Heathrow & London transport Q's

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be arriving at London Heathrow at 10:30 PM on a Sunday night. We have reservations at the Park Inn Heathrow. I understand that a city bus runs from Heathrow to a spot very near that hotel, and is free, unlike the Hoppa Bus.

Can someone tell me what time that bus service ends? Will we be arriving too late to use the city bus? If we are too late, will the Hoppa Bus still be running? And is that a better idea than a taxi for 2 people with a moderate amount of luggage (probably 1 bag plus 1 carryon each)?

We'll be in London only till the following Tuesday. This is a stopover on our way to Africa. We plan to spend all day Monday in London, and go to the theatre in the evening. Can someone tell me if the tube will be running from central London to Heathrow at the time of night we'll be getting out of the theatre?

And is a 1-day travelcard our best option for getting around? From looking at the London Transport web site I think it is, but I confess to being slightly befuddled by that web site's organizational scheme.

Thank you all for any help and information.

Celia
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 08:05 AM

Celia...

I can help you with the second part of your question easily enough...

The tube back to Heathrow will indeed be running when the theatre lets out at about 2230....and yes your best best in the one day zone 1-6 travelcard...do remember it is somewhat cheaper to buy the off peak one which is good only after 0930 on weekdays (have a late breakfast) but once you've bought the card, you're set for the rest of the day on the tube, the buses and whatever...you can even tube back to the hotel and change if you consider it important to dress up for the theatre...

As for getting from the airport to the hotel, I am not familiar with that.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 08:35 AM

According to the Journey Planner at the Transport for London site, bus #285 is one of several you could take to get from Heathrow to a point close to your hotel (and would be free). The timetables for that route show it to offer 24-hour service. I didn't check on the other routes.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 08:50 AM

Free buses that run 24 schedules from Heathrow Central Bus Station to the Park Inn are the 285,105 and there is a night bus that starts up about midnight route N9.
You can also get the 555 and 111 but they don't run 24 hours.

The bus will on leaving the bus station go through a tunnel under the runway. On the other side it comes up by the Fire Station and then turns right in front of the Holiday Inn.
Press the bell on the bus when it crosses over the motorway next to the Holiday Inn, you will see the Park Inn on your left. Its about a 150m walk to the check-in desk.

If you land at Terminal 4 you will need to get the Heathrow Express train (free) to the central area where the bus station is.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all, for this helpful information!

Celia
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 12:35 PM

I just rode bus 285 and it wasn't free - maybe because i wasn't going to a hotel? Heathrow tube service ends at Hatton Cross where, due to construction to serve Heathrow's new terminal 5 the tube currently terminates with replacement buses going the rest of the way and these probably pass by your hotel making the situationa good one for you.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 02:10 PM

The bus is free within a certain perimeter, or at least it was in 2005. I don't know the exact limits, but this perimeter includes the hotels on Bath Road, but doesn't extend to Hatton Cross. You can buy your transit pass at Heathrow Airport if you are going to use it later anyway.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 12:08 AM

All public buses (not Hoppa Buses) are free around the airport perimeter roads only. At least they were at the weekend when I last used them.

This includes the 285 bus between the bus station and Hatton Cross.
(The Jurys Inn Hotel at Hatton Cross makes a big thing of this on their promotional material)

The Ibis, and Ariel on the Bath Road are one stop too far on the northern perimeter road (Bath Road) to get free travel, but if you get off the stop before you're OK.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 12:14 AM

handfordr, I stayed at the Ariel, and I always got off the bus just before it turned.

Back to Celia's question, the last time I did this, I arrived at Heathrow past midnight, and I still found a bus to take me. There are about four that will work. I don't recall the numbers, but just ask the driver if they go along Bath Road. You can also use the Journey Planner at http://www.thetube.com to plan your journey to the Park Inn Heathrow from the airport (it will tell you exactly what bus numbers and what times).
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 12:44 AM

The following bus map is produced by the BAA who actually provide the subsidies for the free buses.

Shows location of hotels as well as bus routes, if the route is coloured not grey its free.

http://www.heathrowairport.com/asset...ers_map_05.pdf
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Ooh, thanks for all this good info!

Celia