Wine in Burgundy

Search

Wine in Burgundy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wine in Burgundy

My wife and I will be in Beaune in early July for three nights. I have done a drill down search for this info without success so thought I would post the question which is, how best can we sample and purchase the wines of this region? I know there are Caves but what about visiting some of the domaines? The latest issue of Wine Spectator has a feature on the wines of Burgundy with the top 25 domaines. I have tried a search on Google for some of these domaines and found their websites but it doesn't appear they accept visitors.

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 12:25 PM

We were in Beaune a few years ago and loved the area. We did a wine tour, but were with a small group, so did not have to arrange the wine tastings ourselves. Perhaps you could get help from the concierge at your hotel? Where are you staying?
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 12:40 PM

There are tastings available in the town. And the shops may be able to refer you to the various vineyards.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 12:52 PM

you can have a look at those websites :
http://www.burgundy-tourism.com/vin/index.htm
http://www.burgundywine.net/
http://www.cotedor-tourisme.com/fr/o...edistraire.php
I still don't understand why everybody goes to Beaune instead of Dijon, as all the great wines are nearer Dijon : Marsannay la Côte, Fixin, Gevrey Chambertin, Morey St Denis, Chambolle Musigny, Vougeot, Vosne Romanée, Nuits St Georges...
Don't think Dijon is too big, the historical center is doable on foot.
If you really want to be in the heart of vineyards, choose Nuits St Georges then and drive around, you'll see notices on cellars...
pictures of Dijon:
http://www.ofoto.fr/BrowsePhotos.jsp...id=43499444733
have a nice stay in Burgundy!
corinne
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know that there will be some domaines open as you wander from Beaune through the Cote d' Or. They will have a sign outside. Going south from Beaune the town of Mersault has a large winery whose name I can't remember right now that offers tours. As I recall they do charge a fee but it is well worth it for the interesting tour of their cellars.

North of Beaune, we visted Domaine Daniel Rion. They do have a website and I know my husband e-mailed them and made an appointment on a Saturday. They did a very nice tasting for us. Perhaps you can google the name.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 12:54 PM

domaine Rion in Vosne Romanée :
http://www.domainerion.fr/index.html
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 12:57 PM

I did a day trip to Burgandy a few years back and used an American ex-Pat who lived in the area for a tour of some vinyards.

I might suggest as a starting point contacting her to see if she can help with arrangements.

http://www.wineandvoyages.com/private_tours.html

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:50 PM

We stay quite regularly in far-West Burgundy, near the Pouilly fume and Pouilly sur Loire vineyards, across the Loire from Sancerre, not the area or wines you're pursuing, but the idea is the same: you can only visit so many producers, and as you've noted, some not at all. What you need, even in the heart of wine country, is a great cavist, who loves wine more than money, knows his or her appellations from A to Z, and is generous with tastings. We have one, in La Charite Sur Loire, in a little shop called Le Vin. Tell rlbplf about some others in Burgundy, folks!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 07:57 PM

Quite near Beaune, on the road to Bouilland, is the wine village of Savigny-les-Beaune, where one of the larger producers has a nice tasting room--no reservations needed. In Meursault is the famed Château de Meursault, with a huge cellar where various bottlings are available for a taste-on-your-own session as you go through. Most of the small wine villages, such as Gevrey-Chambertin, have at least one tasting room.

As you've discovered, many of the Burgundian producers don't welcome visitors without advance reservations if at all. Quite a few domaines are small and just aren't equipped to handle visitors (especially non-French-speaking), even with prior notice. But you could try writing to a few and see whether you get a positive response.

Good luck! Burgundian wines are wonderful, and even if you only get to taste them in shops (Beaune has two large tasting shops) you will enjoy the experience.

And don't forget, most restaurants will have a good selection of Burgundian wines on their cartes.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 11:27 PM

When I lived in Germany I would make an expedition to Burgundy every six months or so and fill the trunk of the car with up to 100 liters. I went to stores which had <i>d&eacute;gustation</i> signs hanging out in front. Drive the N74 between Dijon and Beaune, and a few miles further south. You'll see plenty of these stores where you can sample and buy especially in Nuits St.-Georges and Beaune.

As cocofromdijon says, Nuits St.-Georges is a good place to stay. Or take one of the cheap motels on the south side of Dijon. You'll need a car whatever you do.

As for looking at vineyards, I drove up around Pommard and Volnay and watched the vines grow. It was a nice view over the valley, but the vines are rather dull. I prefer the stuff after it gets into the bottle.

As you know, pinot noir is the best grape for reds and chardonnay the best for whites in Burgundy. Let me recommend that you try passetoutgrains, a blend of pinot noir and gamay. I can't tolerate chardonnay but I do like aligot&eacute;, another white from Burgundy. You will have a hard time finding either in the USA.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

54lucy, we are staying at Le Cep. Many thanks to all of you who offered suggestions. This has been very helpful and I will be following up on them. Look forward to giving everyone a report on our return.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 07:39 AM

We loved Le Cep. It was very charming. If it's still there and you're in the mood, there's a great pizza place just across the street! Have a wonderful trip...
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

54lucy, you are making me hungry already. A pizza and some pinot, who could ask for more?
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 11:50 AM

Since we're going to Burgundy this weekend, I'll ask our cavist in La Charite sur Loire if he knows an &quot;address&quot; in Le Cep -- a long shot, but you never know.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 12:06 PM

Ah, Dave, the Nivernais. Love that area.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

underhill, your leads look wonderful. I found the websites for Savigny-Les-Beaune and Chateau Meursalt. Dave, I'm sure we are all jealous of your coming weekend in Burgundy and your offer of asking for an &quot;address&quot; is appreciated. You made me curious about the area you are visiting so I am going to look it up on Michelin. Have a great weekend!
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 01:12 PM

We stayed at Le Cep in October and the hotel recommended a tasting at Olivire LeFlaive in Puligny Montrachet. They offered a lunch, which was very good, and 15 tasting 15 wines for 47 Euros per person.
Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 01:12 PM

Try this link:

http://www.burgundy-tourism.com/vin/index.htm
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 01:13 PM

that's Olivier, not Olivire. I should learn to proof.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 01:19 PM

Eating pizza in Burgundy?! 54lucy, surely you jest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -