Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Copenhagen-Stockholm-leaving in 6 weeks....

Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm excited...and have my books...and read this site religiously. Having a hard time focusing on planning what to see/do. 4 nights in former, 3 in latter...Help get me focused! Thanks.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 09:08 AM

Hi Native NewYorker, I'm topping this in hopes you get some replys. I'll be there almost the same time you will (I arrive July 21 for 4 nights Copenhagen, 2 Stockholm, then 2 more copenhagen.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 09:11 AM

There are a couple of threads going right now on Stockholm and Copenhagen. Try the search box. One of them should show up in the next 50 posts. I'll try to top it for you.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 09:22 AM

I topped a couple of the recent threads for you but they may sink fast. Just use the search box and they'll come back up if you can't find them.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 04:01 AM

Well since you aren't being giving much advice here I'll pass on to you some suggestions I've received from a woman (American) who is currently living in Stockholm. These are more of specific places to eat and shop rather than big sites to see. Those you can get from the books.

"There happens to be this amazing store right next to my building that sells Tomtar (the Swedish santa) and Trolls. I haven't actually been in, but they look to be of very high quality. It's on Österlanggatan, which is a great shopping street, a bit quieter than Västerlånggatan, the main shopping drag in Gamla Stan, where there is no shortage of wooden horses and butterknives (which i think are quintessentially Swedish). There is a nice restaurant that I recommend called Magnus Ladulas, right across the street from the troll store. They serve a good example of modern Swedish food, and it's in a cavelike atomosphere.
http://www.magnusladulas.lunchinfo.c.../part/8/id/432 (this part is in english)"

"I also suggest the princess cake, which you cand find at almost any cafe or bakery. Some interesting Swedish things to try are salt licorice, herring (which can be quite good ), strömming (Baltic herring-- usually fried), deer (hjort) or moose (älg) (which is quite common on restaurant menus), hjortron (cloudberries-- often served with ice cream-- really good!) and knäckebröd (you've probably seen it as Wasa bread, but there are many varieties here)."

"Also try this cafe -http://www.vetekatten.se/ - the coffee comes wth lunch and the have amazing cinnamon rolls and princess torta. It on Kungsgatan 55, and there is a really cool shop, just down the street called Iris Hantverk (they have all sorts of Swedish specialites) it's a chain, but that one is really nice".

In planning my Stockholm experience, I've used all the major guidebook sites. I found both Frommers and Rick Steves had very good walking tours.

Hopefully someone who's already been there will give us some more suggestions.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 04:13 AM

These types of queries are always answered best if you can provide what you're interested in (art, history, shopping, museums, walking...)

If it's just to tick off the top sites: Vasa Museum, Old Town, Royal Palace, Museum National Antiquities, Skansen (the first open air museum with examples of Swedish folk architecture, craft workshops and a zoo).

Since you'll be there in the summer I would also highly suggest a boat ride to an archipelago island.

Stockholm has a couple of very interesting smaller art museums and specialty museums (the Nordic Museum and Stockholm History Museum are quite good), wonderful shopping and an all-around superb setting for walking and exploring.

We've not spent time in Copenhagen, but the Louisiana Museum outside town is worth a visit if you like art and Roskilde has a cathedral and Viking Ship Museum.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 04:35 AM

I've been to both and would say 3/Copenhagen, 4/Stockholm. Do make sure you do the Archipielago Tour while in Stockholm. We also rented a car and drove around the archipielago (those bridged in). Also, while I found the Vasa interesting, I think the National Museum of Swedish History two blocks away is WAYYYYY more interesting. For one, they have REAL Viking ships, not a warship built by the Dutch that sank in 20 minutes (sorry, but the Vasa is more like a Disney exhibit TO ME....). I learned more about Sweden at the National Museum in 20 minutes than in two (wasted) hours at the Vasa. Just my $0.02.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 06:59 AM

ttt
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 08:33 AM

The Nobel Museum on Gamla Stan was very interesting I thought and I'm not a real museum person. Also the Stockholm Cathedral is right there. Dates from 12 th century and there are some amazing sculptures in the church. The Palace is right there also. If you are a red meat eater, the reindeer is delicious. I bought a couple of Tomptes at Tomptar and Troll, in Gamla Stan. I stayed in Nyhavn in Copenhagen. Loved the area..I was there in the dead of winter but I can see with better weather the area will be quite lively...restaurants, pubs, the beautiful canal. In Stockholm, I LOVED the Vassa museum, but to each his own. We spent a couple of hours and then had a snack in their restaurant before moving on. Food was good. We took a city tour in both cities. I found it helpful and I learned something about the history of each place. So, here's to a great trip for you.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 08:37 AM

OK, here it is: www.tomptar-troll.com
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 08:38 AM
DAX

For Copenhagen:

1.Have a meal at the picturesque Nyhaven port around sunset time for picture taking. Nice quaint port with plenty of food jonts/restaurants.

2. Tivoli theme park

3. Take the very modern commuter train to Malmo, Sweden which is just 1o miles away crossing the well known Oresund bridge. The train stops at the airport before crossing to water. Malmo is a small swedish town interesting enough for a day trip.

4. Visit the tiny mermaid monument which commemorates the legend that the Oresund used to have a lot of mermaids.

5. Walk through the long shopping avenue called Stroget.

6. Try one of the cool jazz clubs for one evening.

7. Day trip to Helsingor

I think 4 days are quite a long time to spend in Copenhagen, do you have Danish ancestry or relatives to visit? There's a lot of family beach resort towns south of Copenhagen which can be reached by train.

Old Jun 4th, 2006, 08:39 AM

Hmm...that sucks..I came back and tried the link and it didn't work. I googled the same link and it came rith up. It also came right up when I put in on the other thread. You'll find it I'm sure if you want to go there. Wonderful dolls, all hand made.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, all. We love walking around, and museums in small, managable doses. I love eating where the locals eat and walking and window shopping where the locals do. I got more focused over the weekend, starting read Rick Steve's in earnest. We do hope a day trip from both cities, so we're also seeing something outside of the city.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 12:58 PM

just returned a few weeks ago from Stockholm and finally got my trip report up, still working on my notes for the one from Copenhagen, but if you want to look at our 5 days in Stockholm report, the link to my Fodors trip report
is http://tinyurl.com/ptpvx
we absolutely loved it and I can not wait to go back. It is now one of my favortie cities in the world, amazing food, such a great "island" city where each area has it's own particular charm, and great for bicycling if you are so inclined. Have a ball !
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 01:39 PM

Eat salty licorice at your own peril!!!!
LOL The Danes and Swedes LOVE the stuff. I tried it: at first it's in your mouth and tastes just like licorice and then..wham..there it is the salt!!!! just YUK!!!! But...having said that, there are those who eat brains and stomaches and such..so who can say, it may be the Scandanavian treat you just LOVE to eat!!!!
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 03:18 PM

The Copenhagen leg of my trip report is up also if you are interested. tiny url link is:
http://tinyurl.com/oazwa