Covid test for return to US

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that I've got the two day test squared away, I'm looking for the three day return test. People mention Boots, but on their website, the only test site is at Heathrow. Does anyone have any words of wisdom here? This testing business is expensive and a pain, but I guess I'm not supposed to be traveling anyway, according to the darn CDC.
Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 01:37 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We've ordered the BinaxNow proctored test for our upcoming trip:

https://www.fda.gov/media/144574/download

Bought it through eMed:

https://www.emed.com/

Last edited by Melnq8; Sep 3rd, 2021 at 01:39 PM.
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Melnq8. That is very confusing. Are there any sites for walk-in, where they do the test? Would it be the same ones listed for the 2nd day test?
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 08:27 AM

Do you need an antigen test to return to the US?

You can bring a self test kit with you from the US.'
Or you can go to Boots for their instore testing service and see if there is a store near to you where you can get it done

https://www.boots.com/covid-19-testi...d-test-service

Or Lloyds Pharmacy if there is a store near to you
https://lloydspharmacy.com/pages/cov...eral-flow-test

https://www.citydoc.org.uk/covid-19-...tigen-testing/

Old Sep 6th, 2021, 09:03 AM

I don't know what is available in the UK or what you're referring to as the second day test (I assume that's for entry into the UK?), but to return to the US, the BinaxNow COVID-19 Ag At-Home test is accepted. It's proctored, meaning you are observed via online video by a proctor while you self-administer the test from your hotel room (or wherever) results are sent to your phone. You then show your results when you check in for your return flight.

We purchased them for our upcoming trip to Switzerland because 1) tests run 180 chf per person in Switzerland and 2) we'll be in a small town that doesn't have a convenient testing site.

It's not complicated, you just need to order the tests (which requires some info on the travelers to register), have them delivered to you at home prior to your trip, take them with you on your trip (do not open the individual boxes!), download the NAVICA app for each traveler, make an appointment with the proctor within the widow required by the US (72 hours last time I checked), follow the instructions given by the proctor who witnesses you sticking the swab up your nose and then sends you the results.

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-...stkit-six-pack

Many travelers here and on Trip Advisor have posted about their experiences using the tests.
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 12:30 PM

Melnq8--You cannot make an appt for a proctor. You just log in and one comes on, but you can't make an appt ahead of time.
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by mms
Melnq8--You cannot make an appt for a proctor. You just log in and one comes on, but you can't make an appt ahead of time.
Good to know, that's even easier, thanks.

Am I correct in assuming the service is 24 hours? So, the time difference between the US and another country doesn't matter?

Last edited by Melnq8; Sep 6th, 2021 at 01:19 PM.
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 02:42 PM

Melnq8--Yes, 24 hours a day Makes it so easy!
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 04:02 PM

Excellent, thank you!
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 06:25 AM

Our kits arrived yesterday. When I placed the order, I was given a confirmation number and a note stating "when your kit arrives, return to eMed.com to activate your kit. You will be connected to an eMed Certified Guide to guide you through the testing processing. Opening your kit invalidates your results".

We don't plan to use the kits for several weeks. Am I still supposed to activate them now? Or just before we're ready to use them?
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 06:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Melnq8
Our kits arrived yesterday. When I placed the order, I was given a confirmation number and a note stating "when your kit arrives, return to eMed.com to activate your kit. You will be connected to an eMed Certified Guide to guide you through the testing processing. Opening your kit invalidates your results".

We don't plan to use the kits for several weeks. Am I still supposed to activate them now? Or just before we're ready to use them?
I have the same question.
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 06:52 AM

I just sent a note to eMed. Also asked them about the date on the seal which is 2020/11, which I suspect is the production date. Their site says they're good for a year, and since we plan to use them for both a trip back to the US in late October and December, I'm concerned about the date.

Will post back when I hear from them.
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 08:18 AM

Thank you Mel.
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Melnq8: LOL about what you say is easy. For us Luddites who are not fully invested in video chat apps, that is confusing.

When I try to schedule a test at the Boots closest to our hotel, they want me to download a picture of my passport. I'm not really comfortable with this and wonder if the test can be scheduled once we arrive. There will be six days leeway.

Is it possible to book it in person, once we have arrived in London?

Last edited by eastenderusvi; Sep 8th, 2021 at 08:42 AM.
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 08:50 AM

I think it's pretty straightforward and I'm not exactly a phone whiz. I never used video until this year when I tried Telehealth for a doctor's appointment. Like all things, it seems confusing until you do it and then you're amazed at how easy it is.
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 01:16 PM

You can try Lloyds Pharmacy, their antigen test costs about £50 and they have lots of locations in London, some inside supermarkets. I'm not sure what they ask for when you create a profile/make an appointment.

https://lloydspharmacy.com/pages/cov...eral-flow-test
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 05:22 AM

MelnQ8-Yiu don't activate them now. Only when you are actually going to use them, and don't open them until the proctor instructs you to. Right now, just store hem with your luggage and wait.
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 06:27 AM

Thank you mms.
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 08:19 AM

What about filling out the NAVICA form? Should we wait until we are going to actually do the test?
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 09:24 AM

Just booked an appointment at Lloyd's for antigen test for return trip to US. The info they ask for is name, DOB, phone number, email address. Very easy to do via their website. Not all of their locations do the testing, appointments are 20 minutes long, wait for results which are ready in 15 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -