Copenhagen: Tivoli or LEGOland?

Aug 6th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Copenhagen: Tivoli or LEGOland?

Author: scurry
Date: 08/06/2006, 03:32 pm

I know this is the kind of question that is impossible to answer (and I know LEGOland isn't in Copenhagen) -- but for people who have done one or both:

Are they worth it? Why?

TIA!
Aug 6th, 2006, 01:04 PM

I guess I am one of the very few posters (here) woho wans't terribly impressed with Tivoli.

I had heard about it for years and several years ago while we were staying in Hamburg we purposely took a couple of days to go to Copenhagen with the main purpose of seeing Tivoli.

As an "amusement park" I've seen what I feel are more satisfying venues and I'm talking about the so-called "old fashioned" parks such as Kennywood in Pittsburgh. Perhaps I have enjoyed the latter types because the rides are better (IMO).

Cannot comment on LegoLand, unfortunately.
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the post
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:25 AM

If you go to Legoland, which is near Aarhus, you should know there's a smaller-scale Tivoli in Aarhus. Tivoli in Aarhus was a fun place to visit, but not much to see. I never actually got to Legoland.

Tivoli in Copenhagen looks nice, and I know it inspired Walt Disney to create Disneyland. But it's terribly expensive, and has relatively little to see. Tivoli might be worth a visit with kids, but otherwise, I suspect a half-hour might be sufficient for you. I vaguely recall you might be able to get a free admission to Tivoli with the Copenhagen Card. If so, might as well check it out.
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:38 AM
ira

Hi scurry,

You have replies to your earlier post.

Click on your name to find all of your postings.

Aug 7th, 2006, 02:49 AM
Original Poster

Yes -- I made a mistake and didn't post it properly in the "Denmark" section.

Sorry -- and thanks for pointing it out!

Aug 7th, 2006, 06:57 AM

We were completely under-whelmed by Tivoli. It is merely an amusement park, but extremely crowded and compact, with all of the people, noise, debris and chaos one would expect. We felt we wasted an evening that could've been better spent, had we known. So, we came, we saw, we left quickly.
Aug 8th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

I went to Tivoli this evening -- it was a beautiful night and a good way to spend a couple of hours.

But I do think it's best to go in with low expectations, then you will be pleasantly surprised!
Aug 8th, 2006, 04:15 PM

Well, if you're expecting Disneyland, you'll for sure be disappointed. I thought it was a fun place to stroll around for awhile, eat, etc. It's in the middle of the city so there's only so much space for it. There are a lot of families that go and it's just a fun atmosphere. It's not real cheap, but not so expensive that if you didn't like it you could leave. It's just hard to try to figure out what someone else would like...or not. I for sure wouldn't got to Legoland..just not MY thing. So, you'll just have to figure it out. I'll always check out a place I'm interested in. Sometimes it's a hit, and sometimes a miss, but at least I know.
Aug 8th, 2006, 04:18 PM

We (6 adults) spent a lovely evening in Tivoli. We didn't go on any rides, but enjoyed several concerts, a parade, the lights, the people watching, strolling the grounds, and a nice dinner.
Aug 8th, 2006, 05:31 PM

Hi scurry, just so you know.
All posts that are posted on the Europe Board end up on the Europe Board.

The country names (such as Denmark) are for search purposes only) and only work if the title indicates what country a poster is writing about.

When you post and start a thread, or even if you post to someone else's thread, if you click on your name (which is next to the Welcome at the upper left of your screen, or on any thread you have posted on..your other threads will show up).

I hope I have explained in a way that makes sense and will help you.
Aug 9th, 2006, 02:11 AM
Original Poster

Sorry -- I didn't mean to offend.

Tivoli was nice & interesting & fun for several hours and I would DEFINITELY go there if I had kids with me.

However it was VERY crowded and somewhat dated (both in a good and a bad way) so I can't say it was wonderful -- but I am glad that I went.
Aug 9th, 2006, 07:45 PM

I've been to both, though 8 years ago. Tivoli is a wonderful place to stroll around on a beautiful summer evening. Pretty music, beautiful lights and fountains, excellent people-watching, and some decent food. My kids (14,11, and 9 at the time), enjoyed the rides, and I enjoyed relaxing on a bench listening to a choir from Ohio and watching acrobats perform. For roller-coaster buffs, the oldest continuously-operating roller coaster in the worl is at Tivoli. Admission (though not rides) was free with a Copenhagen Card, so it didn't cost us to just wander in and walk around. Legoland appeals to a younger crowd (perhaps 3-10 years old), except for one thing, and that is the intricate little cityscapes made entirely our of Legos, with little trains, ships, windmills, drawbridges, locks and dams, etc. It was fascinating to look at, and it's what kept our 14-year-old amused while we were there. I believe after a certain time of day, it is free to just walk into Legoland and look around. The problem with seeing Legoland is that there is absolutely nothing else to see in Billund except Legoland (though the HI Hostel there was the best of the 3 we stayed at in Denmark).
Aug 11th, 2006, 09:18 PM

I think part of what Tivoli so wonderful is it's history. I think it has been around since the 1850's. My husband's grandmother immigrated to the US from Denmark in 1906 and he loved hearing her talk of her trips to Tivoli.

It is not a Great America Park. It is lovely flowers, music, fountains, food and people enjoying life. There are also a few rides. I liked a little water ride. My daughters and husband loved the small roller coaster. What we enjoyed seeing was that ALL ages were there, and it was a summer week night, where one assumes many people will have to work the next day. Old people were walking hand in hand or sitting on benches having an ice cream cone, the young were their with their babies. People were slowing down and taking time to enjoy the lights, sounds and entertainment.

True it was kind of expensive. We found the food there very expensive. But it was delightful.

My daughter lived in Copenhagen for 7 months and bought a season ticket to Tivoli. She loved to go to the rock concerts every Friday night. I have not been to LEGOland but my daughter took the train from Copenhagen, she felt it was a long ride and was very disappointed with it. She said it was just buildings and animals made from Legos. Instead of LEGOland, when we visited her we went to Fyn and saw Egskov Castle and then spent one night on Aero Island. Egskov was built in the middle of a lake and has lots of gardens around it. The ferry to Aero Island was fun in itself. Small cobblestone streets. Cute shops.

Search this Thread