though, and did a lot of shopping. On the way back up to London for our flight home we stopped at Bodiam Castle and I would have loved to have gone inside (it was closed at the time we were there), the outside was magnificent and the drive over to it was pretty.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 05:39 AM

Hi BTilke,
I mentioned this site in a post a few weeks ago, it contains lots of information on places to see in Kent:
www.kentattractions.co.uk/welcome.html

After you get settled in your new UK home, we all expect to be invited for tea.

Old May 25th, 2005, 09:14 AM

Topping for Ani
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:18 AM

janis has covered things nicely; I agree with all her suggestions. And I find Canterbury Cathedral breathtaking--don't miss going there for Evensong is you can possibly fit it in.
Old May 28th, 2005, 09:30 AM

I loved Canterbury, and also Battle, a quaint little town. If you have any interest in history, it's great to see the actual site where the Battle of Hastings changed British history. You can do an audio tour and see Battle Abbey.
Old May 28th, 2005, 10:07 AM

I ditto Rye, which popped into my mind immediately. A very nice ,relaxed town on the coast. And of course Canterbury is lovely and certainly worth getting to know. Jeakes house in Rye has a good reputation..on a tight street, parking DOWN the hill a couple of blocks. Run by very nice , friendly people.
WE stayed in Canterbury at WHite House, I believe......good location.

IF one wants to drive in both France AND England many people aren't aware of the Hertz "LeSwap" program. We've done it both ways across the channel and it's great.
In Calais you drop off the French (left side drive)car at a Hertz office very close to the terminal and pick up the English (right side drive car),then drive onto the Eurostar car train, and drive off in Folkstone...25 min later. Do the reverse when driving from England to France...switching cars in Calais. The cost of the train is included in the car rental. Works beautifully. IF one wants to drive in both countries.
Old May 28th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Ani

So much great advice...thank you!