Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cotswold - great food & ambience for lunch!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2017, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two couples from Texas -- we are looking for restaurant suggestions in the Cotswolds. We are open on which villages but will probably be visiting the popular -- Castle Combe, Bourton-on-the-Water, Bibury, Stow-on-the Wold, Buford. Price is not the issue -- however, excellent food with ambience and views are. We will be there in May. We love wines, pubs and local flair.

Have done some research and some of the restaurants that keep coming up are The Hive, The Old Butchers, The Wild Rabbit, etc.

Would love your opinion on which restaurants in the Cotswolds come closest to meeting what we are looking for.

Thanks!
Old Dec 16th, 2017, 12:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The towns you list are quite far from each other. But -- While the Wild Rabbit is quite good, IMO it isn'r even the best place in its village (Kingham). If I was going to be that fare east - I'd choose the Kingham Plough instead.

Very few restaurants in the Cotswolds have 'views' since they are mostly in the center of villages or towns.
Old Dec 17th, 2017, 01:08 AM

We had a lovely lunch at this inn near Burford

https://www.theswanswinbrook.co.uk
Old Dec 17th, 2017, 06:10 AM

I’ve been to the Wild Rabbit. Very nice place...agree with Janice that the Ploug is even better and it put Kingham on the map so to speak.

Just returned from the Country Inn at Lower Slaughter. Had a nice steak and chips lunch there.

Last year tried the Chequers in Churchill village - also a nice pub. The Cotswolds are littered with them! Check out the Lucky Onion group for more too.
Old Dec 17th, 2017, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for suggestions. My research will keep me off the streets. We wil be in London the week of the wedding so think it would be wise to nail down some plans and reservations.
Old Dec 18th, 2017, 01:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A little way away but might be interesting https://www.whitehart-fyfield.com/
Old Dec 18th, 2017, 11:12 AM

"excellent food with ambience and views are."

"Excellent" in or near the Cotswolds is a tall order. The area's got quite a lot of nice pubs, but they're forever changing hands and can never get enough staff. In practice, standards go up and down all the time practically everywhere

Pretty good most of the time is about the best you can hope for. The most consistent track record is indeed the Kingham Plough (with a long record of stable management by people good at inspiring staff loyalty), but the town's dull as ditchwater. It keeps on getting voted "best place in the world to live" and similar nonsense: mainly because the incomers have socially cleansed the place.

I thought the Wild Rabbit was better the other day: but all things being equal, I'd go to the Kingham Plough most of the time.

Views, though are an altogether nuther thing. Only one eatery really has one: the Feathered Nest at Nether Westcote - and for most of the year that view's accessible only at lunch, and is best if you eat outside (though on a cold or wet day, the view eating at the bar can be as good as the view from outside.

Its food's as good as anywhere else - but between May and late August, it's by far the nicest all-round place to eat if you're visiting.
Old Dec 18th, 2017, 12:15 PM

No restaurant suggestion, but we really liked Castle Coombe.