Crete Restaurant Recommendations

Old May 14th, 2005, 11:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crete Restaurant Recommendations

Hi,

Looking for inexpensive, good restaurants in Chania. Anyone have any suggestions? All imput greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old May 15th, 2005, 09:52 AM

i haven't been since 1998 but we spent a week there then. there are three restaurants that stand out in my mind --

we ate at the Karavagio (sp??) which is right on the harbor almost across from the lighthouse. we were taken there by our greek tour guide, who was a student at the local university. the food was cheap and since we ate there several times, and with a large group, they brought out free shots of raki (Crete's version of ouzo) and baklava. yum! =)

there's also a really neat restaurant that's inside the ruins of a venetian home. can't remember the name of it but it was across the street from a joint called the Fun Pub, which was, btw, a lot of fun. =) this is in the older district.

finally, another great spot is the Well of the Turk. again, can't remember where it is off the top of my head, but i'll go dig through my box of memories and post again later.
Old May 15th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks tkp42. I will look forward to getting more info form you if you can find it.

Anyone else have any suggestions? We'll be there for 6 days and it would be fun to try as many places as we can.
Old May 15th, 2005, 10:52 AM

Try Tamam, one of the restaurants in Chania in a building blown apart in the war. Excellent meal at €15 per head.

Ambrosia is fine. Not good value but they were very nice and took us along with the traditions. Food was good
There's a very good restaurant behind the Venetian Arsenals. Can't remember the name.

Old May 15th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Hi Shiela,

The restaurant behind the Venetiam Arsenals, is it fairly cheap?

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Sometimes I hate travelling on a budget but I guess it's better than not going at all!
Old May 15th, 2005, 02:12 PM
mjs

We also liked Taman for an inexpensive place to eat in Chania. Stay away from the harbor restaurants and you will tend to get better and cheaper food.