Cornwall, Exeter airport shuttle or train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2017, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan to arrive into Newquay end of August and hope to take day trips over 3 or 4 days including boat ride to Isles of Scilly. (any help on this will be appreciated.)Tried several UK tour companies hoping to book on one of their trips but told they area sold out, and would not offer booking to solo traveler. I am senior citizen and have enjoyed St. Ives in recent years and visited Lands End and many lovely resorts. I will not be driving.

Looked at flights leaving Cornwall to connect with one going to Liston. Not many choices from Newquay; did see some leaving from Exeter which would take me up to Manchester where I would connect flight in 2 hrs. (Flybe & TAP.) This way I would save the expense of hotel.

Would like to find a bus or shuttle service to Exeter airport if anyone knows of one and would advise if necessary to staying overnight in a town close to airport . I can leave Newquay after 2 days to travel south and need some suggestions to make it easier and suggestions for more sightseeing in area. Will travel on buses for the day trips and hope to buy a senior pass on National Coach in advance. I did not see National Coach offered service to Exeter airport. Thank you to all for help.
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 01:59 PM

topping
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 02:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry Cavangal, it's probably me but I'm not exactly following what you are trying to do and what the problems are that you are encountering.

First of all I understand you want to fly into Newquay - from where are you coming? and where are you wanting to stay? in Newquay? Where are you planning to go from there?

Have you looked at the bus timetable?

https://www.firstgroup.com/cornwall/...=1&redirect=no

then you want to do several day trips including the Scilly Isles - I am not understanding what UK tour operators have to do with this. As you know Cornwall reasonably well, presumably you know that the boats to the Scillies go from Penzance so that would make a good place to stay as well as a good base for other day trips by bus or taxi.

I have no idea about whether there is a coach service to Exeter Airport but to get back to Exeter airport why not fly back to Exeter from the Scillies:

https://www.islesofscilly-travel.co.uk/book/

[BTW is Liston a typo? I don't know where that is]

You are right that you can't fly to Manchester from Newquay but you can fly to Doncaster 3x a week with Flybe - on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

hope this helps a bit - the end of August/September is a very good time to visit Cornwall as all the families with children have departed, the weather is usually good and the sea is at its warmest. please feel free to ask me anything else you like [about Cornwall, obviously!]
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 03:09 AM

I'm not exactly following your plans, either, but we are headed to Cornwall in May and have been researching the Isles of Scilly. As of yesterday, we have abandoned our plans even for a day trip there. The main ferry, the Scillonian, was simply too expensive for us (45£ per person, each way), plus we couldn't find affordable accommodations near St. Mary's. A daytrip was affordable, but there's a limit of one small bag on board and we couldn't ascertain if there was a place to store luggage. Plus, 2 hours 45 minutes each way on the ferry for a daytrip seemed a bit much for us. No problem, as we have other plans, but do look up Scillonian for ferries to the Scillies.
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 03:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to seat61 there is also a combined sleeper train-ferry ticket. Don't know how much it would save.
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 04:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You CAN fly from Newquay to MAN, non-stop on Flybe
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 09:10 AM

You're right Dukey, you can.

Why didn't i find that before?

[my fault for looking at their destinations map which wasn't blown up big enough].

St C - it's a shame that you have abandoned your plans to go to the Scillies, but for a short time it's probably not worth it given the time the ferry takes. What else do you plan to do instead?
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for responses. I have reservation on Aer Lingus flight from Dublin to Newquay so will book hotel for 2 nights. I enjoyed a tour of Cornwall and visited popular places and wanted to return and try to do day trips. Perhaps hotels might know of privately owned companies that do popular day trips. Had hoped there would be local buses or train. I am active and do a lot of walking and like nature trails also photography. I tried booking a tour with several well known companies and was unable to do so during the peak season. 2 tours I liked included a full day by ferry to Isles of Scilly so I immediately became interested. I will continue to Portugal for a week and did see the nonstop flight from Exeter to Manchester to connect with nonstop to Lisbon which was less travel time than most.
After Portugal I will book Aer Lingus one way return to Dublin for return flight to JFK.
I needed to be sure there was a way to reach Exeter as I have no knowledge of the distances from Newquay or Penzance to the Exeter airport.

I did check National Coach site journey is not listed. If it isn't too far from Penzance I can stay there overnight. Thanks to all for guidance.
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 11:47 AM

annhig, our plans are now:

Bergerac to Exeter on Flybe. Spend 3 nights with friends there.
2 nights in Penzance
2 nights in Bath
2 nights in Oxford
2 nights in Bristol
2 nights in Southampton
2 nights in Ryde, Isle of Wight
Flybe back from Southampton to Bergerac.

Isle of Wight looks a lot cheaper and maybe more interesting that the Isles of Scilly. And will give us our island fix. We booked one of those grand old Victorian seaside hotels for 2 nights, which will be a fine end to our wanderings, and it was only 62£a night, including breakfast.
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 01:07 PM

Cavangal - I still don't really understand your problem about getting to Manchester to catch your flight to Lisbon - as Dukey rightly tells me you can fly from Newquay to Manchester on one of Flybe's daily flights, so no need to get to Exeter Airport that I can see. Alternatively fly from Newquay to Faro in Portugal - Ryanair flies there 2x a week from Newquay on Tuesdays and Saturdays between March and November.

if you still want to go from Exeter airport, it's approx 100 miles from my house near Redruth to the centre of Exeter so from Penzance/Newquay to the airport it would be about 120 miles but as you're not driving, I don't quite see the point of the Q. The best way to get there would be the train from PZ to Exeter St David's [the main station in Exeter] and then a cab or the Stagecoach bus from Exeter st David's to the airport:

https://www.exeter-airport.co.uk/to-...m-the-airport/.

The train journey from PZ to Exeter is definitely one that is worth doing just for the views, particularly the wonderful stretch of coastline around Dawlish and the crossing of the Tamar on Brunel's bridge.

To get to the Scillies if you are in PZ is easy - you get the boat, always supposing you are there on the right day of course. You could then fly from the Scillies to Newquay or Exeter or even London to connect with a flight to Portugal. Alternatively fly from Newquay to Faro in Portugal - Ryanair flies there 2x a week from Newquay on Tuesdays and Saturdays between March and November.

As for tour companies, fodorite Toucan used Tim Uff from Tour Cornwall and was very impressed by him:

http://www.tourcornwall.com/the-moor...ast/4559813295
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for updates. I will look at flight from Newquay to Manchester. I avoid RYanair like the plague because of their hostility with hand luggage. I pay to check in my suitcase and even though my carryon was just 7k they forced me to pack a handbag on top at the gate. Haven't been on it since.
I had a holiday to Isle of Wight and Bournemouth a few times and enjoyed the areas. Will work on the flights today and see what looks better. I avoid using the very busy airports because of the long delays but I have US and EU passport which is easier. Bristol is easy also Manchester.
I was told by 2 popular companies that the St. Ives and day trip to Isles of Scilly is the most popular one so even in early Febr. they were sold out.
I made plans to visit Portugal and have been to Algarve so if I get a good deal to Faro could consider Portimao for a few days and then return to Liston on to Dublin.

I am looking at all my options so appreciate any help available. Kate
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 02:16 AM

I pay to check in my suitcase and even though my carryon was just 7k they forced me to pack a handbag on top at the gate. Haven't been on it since.>>

hi kate,

I wonder when your last experience of Ryanair was - they have got a lot better over the last few years and we have had good flights with them - certainly no worse than Easyjet. but I know what you mean - the arbitrary [money-making] rules are very wearing. But I've not experienced long delays with either of them - wherever I've flown from. at Bristol you can buy a "jump the queue" pass for not very much if that's a worry - it was about £3 last time we flew from there.
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ann. I have been on RYAN about 4 times in last few years. Had no delays and arrived safely. I feel when you pay all the extras, no service, even a glass of tap water, no tray to hold a snack or newspaper, its a very shabby carrier. I told them at the gate after the hostility that I was looking forward to my Delta flight next morning. I have taken Easy jet a few times and would rate it much better and never had problem with luggage. I also like Air France & SAS. Had flight from CDG to Copenhagen last year and was offered a delicious sandwich and choice of cappuchino or wine, at no cost;I paid for checking in my luggage had carryon was in overhead bin.

I am looking at the Flybe/TAP flights going via Manchester to Lisbon. I also looked at the ferry from Penzance so will stay 2 nights in Newquay then travel bus to Penzance and do the day trip to Scilly returning next morning to Newquay to overnight. I found the ferry charges reasonable (about 20STL each way and the buses about 14.00STL for r/t. When I have my bookings confirmed will do the hotel search. If you know of a place in Penzance appreciate referral. Thank you for taking the time to help me.
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 01:44 AM

Hi Cavangal - thanks for taking the trouble to explain your plans - they seem to be taking shape.

I've not stayed in PZ - no point as it's only 30 mins drive away, but when looking at accommodation for others here, spotted what look like a few nice places; this one looks particularly pleasant and it's in a very good position:

https://www.blueseashotel-penzance.co.uk

or this one:

http://www.warwickhousepenzance.co.uk

hope that helps.

BTW, Newquay airport is a little way out of Newquay. if you have an early flight, you might be better off staying nearby in St Mawgan which is a sweet little village. the pub has good food and rooms:

http://www.thefalconinnstmawgan.co.uk
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ann for info and will keep the hotel names. I read Newquay is just about 6 miles from airport and most airports provide shuttle busss but taking a taxi isn't a problem. I had a full day visit to Newquay enjoyed it.
I'll will try booking flights at weekend and if I cannot get connection from Manchester Bristol will be second choice as its a small airport. Would prefer arrival before 7pm. Will be in touch again soon. Kate