Search

Costa Brava considerations - Begur vs. Lloret de mar

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Brava considerations - Begur vs. Lloret de mar

Hello Fodorites,

We are planning an extended family trip (10 people ranging from 6 to 80 yrs) to Spain.

We are planning 4 nights Barcelona, 5 nights Costa Brava, 5 nights San Sebastian, 1 night Bilbao & fly home. The trip will be in mid-August, which I realize is not ideal timing -- c'est la vie. We plan to rent villas or big apartments using VRBO, airbnb etc.

Within Costa Brava I am trying to evaluate between staying in Lloret de mar vs. Begur. We are active and prefer small, charming villages to skyrise buildings etc. We enjoy some beach/boat activities but also hiking, exploring towns etc. I was personally attracted to the Begur region b/c it seemed that the grandparents (less beach-oriented) would enjoy walking around the town of Begur and I liked the numerous coves/caves & quaint fishing villages. It sounds as though the Lloret de mar area has wider, more sandy beaches (?) -- but frankly I know less about that region. Is it equally as quaint?

Interested in hearing your feedback. Another family member found a villa in Lloret de mar that they really like --- trying to decide if we should grab it vs. keep searching for something in the Begur area.

Any tips for finding villas would also be appreciated.

Thanks, in advance!
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 12:27 PM

I would not hesitate a minute: Begur ! Lloret is a zooo in season. Lots of cheap hotels with cheap all-you can-eat buffets, bars, drunkards and night-clubs. The main beach is rather narrow. Fanal beach is nicer but crowded.
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 01:53 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Loved Begur too.
Old Feb 13th, 2017, 09:43 AM

LOVED Begur!!!!