Couple days in Ireland

Search

Couple days in Ireland

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple days in Ireland

I'm going to Belfast, N. Ireland for business in June. My wife will join me and we'll have three days on our own before flying home from Dublin. Looking for ideas on what we can do in those short, three days. Should we use Dublin as our base and day trip? Should we take the train from Belfast somewhere besides Dublin and stay in a different place each night? Need help. Also, is there anything interesting to do in Belfast?
Old May 21st, 2005, 12:21 AM

Hi jd,

Belfast has undegone quite a makeover in the past few years and I think it is a great place (but I live here)and it's cheaper than Dublin.

When you ask about interesting things to do what do you like to do?

If you stay in Belfast I would visit the North Antrim Coast and or the Kingdom of Mourne. Both are very very scenic and you will find lots of wondergul walks.

If you stay in Dublin there is Glendalough, Powerscourt and south Dublin towns.

Depends on what interests you

Old May 21st, 2005, 05:16 AM

Belfast is a great city. Depending on whether or not you want to stay in a city or not is another question. Personally if I were going back again I would recommend flying into Belfast....staying in a town 15-20 minutes out of the City called Killyleagh which is a beautiful little town with everything you would want. The pubs are great and if you will be there on a Saturday make sure and catch the traditional music at the Dufferin Arms Pub. Killyleagh castle sits at the top of the street in Killyleagh making it one of the most picturesque towns we saw on our trip.
Day trips from(or to) Belfast are numerous as well....I would recommend a drive up the Anterim coast as well. A trip into Belfast for the day would be nice as well. You could take in the Ulster Tranport Museum and take a black taxi tour of the troubled areas with their colorful murals. NI is really overshadowed by the ring of Kerry but has so much to offer. Have a great trip!
Old May 21st, 2005, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Our interests are beautiful countryside, castle tours and history. We also enjoy being in cities, walking and seeing sights and hitting a few pubs.
Old May 21st, 2005, 11:06 AM

Hi jd,

I would spend the 1st day in Belast. Take the open top bus tour, do the Titanic tour at the old Shipyard and if you have time either take a bus to Hillsborough which is a beautiful Georgian Village south of Belfast and home to the Secretary of State in the Castle there (not oprn to the public) Ther are 2 super pubs/restaurants and the church is definatly worth a visit. Another option would be the Ulster Folk Museum at Cultra and you can take a train from Belfast to there,

Day 2 I would take the bus to the Giants Causeway on the North Coast. Make sure it one that goes the Coast road through the Glen of Antrim Villages. Also stop off in Bushmills and visit the whiskey museum there.

Day 3 I would go early to Dublin (train journey in the morning is only 1.5 hours) and visit as many of the sights you can there, Trinity, St Stephens Green etc.

Best pub in Belfast is the Crown opposoit the Europa.

Hope this helps
Old May 23rd, 2005, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Do I need to pre-purchase train tickets R/T Dublin-Belfast-Dublin? Or can I walk up and buy. This will be June 21. High season. Any thoughts?
Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:00 PM

cambe, I have visited Hillsborough Castle so it is open to the public. See the following for times, hours and admission prices: http://www.nio.gov.uk/media-detail.htm?newsID=11317 It is well worth a tour and the grounds are lovely.
Old May 24th, 2005, 08:21 AM

Thanks Irish Eyes, that's good to know, must pay it a visit (love Hillsborough).

Jd, you won't need to book tickets. Unless there is a match in Dublin when you are going the train is unlikely to be full. It leaves from Gt Victoria street sation which is behind the Europa hotel
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 11:50 PM
JFlorides

You might consider spending a night in Carlingford, a lovely lakeside town more or less half way between Dublin and Belfast. Well recommended for nice places to stay, good food, lovely countryside, traditional pubs, quaint village and a ruined abbey. Only problem is you would be dependent on the bus (or driving) as the train does not go through Carlingford as far as I know. If you want to spend a night somewhere that is not city based, I would recommend Carlingford.