Costa Smeralda hotel availability?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been searching hotels in Porto Cervo for May 2008 to get an idea of pricing on various hotels but everything I look at says it's already booked up! Could it be that they just aren't booking online that far in advance yet or is it possible that everything is already booked up?
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 02:13 PM

I would be very very suprised if they were fuuly booked - this only ususally happens in August - May should be quite
- there may be a regatta.

What your price range ?
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

We are fairly open on price (we know its expensive), but something in the 4 star catagory though would be nice. Hopefully its just the online sites aren't posting prices for May 2008 yet.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 09:06 AM

Have you been before? the beaches within walking distance of Porto Cervo aren't the best - we usually stay on Cala Di Volpe. Hotel Cala Di Volpe has a stunning setting and is close to 5 of the best beaches in the Med (IMO).

Hotel Porto Cervo has had mixed reviews from the people I know, who have stayed. There again that is the lottery of Italian hotels - even e500 plus a night doesn't secure a great experience.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

No, we haven't been before so we are unfamiliar with the location of the beaches and hotels. We like nice accomodations but a location with a lot of fun activity is also important as well so any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 11:50 AM

We haven't been to Sardinia in May - we always (4 times) go in September to avoid the madness of August. We love the island.

In some ways it is a strange place. The Costa Smeralda is stunning. However, the whole short area of coast is owned by one US company and as such is a little unreal. It is (as you probably know) very high end. Porto Cervo exhibits every fashion house outlet I can think name and is very well manicured.

However, out of season (and generally) August is the season) - the coast can seem a little as if you turned up to a party on the wrong day. There is also very little local culture or indeed traditional tourist sites to visit. Having said this - you still have very good restaurants and as I said before some of the best beaches in Europe. If you want high end look no further.

Further up the coast near Santa Teresa, there are still stunning beaches but also more local activity.
Friends have stayed at Hotel Capo D'Orso and loved it.

A very different experience would be to holiday to the south - both the Forte Village and Chia Meridian are good 4 star options - the landscape is slightly less stunning but there are far more to attractions as tourist - Cagliari has great restaurant - it is a medium sized city and there is plenty to see.

We always rent villas because we can't survive without summer evenings by our own pool and a long meal. However, we have visited all the hotels I have mentioned and all were of a good standard. I am not sure if you have stayed in Italian high end hotels before but I would warn you again - you can be disappointed - they can be very patchy - my parents stayed at a 5 star in Baia Sardinia and came close to checking out - they paid £2500 for a week and are used the West Indies/US 5 star.

In summary, I'd say it would be difficult to come back from the island not feeling is if you are totally refreshed and wondering why the place hasn't been swamped by British tourists in the way other Med islands have - go and enjoy!