Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo

Old May 10th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo

I'm planing on traveling alone in Sweden, Norway, and Denmark during the last two weeks in June. I was wondering if anyone could suggest safe, clean, inexpensive hotels for a single traveler. I would prefer to have my own room. I'd appreciate any recommendations for specific hotels in Copenhagen, Stockholm, and Oslo. Please reference price ranges. Thank you!
Old May 13th, 2006, 04:52 PM

Don't have specific info to give, but we are planning a trip to those same countries in early June. Along with a Fodor's travel book, I borrowed another great book from the library "Rick Steves' Scandanavia". I also found he had a web site (similar to this one) and lots of people have posted good adivce there, including hotel info. Maybe you can check there. Sorry, I don't know the web address. Good luck, have fun, and safe travels.
Old May 13th, 2006, 05:49 PM

I was in Copenhagen and Stockholm a few months ago. I can't give you hotel suggestions because mine were much more expensive than what you are looking for. Also, it was my first visit to those cities so I'm far from expert. My neice has been living in Copenhagen this last year..actually coming home next week..but I can tell you that the crime rate is very low in those cities. You will have lots of daylight for going back to you hotel after dinner etc. The Danes drink and party a lot. Loud and noisy but not usually dangerous. My neice did say to stay away from the area around the train station. Not especially dangerous but kind of seedy and that's where all the sex shops are...that kind of thing. I think that usually applies to most cities. I think the suggestion for Rick Steves site is a good one to start with..he's known for budget travel. All three of those cities can be very expensive. You can eat sandwiches and soups, things like that in cafes to keep cost down. There are a lot of places in Copenhagen and Stockholm where you can get snack. In Copenhagen the have stands run by usually middle eastern persons that serve shwarmas. Chicken, beef, or ox served in a pita with a dressing..I think probably yogurt based and piled with veggies. Really really delicious, and by those cities standards, not at all expensive. You can also go to the grocery stores etc. and buy food much cheaper than restaurant. Almost eveyone in Copenhagen and Stockholm speak perfect english and many signs in english so you won't have any problem that way. I can't speak for Oslo. My neice had a study tour there a few months ago and just loved the city. So, hopefully you'll get additional information from some others here. Have a wonderful trip.
Old May 13th, 2006, 05:51 PM

I just noticed that you made a similar post to this one not long ago. If you can't locate your post, click on your name and your threads will come up so you can see the responses.
Old May 14th, 2006, 11:04 PM

I just got back from a mini trip to Copenhagen last week and could not believe how expensive everything was.A beer was about $7 USD .The entrance fee to "just" get into the Tivoli gardens was about $15 USD! I stayed with my daughter at the Hotel Maritime near Nyhavn and it was about $130 USD per night with breakfast. It was one of the cheapest places I could find. I would recommend using Lonely Planet series(they also have a website and a forum called Thorn Tree which is very informative) for finding an inexpensive place to stay.There are also two IBIS hotels(but around Tivoli and the train area) which is a cheaper chain overseas along with a hotel chain in Denmark called CAB HOTELS. The one I was going to stay at was the CAB CITY-check those out on the web .Go on the site for the various cities at Laterooms.com and you can also get an idea on prices and what they offer.I love Scandanavia but there is a reason why they are considered the richest Europeans-that 25% tax on everything covers the countries from "cradle to grave". Good luck!
Old May 28th, 2006, 04:38 PM

I stayed in Cph in January in the First Hotel Vesterbro, excellent, clean and wonderful breakfast included. Not sure of the rates now, it was reasonably priced in Jan. Convenient location! Riz Raz had a great buffet, inexpensive. another great cafe is the Hoeg Cafe in Vesterbro, delicious and not expensive, cool local crowd. Loved walking the Istegade, great little shops. I'm heading to Cph again in August and would also love to travel to Oslo by ferry, and to Stockholm. I've never been to either so I'm doing my research now.
Old May 28th, 2006, 05:04 PM

CCTravel: Yes, these are expensive cities, but they are among the most beautiful cities in Europe, particularly Stockholm, spread over islands and water. Inexpensive hotels are not easy to come by, but almost every hotel will give you an extensive breakfast buffet. Most of the mid-priced hotels don't mind if you take an extra roll and some cheese for lunch. This is important in countries where food is so expensive. The First Hotel chain is generally very good, as recommended by pixie. In Oslo, you might trty the Rainbow Cecil, which has rooms in the vicinity of $135-$145, maybe less for a single traveler. The exterior is unimpressive, but the rooms are nice and the location is great. Many hotel chains offer discounts beginning at Midsummer (celebrated on Friday or Saturday (or both) of the nearest weekend to June 21...this year June 23-24 in Sweden, so that may help. If you stay on the outskirts of town (not sure about the other two Scandinavian capitols, but Stockholm has an excellent metro and rail system that's not too expensive), you'll save some money. Also, since you're not paying for breakfast for two, single rooms will be a bit cheaper than doubles. The people are friendly, and as said above, the days are long. We've traveled in Scandinavia quite a bit and have never had safety concerns anywhere in these cities. E-mail me if you have more questions and you're still in the planning stage.
Old May 28th, 2006, 07:03 PM

ttt
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 03:04 PM

I just recently returned from Copenhagen and since I pick up every possible book/pamphlet wherever I am, I have one that might interest you titled
"Playtime: A non commercial guide for tourists on a low budget in Copenhagen." the web site listed on the back of it is
www.useit.dk

it has lodging, restaurants, inexpensive take away places, sighteseeing tips, etc. It looks like you can access it on their web site. Might be helpful.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 03:45 PM

Oslo is breathtakingly expensive, in our experience. Stockholm less so. And Copenhagen somewhere in between. One thing you have going for you is that mid-summer is vacation time in Scandinavia, commercial travelers generally are "off the road," and hotel prices slip a bit. In Stockholm, we stayed at Hotel Gamla Stan, a small, spotless-clean, medium priced place in the Old Quarter and but a short distance from the railway station. Recommend it highly. Fortunately, we stayed with friends in Copenhagen and our tour costs covered the sky-high hotel prices in Oslo. Good luck! And be prepared for prices only slightly less than in Japan.