Copenhagen Cell Service

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2016, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Copenhagen Cell Service

Hi all:

Sorry for any repeat posting, but:

I'm traveling to Copenhagen early next year, and want to make sure I have access to data and texting so I can find my way around using GPS. Because I don't speak Danish, I want to make extra sure I can get around by myself.

I have MetroPCS here in the US, and am wondering if anyone has any solid advice on securing cheap text // data for just a week while abroad?

Thank you!
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 09:53 AM

A crucial information nearly always lacking in this type of post is what is the model of the phone?

If we postulate that you have a newer smartphone, such as iPhone 5 or newer, Samsung Galaxy S5 or newer, then

There are several assumptions made here.

>>> I don't speak Danish

How does it impact you? Almost every local, especially in Copenhagen, speak very good English. Does it still matter that you don't speak Danish?

>> data and texting so I can find my way around using GPS

Why is texting needed for getting around using GPS?
Data access helps, but is not the fundamental requirement for a basic functionality of GPS. You can download offline map at home such are Google Map or HERE map of Denmark/Copenhagen and use GPS hardware. Neither require data connection of any kind after intial setup at home. If you indeed have a smartphone, try it at home. Download offline map of your area, set your phone to Airplane mode, wait until GPS locks your position and see if you can locate yourself on the offline map.

Regarding text/data need, if the need can be met by using Wifi at your accommodation, there is not need to secure mobile SMS/data capability. A usage model, not stated here, would determine which direction you can go.
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 10:04 AM

I would also add that I have visited 3 phone shops in Copenhagen on weekend. Two of them claimed did not have prepaid data plan. The third one had a plan, but all the SIMs were sold out due to massive number of tourists descending into this city and not expected to be restocked until beginning of the next week. Since I had a t-mobile plan, I had free data and text access as soon as my plane landed at Kastrup airport.
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 10:31 AM

>>> I don't speak Danish

Everyone over the age of 8 speaks English, you don't need any Danish language skills.

<i> so I can find my way around using GPS</I>
Where are you going exactly? Most tourists never get out of the city centre. Copenhagen is not very big and is easy to get around, with a basic map if necessary. Use the free wifi at cafes/stores/hotels.
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the solid advice, everyone!

I'd guessed some of the population spoke some English, but didn't want to assume out-of-hand.

It's an iPhone 5, so it looks like it meets the newer phone requirement.

The texting was so I could be in contact with people outside of WiFi zones. That was another precaution.

I didn't realize that GPS didn't need data! Thanks for the heads up; I'll try what you suggest with the predownloaded maps.

``

I'll probably just be exploring the urban core of Copenhagen and nearby areas, since I've never been to Denmark or Copenhagen before. Send any cool sight suggestions my way though!
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 12:39 PM

A phone with data really helps when exploring a new town, whether the locals speak English or not. I used Google Maps on my Android extensively to navigate by walking and by public transportation to get around. Yes, you can do GPS itself without data - just pre-load the maps ahead of time - but you won't have the ability to find the next bus or train if you will use them. I found the phone extremely handy and helpful. (I was in St. Petersburg in June where far fewer people speak English than in Copenhagen, plus I can't read the Cyrillic alphabet.)

I don't know much about iPhones, but I assume the iPhone 5 is unlocked and can roam on GSM in Europe, at least at the slowest EDGE data speeds, if you buy a local SIM for it in Denmark.

FYI, you can use the Google Hangouts Dialer app to make free calls back to the US while in Europe, even to landlines, while on WiFi, if you don't wind up buying a local SIM.