Search

Cotswolds

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cotswolds

Where would you stay??? We're planning on visiting the Cotswolds in late April 2008...we'll take the train to Moreton in Marsh but can't decide where to stay that night. Any suggestions for your favorite place either in Moreton in the Marsh, Chipping Campden, or Stow on the Wold. Were planning on spending the night in one of these places and then having a driver take us around the next day to see other places near by. Thank you for your suggestions.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 12:20 PM

There are two kinds of places to overnight:

- the towns. Chipping Campden, Burford, Northleach, Stow, Moreton, Winchcombe. Mainly set up by charter in the 13th century, these are real towns, with a proud history (generally of aggressive independence from the local toffs), enough pubs and just about enough restaurants to stop you from going stir crazy, and a few things to see.
- the villages and hamlets. Places like Broadway, Bourton on the Water, the Slaughters. Prettyish, bugger all to do or see except look at the midday crowds of gawpers and historically limited. Some might accuse me of bias, but they're wrong.

If you've organised yourself to train to Moreton (and avoid the trains leaving Paddington at 1720, 1750 and 1850 unless you love fighting for a seat. I've still got the bruises from this evening's punchup) the answer's a complete no-brainer: Chipping Campden.

Don't eat at the Greek place there though, where the food's reminscent of bad Cypriot places in North London in the mis-60s, with prices thsat imply they're Michelin aspirants.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 01:17 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
flanner has given you more info than I ever could - I mainly agree w/ him. Stay in Chipping Campden, or perhaps Burford.

Both have enough to keep you interested for the first day, a variety of accomodations, and several pubs/restaurants/shops.

I'd slightly lean toward Burford because its church is one of the very best "wool churches". But Chipping Campden is nice too and a bit closer to Moreton in Marsh.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information about the differences. I think we've decided on Chipping Campden. Do you have any recommendations for places to stay? We'd like something with some character, not modern or way over the top cutsy. We'll need 2 rooms and would like to stay around 100 pounds each if possible. Any personal experiences or suggestions welcomed. Also any good restaurants you'd recommend for dinner that night?

Thanks again...
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 08:07 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
here are three good but entirely different properties - an inn on the high street and 2 B&Bs on the edge of or just out of town.

http://www.noelarmshotel.com/
http://www.bramleyhouse.co.uk/
http://www.poppybank.co.uk/
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 09:23 PM

I can second the Bramley House recommendation -- the place is absolutely charming, and the proprietors equally so!