Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2-3 days in Ireland - Belfast and/or Dublin?

Old May 18th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I will be attending the tatto in Edinburgh and then would like to spend 2-3 days in Ireland. I have been reading a lot about Belfast as I was originally going to fly into there from US but now not doing so. Is it best to just stay in and around Belfast for 2-3 days? Or 2 days in Belfast and one in Dublin? I have thought about staying at TaraLodge which has great reviews and prices seem okay. It is outside of city center but not far from bars and restaurants. I will not be driving so will be relying on public transportation. I have heard about the black taxi tour - does anyone have a link for this? Told Giant's Causeway is worth a visit. So anyway what I am asking for is advice on things to do in Belfast and perhaps Dublin but likely will just visit Belfast.. Thank you.
Old May 24th, 2010, 02:59 PM

Dublin is a much finer city with a wealth of history and old buildings. Belfast was very much an industrial city with eg a massive shipyard until 1950s but they are largely gone and the city depends very much on income from the London government.The trip along the coast north of Belfast-The Antrim Coast Road-is excellent,as you have the sea beside you for most of the journey.
Old May 25th, 2010, 11:43 PM

My preference is Belfast. North Belfast has the Queens Uni area. West Belfast/Shankill - Do the Black Taxi tour. North Belfast - the Cathedral Quarter has tons of history. Always good music happening up there and the prices are good.
Old May 27th, 2010, 03:19 PM

We spent an excellent 2 days in Northern Ireland last April. The first day was spent in Belfast. We spent some time in the Botanical Gardens and walking around Queens University before having lunch at the Crown Bar. The lunch was tasty and very reasonably priced. (Even if you can't get there for lunch, stop in to take a look at this restoration of a Victorian saloon.) After lunch, we did a hop on/hop off bus tour of the city with City Sightseeing. We picked up a bus right in the city center and the tour cost around 12 pounds. Sitting on the upper level of the open top bus, we had a great view and I got some great photos, particularly of the murals on Shankill Road and Falls Road. I also liked the fact that we got a totally non-partisan narration from the entertaining tour guide on the bus.
We had a car, so on the next day we did a self-drive tour of the Antrim Coast to Carrick-a-rede Bridge and the Giant's Causeway. But there are several companies which offer day tours and you could book one of those. My daughter did one of these day tours prior to our visit to Belfast and she thought it was a good tour for a good price.
Old May 30th, 2010, 04:55 PM

Belfast and Dublin are both great cities. It sounds like you are leaning toward Belfast. If you are at all interested in that part of Irish history I would take a black taxi tour. You should be able to find one on-line. I have booked one on several occasions from the Europa Hotel. The Crown is worth stopping to have a pint and if you can hook up a trip to Giants Causeway its a good way to spend a few hours. If you decide to head down to Dublin you won't be disappointed. Jury's Christ Church is a centrally located, reasonably price place to stay in Dublin. Check out Temple Bar, Grafton St., and St. Stephen's Green.