Cornwall including Port Isaac

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2015, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As part of 10 days in England, group of six (ages 57-60) would love suggestions for 4 days in Cornwall that include Port Isaac (just to walk through, don't need to stay there - Big Doc Martin fans).
Should we be looking at 2 hotels for two nights each? Will have cars. The trip is in October 2015.
Thanks so much!
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 08:32 AM

remember, grimacing Doc Martin is on the golfcourse every Wednesday just like docs everywhere.
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 09:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi CDN,

i spotted that you were planning to visit us in Cornwall next year so dropped into your thread for a look, and then my heart sank. Only 4 nights, and planning to split that in two, with a party of 6? you are setting yourselves a very hard target!

I strongly suggest, first of all, that you decide to stay in one place; IME the time required to get people moving increases exponentially with the number of people involved, so trying to split yourselves like that will be asking for trouble and will waste a lot of time. Nowhere in Cornwall is THAT far from anywhere else, and there are plenty of nice places you could stay from which you can get to Port Issac in an hour or so - Padstow, St. Ives, even Penzance spring to mind, though that might be a bit far.

and away from the coast, Truro is very central [you could get the train there and pick up your cars when you arrived] and makes a terrific base for touring Cornwall. what sort of place would you like to stay in? town/village/coast?

BTW, where will you be coming from? and how are you getting here?
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 09:43 AM

if you can squeeze it in, a fun visit to Dartmoor National Park, just over the border into Devon, is where you can see the so-called "wild ponies"...(what do think Ann?)

Here are some very old (1980) pics of Land's End and the Dartmoor Park ponies. I suppose the little Morris Minor auto is a classic by now...but it got us around a goodly chunk of the UK and Ireland on our month's visit....the first of several to the region over the years.
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 09:52 AM

https://picasaweb.google.com/stuartt...kSWEngland1980
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 11:04 AM

lol, tower, my main memory of Dartmoor ponies is of my grandad being bitten by one while we were there on holiday, c. 1965. [it was probably a relative in the one in your pics!].

our favourite spot on the Moor which we can reach in about an hour from Redruth is Belstone, near Okehampton - an absolutely stunning spot with a great pub - the Tors. Lovely walking in the area too.

but if you want moorland scenery and ponies, you need only go as far as Bodmin Moor - there are lots up there.
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Hi Annhig, I smiled as I read your post and read it aloud to DH, as I have said the same thing about trying to get six people ready and out in the mornings. Sounds like we are kindred spirits.
So, I value your opinion and will now be looking for one central place to stay for three nights, with the fourth night being closer to Southampton. Thank you for your suggestions.
As for the type of place that we would like to stay in, I think most picturesque and quaint and typically "English" would be on the wish list.
To answer your question, we are Canadians - 4 of us spending the first three days in the Lake District visiting with family, then heading south, meeting up with the other two on day six comin into Heathrow. Between day six and day 10, we hope to explore Cornwall. There is some interest in Port Isaac and Tintagel Castle. Other than that our goals are to enjoy the views, scenery, countryside and pubs, small villages. We need to end up in Southampton on Day 10.
Thank you for your suggestions and I look forward to more!!
Tower - I enjoyed the photos - beautiful scenery to look forward to - and "GiGi's"
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Annhig, I forgot to reply to your question "how are you getting here?" Our plan was to rent cars.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 08:27 AM

so, have I got this right?

Day 1-4 - Lake District.
Day 5 - drive towards London.
Day 6 - go to LHR, collet friends, drive to Cornwall
Day 7-9 Cornwall
Day 10 - somewhere towards Southampton [? Salisbury?]
Day 11 - Southampton.

That's a lot of driving on days 5 & 6 - at least 4 hours [if you're lucky] between the Lakes and London, and another 4 hours ++ from LHR to the north coast of Cornwall. and you'd have to stick to motorways if you wanted to do all that in 2 days - the back roads would take far too long.

an alternative would be for you and the other three to fly straight from Manchester [about an hour's drive from the Lakes] to Newquay airport, and hire a car there. Meanwhile the others could get the train from Paddington [about 15 mins on the HEX from LHR] to Newquay [change at Par, it takes about 5 hours]. Far less driving for everyone [and it's only motorways so it's very boring] and much more relaxing.

as your main interests are on the north coast, i would suggest staying there - Padstow, Rock, or even Port Isaac itself would be the best options. From there you could easily get to Tintagel, St Ives, the Eden Project, Trevose Head - lots of places to see and quite enough for the 2-3 days you'd have.

hope that helps, not hinders!
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 08:56 AM

O.K. I know I'm butting in but does anyone have any updated info on the Port Gaverne Hotel in Port Isaac? We had a meal there on our honeymoon which I still remember and we said we'd go back to stay one day. 34 years later I'm thinking about it but being slightly discouraged by the reports on TA.
Thank you
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 09:30 AM

care to post a link, Frances? I've not heard bad things about it, but then we don't tend to stay in hotels in cornwall!
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 10:45 AM

Yes it's www.portgaverne.co.uk
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 01:38 AM

Hi Frances - that link took me to the village website but I went to booking.com and found that the travellers there [who after all are supposed to have stayed there] were pretty impressed:

http://www.booking.com/searchresults...U6hoCTiXw_wcB&

Long cross hotel which is only a mile or so away also gets good reviews.

I can see what you mean about the TA reviews - they are mixed to say the least - especially about the Christmas dinners!

I think that I might stay at a BnB and just go there for a meal, if you want to go down memory lane. alternatively have a splurge at Rick's or Nathan Outlaws. I've never eaten at either so I'd be interested in what you think.
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 01:05 PM

O.K. I'll have a look at these and let you know if I go.Thanks!
Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 02:20 AM
Original Poster

AnnHig, thanks for the great suggestions. I have been researching all of your ideas- that's one of the great parts of travelling. I now have some valid ideas to bring back to the group.

Frances - no worries about butting in.....LOL.....the more the merrier and it's all good information.

Please, keep it coming. We are in the early days of planning and can still use more input to help smooth the way.
Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 12:33 PM

no probs, CDN, happy to help. Do let me know how your planning is getting along and I'll try to make some more "helpful" suggestions.