Orvieto or Cortona ??

Search

Orvieto or Cortona ??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Orvieto or Cortona ??

I am trying to decide where to spend two days in between segments of my vacation in Italy this July and have narrowed it down to either Orvieto or Cortona, but they both sound fabulous and both have equally easy train connections for me. I will be traveling alone, love history, art, and architecture, may do some painting, and just generally relax and enjoy Italy. I'm wondering if any of you who may have been to both cities may able to weigh in with some ideas that may help me decide. There are certainly worse decisions to have to make than which beautiful Italian hill town to visit, but it would be nice to hear from someone with personal knowledge of the issue.

Thanks
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 08:38 AM

I've been to both and felt Orvieto had more to offer. We spent two days in Orvieto and only an afternoon in Cortona and the time felt about right. Not that I didn't like Cortona, but I like Orvieto quite a bit more. I have photos of both at this site: http://www.pbase.com/annforcier/ital...a&page=all
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 09:13 AM

We've spent about 5 days in Orvieto & 3 in Cortona. Perfer Orvieto - a little larger & more intersting.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 09:30 AM

Haven't been to Cortona but really liked Orvieto. It sits on cliffs rather than a hill and has underground tunnels that date back to the Etruscans. It also has a large cathedral that was build to honor the Corpus Christi miracle there.

We picked Orvieto mostly because it was convenient to Rome but were very pleasantly surprised.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 09:38 AM

Cortona is more awesome from afar - really perched way up there on a ridge

Orvieto on an old volcanic pile and i agree more fascinating things like its under world and large historic core

If going by train Orvieto is a lot easier to reach - funicular from the station

Cortona is best reached by bus from Arezzo - the Cortona-Terontola station has a paucity of buses up to it even though it's closer - about 3 miles down in the valley

Both are spectular so can't go wrong IMO
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 09:43 AM

If you are alone, going by train, I think you would enjoy more Orvietto. More touristic, may be, but on the whole
you will enjoy it more.
In Cortona I feel you need a car to visit nearby fascinating places like the Monasteryof the Franciscan Fiars ( forgot the official name) etc. so I would agree with the mayority take the train to Orvietto and have fun.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 10:59 AM

H,

I like both, but would also recommend Orvieto. If you are a painter, you might like to take a bus to Civita di Bagnoreggio and paint there! Fabulous views and scenery for painting and photography! I believe Rick Steves gives bus instructions in his Italy book. We drove and it was about 20 minutes from Orvieto.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 11:08 AM

Without a car the answer is Orvieto.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Exactly the kind of input I was hoping for. Thanks so much to all of you who responded. I think it's pretty clear that Orvieto is goig to be better for me this time

Thanks!
Betsy
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 07:22 PM

Definitely go on the underground cave tour which is fabulous and very interesting. I believe the English tour is around noon each day but double check at the tourist office. Be aware that they honor the siesta time there so everything will shut between 2-4pm.Have fun!