cortona or orvieto

Old Sep 28th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cortona or orvieto

So I have time for a stop from Florence to rome for the night.....anyone want to help me break the tie between these two spots they both sound fabulous. Any input is appreciated.
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 01:36 PM

How are you traveling? By train or by car? Orvieto is easier if traveling by train, if that influences your choice.
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 01:39 PM

Tough choice. ellenem has a good point. I wouldn't do the stop at Cortona by train. We couldn't get a taxi and the next bus was going to be about an hour so he walked up -- over an hour hike up! Orvieto, on the other hand is simple.

Of the two I probably like Orvieto better as a town -- more to see. But since you're just talking about an overnight stop, I'd opt for Cortona. I think I'd like the evening atmosphere better somehow. But you can't go wrong with either choice.
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 01:40 PM

duh. Make that "the next bus was going to be about TWO hours. . ."
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 09:56 AM

Definitely Orvieto. We stayed in Orvieto for 3 nights and Cortona for 2 last fall. Cortona is very very small with not that much to do except go to dinner and go to a very small (but worth it) art museum. There weren't that many people out and about and the shops we thought were overpriced and small in number.

Orvieto on the other hand is small and very charming but large enough that you won't get bored. There are good restaurants (we used Rick Steves as our guidebook), more cute streets to stroll, and more people for people watching. The Doma is very impressive for a town this size. Plus, it's an easy easy 1hr 20 minute train ride from Rome.
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 10:11 AM

Cortona is nice, and is closer to Florence.
Orvieto makes for a very nice stop on the way to Rome.
I'd go with Orvieto.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 04:57 PM

we went to Orvieto and Cortona in September for a day stop only. We did not stay overnight. I would definately vote for Orvieto. It is a very pretty town. There were many nice looking restaurants, good little shops and it seems like quite a bit to do It would be beautiful for strolling in the evening. I thought it had a lovely atmosphere. I would have liked to stay the night.
Cortona is an interesting place but I had no urge to linger.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 06:35 AM

I have not visited Cortona, but we stayed 3 nights in Orvieto. In addition to being a beautiful town with lovely streets for strolling, there is much to see!

The Duomo is awesome, the cave tour facinating. There are also the Estrucan tombs just below the town and the famous well with over 400 steps down. The restaurants are excellent as is the local wine. Great shopping and lots of resident artists. I was particularly struck with the combination of ancient and modern. Fancy kitchen shops and internet cafes inside ancient buildings, etc.

If you are traveling by car, you could include a short side trip to Civita di Bagnoreggio. Very unique.

Buon viaggio!