Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Couple seek advice on self-catering accommodation in Provence

Jan 10th, 2010, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Hello. My husband and I (both in our early 40s) plan to spend a week in Provence in April and would like to consider self-catering accommodation in order to enjoy shopping at the markets and to keep a lid on the budget! We like what we have read about St Remy but are open to suggestions. We would prefer somewhere quiet (but not too far from amenities), so we aren't sure if an apartment block would be suitable. Our budget is up to around 800 euros for a week. I am looking at a lot of options online but would prefer personal recommendations if anyone out there has any. Thanks very much. Lisa and Grant
Jan 10th, 2010, 08:33 AM

I spent 2 weeks in the smaller of these two apartments in the beautiful town of Lourmarin. I thought the apartment was great. With 2 people, you might want to rent the larger apartment. It was nice to have the outside courtyard for eating meals. The owners live in the USA and were great to work with. Highly recommended.

http://www.rentourhomeinprovence.com/

Lourmarin was a wonderful base for exploring the region and the perfect town- many choices for eating, a great bakery, plenty of cafes, lots of character, easy parking and surrounded by lovely countryside. The Friday market is one of the best in the area- don't miss it!

Be sure to buy and take the Provence Byways guidebook. I cannot imagine visiting the region without it.

http://www.provencebyways.com/

One of the highlights of my trip was visiting the Cathedrale d'Images near Les Baux de Provence.

http://www.cathedrale-images.com/uk/accueil.htm

Enjoy your trip!
Jan 10th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much zoecat, we'll definitely look into those options.
Jan 10th, 2010, 08:46 AM

Also stayed in Lourmarin at the smaller apartment that zoecat mentioned. I would probably stay in larger apartment next time, but we loved the apt. and the town. Market on Friday in Lourmarin was wonderful. We rented a car and explored all over the region. The owners were very helpful and great to deal with.
Jan 10th, 2010, 08:46 AM

this is fortuitous - I just started a new thread about a possible trip to Provence in June/july 2010.

thanks for the tips, zoecat. I have e-mailed the owner of the house you recommend.

regards, ann
Jan 10th, 2010, 08:48 AM

Try this site: www.gites-de-france.com. Lots of ways to search.
Jan 10th, 2010, 09:02 AM

I like Lourmarin and stayed there for a week last summer in an apartment. The Friday market is one of my favorites and we have attended it on many occasions. That being said, I would not recommend staying there if you want to explore Provence for the first time--I think St. Remy area is better suited. You have better and closer options to see the highlights all of which will require a car.

I second the suggestion of the Provence Byways book--a very valuable resource. Our stays in the St Remy/Eygalieres area have included a large Mas for 12 and a very small farm apartment as well as inexpensive hotels. All have been great--have fun. Paul
Jan 10th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. This is all such a big help with the research. The trip is a celebration for our 10th wedding anniversary so I want it to be special. Thanks again for the advice.
Jan 10th, 2010, 10:48 PM

Hi there,
We are also going to Provence in April -from 17th to 24th = we have booked at the following place in Rognonas which is just south of Avignon heading towards St Remy.

http://www.massaintantoine.com

Marie
Jan 10th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Original Poster

Hi art_deco_kiwi, it looks like a great find. Thanks very much. Lisa
Jan 11th, 2010, 10:41 AM

In the smaller, but neighboring village of Cucuron (near Lourmarin) there is this little vilage house that I think looks intriquing:

http://www.provence-holiday.co.uk/

I'm going with a group of 5 in Mid-May. We're staying in Cucuron at http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p226298

I am hoping to post a positive review of the second house when we return.
Jan 11th, 2010, 02:14 PM

Hi there - I can't give unbiased advice about accommodation as the first house that sbrian mentions has been in our family since the 70's.

I would say that in the Luberon area you can choose the sort of holiday that you feel like - action packed sightseeing with lots of driving to the Camargue, Avignon, Aix, St Remy, Marseille, Cassis and Nice etc or relaxing, strolling around nearby villages and tasting local wine. Perhaps a bit of both is best!

If you are planning driving itineraries www.viamichelin.com is very handy for estimating times and displaying the sights and scenic routes.
Jan 12th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks mbone, I'm getting some really useful information here and am very grateful. Thank you all.