Stay in a castle in England

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2017, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first post to the Fodor’s message boards. I have read them but never posted.
My girlfriend and I will be visiting a friend of hers in Glascow Scotland in late April.
I would like to rent a car and drive to London and leave from there. My girlfriend would like to stay overnight in a castle on the trip.
Can anyone give a recommendation?
I have looked at Dalston Hall Hotel, Peckforton Castle and Warwick Castle.
I would like to limit the trip from Glascow to London to 3 days, maybe 2 so we have more time in London. Would that be possible?
Old Feb 13th, 2017, 05:28 AM

I stayed here many years ago.

http://www.langleycastle.com/
Old Feb 13th, 2017, 06:53 AM

Its Glas<b>g</b>ow (pronounced GLAZ-GO) not "Glascow".

I went to a wedding at Peckforton Castle some years ago (not the one where the wedding guest burned it down I hasten to add). It certainly looks the part and is not far off the M6 motorway route from Glasgow to London.

Warwick Castle is a big tourist trap IMHO, more like Disneyland than a "real" castle. Looking at their website, the accommodation IN the castle comes in at a scarily expensive £550+ per night.

The drive from Glasgow to London takes minimum 1 VERY long day (for a local not interested in sightseeing), two days better. Minimum 2 days for a tourist (with virtually no time to see anything en route), but if you only have 2 or 3 days to do the journey, why take this mode of transport at all when you could take the train or fly?
Old Feb 13th, 2017, 08:26 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Tell us your full itinerary . . . Including how long you plan for Glasgow and London. Because 2 days between Glasgow and London makes no sense and even 3 days would be quick if you wanted to see anything.

What is your budget for the castle stay?
Old Feb 13th, 2017, 09:04 AM

We will be in Glasgow for 3 days, I am basically tagging along with my girlfriend as she visits some friends from collage. We have planned 4 days in London (she has some people to visit there regarding business). I thought driving would be a fun way to go (never drove on the other side of the road, would like to try it) and then she said she wanted to stay in an English castle along the way. It seems we will be making more trips to England in the future, but I thought driving and staying at a Castle would be fun this time.
Budget around $200
Old Feb 13th, 2017, 09:30 AM

OK - Bindery, have you changed screen names? (The advice we've given on your other threads is still valid, no matter which name you are using)

$200 is a pretty low budget for an actual castle stay. There are some pretty fancy B&B's in manor house-type properties you could get for close to that.
Old Feb 13th, 2017, 09:47 AM

Sorry, not sure what you mean by changing screen name, I have been reading the message boards for a long time, but today is the first time I posted.
How much would a castle stay be? If its for my girl friend I can spend more.
Old Feb 13th, 2017, 10:02 AM

Liar liar pants on fire

But I'll let you figure it out for yourself.