Reload this Page >

costs--France vs England

Search

costs--France vs England

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2002, 06:57 PM
julie

costs--France vs England

The past few years we have generally assumed that it is cheaper to travel places other than England because of the strength of the dollar against the euro. Is this still true?We spent 10 days in France this winter so are familiar with costs there. How do costs in England compare? Am mainly interested in comparing costs in the smaller towns and villages rather than in the large cities. We are budget travellers who enjoy getting off the beaten path and who do not need luxuries.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 08:01 PM
Isabella

London is quite expensive compared to other capital cities; however, once you go to the countryside prices drop considerable and are very comparable to what you experienced in France. We stayed in the Cotswolds & Thames Valley about 1 hour from London and found lovely inns around $150/night. Good luck.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 10:58 PM
Jan

As someone who lives in a smaller town in England and also visits France at least once a year I have to say I think France is generally a cheaper place to visit.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 04:02 AM
Joyce

Airfare to England from the USA is usually less expensive than to France.<BR><BR>Inside the countries, England is much more expensive than France. Hotels are much more expensive. So are train fares and just about everything else. Overall, it is much more expensive to visit England than to visit France.<BR><BR><BR>

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:29 AM
ttt

for julie who can't find this post

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:33 AM
tttTT

You gott tell them you're topping, and THEN top, or the topped post isn't on thop!

Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:46 AM
Wayne

It is true that prices of comparable goods and services are higher in England when compared properly; but I wouldn't say they are twice as high or even "much higher." Unless, that is, a price difference of about 10% to 20% constitutes "much higher" in your view. That's about what the difference usually is. The trouble is that it's extremely difficult to make a true comparison using all the relevant factors, so I'm sure there will be people who disagree with my conclusion.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:55 AM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>I'm a Brit living in France.<BR><BR>I buy some things in Uk because they are cheaper.<BR><BR>From a tourist angle, though, hotels, restaurants, fuel, fares etc are more expensive in UK.<BR><BR>So the answer is yes, UK remains significantly more expensive than most of Europe for tourists.<BR><BR> <BR>Peter<BR><BR>

Old May 23rd, 2002, 07:08 AM
Joyce

The differences in price are often much higher than just 10-20%. For example, I usually have to pay 50% more for a hotel in London than for an equivalent style hotel in Paris. Hotels in the countryside are less expensive, but still significantly more expensive than in French towns.<BR><BR>Long-distance train fares are outrageously expensive in England. Expect to pay much more than you would to travel equivalent distances anywhere else in Europe. <BR>