Search

Crete Greece

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crete Greece

Hi we are going to be based in Crete for 2 weeks in June and want to visit closest islands to Crete - what Ferrys to use , closest and best islands to visit?
Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:36 AM

Santorini is about 2.5 hours on the high speed boat from Heraklion, Crete. I think there is also regular slower ferry service between these two islands.

A few years ago, you could also reach Rhodes from Crete by taking a plane in Heraklion. Not sure if this service continues.

Neither of these would make a good day trip, since you'd spend so much time traveling back and forth.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:35 PM

Yes Sky Express a very small airline flys from Crete to Santorini, Mykonos and Rhodes. Just Google Sky Express.
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:59 PM

There are a couple of islands, which are, effectively adjuncts of Crete which you can visit by local ferry- Gavdos, Kithira and Koufonisios.

After that, the closest are the southern Dodacanese- Karpathos and Rhodes. Karpathos can be visited by ferry from Sitia.

What is your definition of "best"?
Old May 5th, 2009, 02:25 AM

There is plenty to see on Crete itself, but if you want a day (or overnight) trip, Santorini would be the best choice. Are you staying in one place on Crete, or moving around?

I'm not sure Gavdos or Koufonisi would be worth the effort, but never having been to either, couldn't say (at first I thought Sheila meant Koufonissia in the Cyclades, which I have been to). Kithera, unless there is another obscure island by that name, is off the Peloponnese coast, connected to Crete by infrequent ferries.
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:01 AM

j, Crete is 125 miles long ... it is a country in itself ... the West is VERY different from the east; some parts are full of ruins, some are mainly breathtaking scenery, if you go to a website created BY Cretes such as EXploreCrete, and click on their section about Beaches -- you will find a variety of beaches unrivalled in most small islands ... Just thank your lucky stars you hve 2 full weeks to explore the variety of Crete. Rent a little car and have the time of your life!
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone, thanks to ALL of you for your replys. I realise my requests was really broad.... You are right 2 weeks in CRETE is best to see Crete as it is huge and so much to offer. I was really thinking that a ferry trip to a really close island as a day trip would be great and by best I probably mean most to see views, short hike, ruins,(live in South Africa and do the beach thing at home). I still have a lot of questions but I will do some more research as there is so much to gleen from the internet..Will then ask more specific questions - thanks so much J
Old May 14th, 2009, 09:26 AM

J --- there IS no really close island. Karpathos maybe, ... 5 hours on slow ferry 1 x per week? after you take a loooong bus ride to Sitia. Santorini, as noted. Look closely at a map.
Old May 15th, 2009, 06:31 AM

There is an excursion boat trip to a small island with a Venetian fortress which you can book out of Chania. we missed that as there was a terrible rain storm the day we planned to go.

Crete is huge and you can spend a lot of time just exploring. On our trip we had two full weeks and we didn't get to everywhere we wanted to in Western Crete alone.
The cities of Rethmnon and Chania took up almost a week on their own.

Here are some pictures of Western Crete.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/559511069PIlVxI