Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Could we walk to the Heathrow Holiday Inn Ariel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, this doesn't need to be answered until July, but I'm thinking ahead here.

I've seen some information about shuttle buses, free and otherwise, for various hotels around Heathrow.

This may seem like a silly question, but I haven't used Heathrow before. Is it possible to walk from Heathrow (we are taking Air Canada) to our hotel? I think the distance is supposed to be about 1.5 miles, and we might find that easier than getting on and off a bus. However, I seem to remember something about a tunnel being in the way perhaps.

Address:
118 Bath Road
Hayes, United Kingdom

(Looks like it's close to the Ibis at 112 Bath Road.)
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 12:04 PM

It might be theoretically possible and legal to walk through the tunnel that goes under the runways from Terminals 1-3 (which AC uses) to the real world.

But your chances of surviving the walk are even lower than the chances of your flight arriving on time. If the cabs don't get you, the carbon monoxide will, and the security people will probably close the place down anyway.

If you really want to walk, on arrival go to T2, take an Air France to Paris, connect to a BA into T4 at Heathrow. From T4, it's only a couple of miles to the HI.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

LOL, flanneruk.
We'll take a bus.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 04:20 PM
ira

Hi Will,

May I suggest you call the hotel and ask them if they provide shuttle service (almost everyone does) or how best to get there?
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Ira, in my reading I found there is a Hoppa bus that costs a few pounds, and there is also a free public transit bus.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 01:28 PM

Hi

the hotels are all (???) outside the perimeter fence.

It would not be sensible to walk.

Taxis generally wouldn't be happy to go such a short distance.

There are free buses to most of the hotels.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
http://tlp.netfirms.com

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 01:43 PM

Willtravel:

AC arrives at Terminal 3. When you leave the custom's hall, keep walking straight to the very back of the arrivals hall and you will see the signs for the Hotel Hoppas. Each bus visits about 3 hotels. There is a sign at the bus stop that will tell you which bus to take and there is also a sign on each bus. The buses come every 15-30 mins and cost GBP 3. You can buy a ticket in the office, there are also automatic ticket machines at the stop (you can use a credit card) and you can pay on the bus (they give change).

The only hotel that I know of that is attached to the terminals is the Hilton at T4, which is expensive.

regards ...Ger
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 01:49 PM

WillTravel, I've stayed at that Holiday Inn a few times. I think it was 5 pounds to take a taxi. It's not a good walk! Yes, you can take the Hoppa Bus, bur for 2 pounds is it worth it?

I've had an early departure each time and the hotel has always had someone take me to the airport, no charge (of course I tipped him).
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 02:25 PM

The first time I wanted to get to HI Ariel, the airport people told me there was not free shuttle but only Hotel Hoppa for 3 pounds each way. So I took that.

The second time I got to LHR past 12am and didn't think that Hotel Hoppa worked that late. An airport worker getting off work told me to just go to the bus station in T2 and take one of the few buses that all stop near HI Ariel. And it's FREE. I believe the bus stop near HI Ariel is called Harlington Cross.

Getting to HI Ariel from the bus stop is 5 minutes walk tops. Getting from HI Ariel to LHR is even easier - the bus stop is right outside across the street. And I found that the free bus got to LHR was even faster than the Hotel Hoppa - only took 4 minutes, whereas the Hotel Hoppa stopped at two hotels first, waited a few minutes each time, and then headed to LHR.

I just had to post this because I didn't want anyone else unnecessary paying 6 pounds for Hotel Hoppa when they don't need to!
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 02:51 PM

So right about the taxi drivers not wanting to go a short (to them) distance. We had an awful time late one night after coming back from dinner in London; the only way we could get a taxi was by hitching a ride with someone taking a cab to London.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. Every few pounds we save will be very helpful.