What's with Cornwall?

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 12:22 AM
Jim

What's with Cornwall?

We are looking for a place to stay for a week in June 2003, in a timeshare exchange. My friend keeps recommending Cornwall. We will hire a car. Would Cornwall be a good base? My wife and I (from Australia) are interested to learn as much about England, history, culture, & scenery as possible in a short time. We shall also have previously had a week in the Scottish highlands and Rutland county.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 01:19 AM
Dominic

Cornwall is certainly a beautiful part of the country and would make an excellent holiday destination if r&r are your main concerns.
But....
1) it's very popular with the British for precisely that reason so you may find it busy and (relatively) expensive, though June shouldn't be too bad; i.e. before the schools have broken up for summer hols.
2) it is quite isolated and a long way from the heart of the country. If you want to tour and visit numerous locations (London, Stratford, York, Chester, Lake District etc etc) it is far from ideal. If that's what you want from your holiday then maybe the Cotswolds or Chilterns might be better situated.... very central with lots of days out in every direction.
Give us an indication of your preferences and I'm sure you'll get plenty of good advice from this board.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 01:22 AM
Ann

Personally I would have said Cornwall would not be ideal as a base. It is pretty but you are a long way from everywhere else and the roads can become very congested.

My suggestion would be Hampshire, Dorset or Sussex. There is a great deal of history in these areas, attractive scenery, and communications are good to other parts. Depending on where you end up, you could have day trips into London. What other time shares are available?

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Buzzy

Little coves with fishing boats, breath-taking scenery, friendly people, quaint questhouses and inns and wonderful food. Don't leave without trying a vanilla cornish ice cream with a serving of clotted cream on the top.

Cornwall is a wonderful place to stay. If you stay there however, forget about visiting other places. There is enough in Cornwall from it's tip at Lands End right the way past buzzing Newquay up to the borders with Devon.

Cornwall has it's own distinct character which is not really typical of England as such but once you are there you will not care. Don't forget to try the delicious Cornish Pasty and sup at the many traditional Inns. You will find the real ales a delight.

I live in Essex and plan to retire to Cornwall. To me it is one of the most interesting areas in the country.

Places to look out for:

Looe
Polperro - Crumplehorn Inn - delicious food and ales- search for it on the web. Also Blue Peter Inn by the Harbour.
Mevagissey
Lands End - This is not as thrilling as it is portrayed but most people feel a need to visit.
Newquay - Large buzzing town famed for it's Fistral beach which is a surfers paradise. Not really like any other town in Cornwall.
The Eden Project near St. Austell - search the web to find out more.
Blisland. A small village in the centre of Bodmin Moor. Nothing much to it except The Blisland Inn which won best real ale pub a couple of years in a row. Excellent atmosphere. Unusual display containing a large Lizzard in the back room.It's probably on the web.

Padstow - Quaint harbour town. Look out for Rick Stein's restaurant in one of the streets off the harbour. He is a famous chef with his own TV series in England. His speciality is fish dishes using the catch form the harbour.
Marrazion-Small village. You can get the boat across to St. Michael,s Mount from here. St. Michael Mount is the English version of the French Mont St. Michel. It is a lovel Island. Once again you can probably search the web for more information on this.
Mousehole- Careful in the car here. This town is called Mousehole because it's streets are so narrow it's hard to get a car in. Best to park just outside the the village and walk in. It is stunningly beautiful and a very poignant place to visit. It was the scene of a disaster some years back when the crew of a lifeboat lost their lives at sea trying to rescue others. Many poeple lost loved ones that night and each Christmas the Lights in the village are turned off for 1 night as a mark of respect in their memory. It was known as the Penlee Lifeboat Disaster if you want to search any more information on the web.

As you can see there is a lot to do and I have only mentioned a few out of the many places. I do think if you chose Cornwall you will not get a typically English experience but I beleive you will take back some wonderful memories and will not regret a minute of it.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 08:02 AM
egg

I would avoid Lands End. The National Trust tried and failed to buy it although thank goodness they have bought many other parts of the coastline. It is a horribe tacky mess!
I wouldn't consider Cornwall a base though. If you want somewhere picturesque but not too touristy try Suffolk or Norfolk, delightful villages, wonderful churches and handy for London.
I'd avoid the Cotswolds unless you can visit very early or late. It's a lovely area spoilt by hoards of tourists.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 12:17 PM
janis

Sounds like you use time shares in the uK (The one on Rutland Water and many in Scotland are great.

Don't let the others scare you off - sure Cornwall is in the far SW and would not be convenient to other areas. But that is like saying don't go to Cairns because it is not convenient to Sydney. Of course it isn't but is worth going to on its own.

There are MANY timeshares in Cornwall and Devon and more things to see in the area than you could hope to see in a week. No, you won't be doing day trips to the Lake district or Stratford. But you will have a glorious time.

I might suggest you look into South Devon as well as Cornwall. Devon is a little more centrally located so you could tour around Cornwall, N and S Devon coasts, Dartmoor, Exeter, Dorset, Somerset, etc. I have rented cottages in Devon and Cornwall several times and prefer S Devon because you can get all over the area but with slightly fewer crowds.

June will not yet be high season so that is not a particular worry - and if you decide to stay with Cornwall it won't be a mistake - just that if you also consider Devon you will have more properties to choose from.